Poll

Trade Evan Turner or waive Perry Jones?

Trade Evan Turner... I'd like to see Perry Jones get a real shot in the NBA (like Crowder last year)
29 (69%)
Waive Perry Jones, I'd rather have Turner's proven game for a playoff run & re-sign him in 2016
13 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: So does Danny trade Evan Turner or give Perry Jones a legitimate shot in NBA?  (Read 10507 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
What's your call?

Turner's been fine for us, pretty reliable as a ball handler that can create his own shot and run the offense in spurts. He expires this year so the question is...if we keep him this year do we sign him longer term at the end of the season?

Jones has been a bit of a bust so far in his short career, but he hasn't really been given the opportunity sitting behind Durant, Westbrook,  Reggie Jackson, Sefalosha etc.. Scott Brooks never trusts young guys in any kind of meaningful game.
he's got size, length and Kevin Durant said he's the best athlete in the NBA.

So did we just take Jones to help OKC for minimal assets or did Danny specifically ask for P Jones so he could give him an opportunity year like Jae Crowder last season?

Someone needs to go given our bloated roster.
Who do you keep?

Personally I'd keep Jones and let him take Turner's 20-25 mins a game with Jerebko. He's got the tools to be a very good NBA player. I'd rather trade Turner now to a contender and try and nab Jones on a cheap Crowder like Deal if he looks good after a season under Brad.

what would you do and why?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
i've been riding in the 'get rid of ET' wagon for a while now, i could practically call shotgun lol so it's an obvious vote from me.

As the team is currently constructed, I really don't like the value ET gives us. If we were a contender, I think he'd be terrific off the bench (despite what his stint in Indy showed) because of his playmaking capabilities. But with us, he's probably our best player alongside IT4. And if ET is your best player, you're probably not going much further than a first-round sweep.

He's young, but in my eyes, he's pretty much a finished product. Good enough to deserve minutes wherever he goes but not someone who can be the face of a franchise. I'd rather give Smart the keys and live and die with the rest of our young guys.

- LilRip

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd like to just deal which ever player nets the best return. Turner is better than PJ3 but obviously PJ3 has some untapped upside.   Turner would have decent value with the right team. PJ3 not much.

Still have hope DA can get a package together for a border-line all star player using Brooklyn pick, AB, KO and either Turner or PJ3. Thinking Favors but that is highly unlikely.

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
if there ever was a posterboy of a big that needs more time -perry may be it
the aprhodisiac of height ,length and leaping abilty with his dribbling skills and defensive ability
 this makes perry a player that pre training camp is hard to let go of
as fans there is just not enough info on perry,not out of okc or out of waltham
evan did improve and help celts last year and is durable, a factor most leave out,
i would like to see him play for 2nd year with brad and a steady roster-its our frontcourt that is jammed up-turner can play sf so can perry-how can we give up on sully and kelly that are so young  for lee
-even jerebco is young if you go by mileage after being in detroit and again he should benefit from stability and having a full pre season
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:30:20 AM by rollie mass »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
i've been riding in the 'get rid of ET' wagon for a while now, i could practically call shotgun lol so it's an obvious vote from me.

As the team is currently constructed, I really don't like the value ET gives us. If we were a contender, I think he'd be terrific off the bench (despite what his stint in Indy showed) because of his playmaking capabilities. But with us, he's probably our best player alongside IT4. And if ET is your best player, you're probably not going much further than a first-round sweep.

He's young, but in my eyes, he's pretty much a finished product. Good enough to deserve minutes wherever he goes but not someone who can be the face of a franchise. I'd rather give Smart the keys and live and die with the rest of our young guys.
You may have been riding in it, but I invented it. jk.

But my opinion is to trade all the players that have reached or very close to reaching their ceilings. The West is stacked and the east is better but still we have the Cavs for a couple more years to deal with. Also if Durant comes to the EC I think that changes a bit.

But I think we need to stop, collaborate, and listen to what I am about to say......We are not winning a championship throwing money at role players for long term deals. We need stars or young players with potential ala Big Al and GG to trade, but we would need more than that because we already had PP and Ray. We offered 6 picks to CHA (thank god 4 jordan) for a pick we actually deserved more than them and could have had had Ainge waived Bass and Jonas at the trade deadline. But besides that Ainge could not do much more and we have more honor than to tank(coach and staff are in it to lose) and CBS is a great coach. So I'd trade away IT ET AB Zeller and KO/Sully, like I've said a million times. And focus on player development (IT alone should be able to nab us something good considering his contract) and eventually end up in top 5 for the draft, maybe better, and maybe BKN is right next to us.

