Author Topic: Should the Redsox hire Torey Lovullo as manager?  (Read 6301 times)

Should the Redsox hire Torey Lovullo as manager?
« on: August 29, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Take off the interim label and give him a proper deal to be the head coach for the rest of this season and next. Before another team strals him away.

I feel bad for Farrell and hope he recovers but even when healthy he has been pretty bad the last 2 seasons.  TL looks like a very good fit for this team moving fwd. We are winning close games again.  We are 7-3 in the last 10. Overall good record since TL has taken over. He is known to be compassionate but also highly competitive coach. 

http://m.telegram.com/article/20150827/SPORTS/150829269

“He’s the best decoder I’ve ever seen in baseball,” Butterfield said.
As a minor league manager, Lovullo tried to teach those skills to his players to put them in position to win games upon reaching the major leagues. Now at the helm himself, he can put those skills to use to win games — even in an interim position with a team that’s going nowhere.
“There’s more to the game than just walking up to home plate and getting a base hit,” he said. “If you’re aware of it, it’ll help you when you get to the next level. At this level here, these guys are built on a lot of different components — talent, god-given ability, hard work, and they’re built on separating themselves mentally, and I wanted our guys to be able to do that.”
“He has a very, very intense commitment to strategize and find any possible way to find that competitive advantage,” Atkins said. “He really has a nice combination of compassion and competitiveness that puts players in a good environment.”     
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:34:27 AM by triboy16f »

Re: Should the Redsox hire Torey Lovullo as the head coach?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:49:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Take off the interim label and give him a proper deal to be the head coach for the rest of this season and next. Before another team strals him away.

I feel bad for Farrell and hope he recovers but even when healthy he has been pretty bad the last 2 seasons.  TL looks like a very good fit for this team moving fwd. We are winning close games again.  We are 7-3 in the last 10. Overall good record since TL has taken over. He is known to be compassionate but also highly competitive coach. 

http://m.telegram.com/article/20150827/SPORTS/150829269

“He’s the best decoder I’ve ever seen in baseball,” Butterfield said.
As a minor league manager, Lovullo tried to teach those skills to his players to put them in position to win games upon reaching the major leagues. Now at the helm himself, he can put those skills to use to win games — even in an interim position with a team that’s going nowhere.
“There’s more to the game than just walking up to home plate and getting a base hit,” he said. “If you’re aware of it, it’ll help you when you get to the next level. At this level here, these guys are built on a lot of different components — talent, god-given ability, hard work, and they’re built on separating themselves mentally, and I wanted our guys to be able to do that.”
“He has a very, very intense commitment to strategize and find any possible way to find that competitive advantage,” Atkins said. “He really has a nice combination of compassion and competitiveness that puts players in a good environment.”     

To be fair, the Sox had already started performing better before Farrell got sick, but I agree with you that Lovullo seems to have some managing chops. This season will go down as an overall disappointment, but the way the Sox have been playing lately has me hopeful for next year.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I assume you mean manger here?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 11:54:16 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The recent run makes you wonder why Dombrowski was brought in. The team that Cherington put together is doing just fine after initial bumps in the road.

(This post is only slightly facetious.)

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 11:55:45 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

No, he means making Lovullo the first head coach in MLB history. It'll be a special event on NESN- Red Sox: Historical Hires

(This post is entirely facetious.)

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:33:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

yeah, my bad. Updated

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The recent run makes you wonder why Dombrowski was brought in. The team that Cherington put together is doing just fine after initial bumps in the road.

(This post is only slightly facetious.)

because Cherington screwed up signing Ramirez, Panda , trading for Porcello.  2 seasons in a row coming last place.