2017 is a good draft with star material and 2016 has some great potential 3's and some guys that could come out of nowhere.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I trade Turnet four hundred and one times out of one hundred.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Turner is expendable

The last part

Resign and ET makes be want to lose my breakfast.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:34:30 AM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Perry Jones has done nothing in this league. Nothing. It's like he was drafted and took a sabbatical. ET has actually contributed to wins. The two aren't comparable.

I've never seen a player benefit from hype for so long after doing so little as Perry Jones.

ET is an actual NBA basketball player. PJ will likely be playing for Neptunas in Klaipeda Lithuania next year, or if things break well he could possibly be carrying Starbury's bags in China.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Perry Jones has done nothing in this league. Nothing. It's like he was drafted and took a sabbatical. ET has actually contributed to wins. The two aren't comparable.

I've never seen a player benefit from hype for so long after doing so little as Perry Jones.

ET is an actual NBA basketball player. PJ will likely be playing for Neptunas in Klaipeda Lithuania next year, or if things break well he could possibly be carrying Starbury's bags in China.

Well that's the whole point. He hasn't done anything because he hasn't had much of an opportunity. He's 23 years old and only played 43 games last year at 14 minutes a game- and that number is bloated because he play heavy minutes when Westbrook and Durant both went down. Kelly Olynyk is 24 years old. Would Kelly Olynyk have gotten any time on that Thunder team last year or any serious contender?

I mean there's potential there. Jae Crowder was a nobody before he came here too. Evan Turner is what he is- a solid role player.
We need young talent with potential and that's what Jones is. He at least needs an opportunity to show that potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoUsa9XoE7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPjMeO39ySs

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He didn't get playing time because he didn't deserve it and he did nothing with it.  Did he ever dominate D League or summer league? Has he done anything at all whatsovever?

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The only way Turner gets traded this season is if it's in a package for someone who's pretty good.

There is ZERO chance we trade Turner for picks, ZERO.

There is ZERO chance we dump Turner to make room for PJ3 or anyone else this year, ZERO!!!

Turner is going to be our starting PG again this season.  Smart isn't ready. IT doesn't fit in the starting 5.  Turner is legitimately our ONLY good option at the starting PG spot.

That being said, if Danny's goal was to tank this season, then he would trade Turner, but we all know Danny's goal is to get back into the playoffs and show UFA star players that the Celtics are CLOSE.

We can't get CLOSE without Turner this year.

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
This one is a non brainer. TRADE TURNER ASAP FOR ANYTHING. PJIII is like a high upside rookie but with 3 years in the league watching Westbrook and Durant on a daily basis. Plus, he does not need to handle the ball which is the most critical point. Turner will only stunt the development of Smart and Rozier. This the ideal addition by subtraction move.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
So I'd trade away IT ET AB Zeller and KO/Sully, like I've said a million times. And focus on player development

And this is why I hate Hinkie.

Mike

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I mean, I'm as hopeful as the next guy that PJ3 can tap into his potential.  But NBA talent evaluators, like all of them pretty much, think that's unlikely.  Any team could have had him for free, but no one wanted him.  Even Hinkie wasn't interested.  The Celtics presumably gave OKC the best offer, and that offer was for OKC to pay about 3/4 of his salary and send over a draft pick.  People really need to temper their expectations.  PJ3 will be given a chance to earn a spot on the roster, and if he earns that spot, he'll be given a chance to earn playing time.  But no trades should be made until he earns that spot.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I mean, I'm as hopeful as the next guy that PJ3 can tap into his potential.  But NBA talent evaluators, like all of them pretty much, think that's unlikely.  Any team could have had him for free, but no one wanted him.  Even Hinkie wasn't interested.  The Celtics presumably gave OKC the best offer, and that offer was for OKC to pay about 3/4 of his salary and send over a draft pick.  People really need to temper their expectations.  PJ3 will be given a chance to earn a spot on the roster, and if he earns that spot, he'll be given a chance to earn playing time.  But no trades should be made until he earns that spot.
ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...this IS cb, after all.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva