Author Topic: rj hunter gave summer league masterclass  (Read 4248 times)

Re: rj hunter gave summer league masterclass
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 02:33:39 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
rj hunter gave summer league masterclass

already weeks ago Larbrd33 showed through exhaustive data comparison, that at least statistically, it was nothing special.

now people talk about the eye test, his movement, his body, you name it.

IMO all we know for sure is that he is a rookie with a good shot range.

It will take at least a few months into the season to start getting an idea of what his real ceiling is.
I'll just say that his "summer league masterclass" was significantly less impressive than his "college masterclass"...   

It just depends how much you really want to depend on a "college masterclass" to determine a player's NBA future.   Yes, he was great in College - Through three years of college basketball he averaged 18.4 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.9 steals with 42%/35%/85% shooting.  Three years of eye tests and movement and body exams was enough to get him drafted 28th this year behind 27 other rookies.  So what does that mean? 

Brian Scalabrine's sophomore year at USC he averaged 18 points, 6 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 53%/40%/71% shooting... scal was taken in the same draft range as Hunter (#34)... he too averaged 12 points in Summer league... by all accounts he passed many eye tests...  and he had a nice little productive career in the NBA.  Perhaps RJ will follow the path Scal paved for him.

Again, RJ spent 3 years outperforming the majority of guys on the College level.  Why was is it enlightening to anyone that he managed to play a handful of mediocre games against primarily undrafted semi-pros?  It would have been concerning if he wasn't able to show some signs in the summer league.  If we're judging him based on his college and summerleague career, so far he projects to be a homeless man's Adam Morrison (Adam was better on both levels).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:44:34 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 02:47:31 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

already weeks ago Larbrd33 showed through exhaustive data comparison, that at least statistically, it was nothing special.

It will take at least a few months into the season to start getting an idea of what his real ceiling is.
I'll just say that his "summer league masterclass" was significantly less impressive than his "college masterclass"...   

It just depends how much you really want to depend on a "college masterclass" to determine a player's NBA future.   Yes, he was great in College - Through three years of college basketball he averaged 18.4 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.9 steals with 42%/35%/85% shooting.  Three years of eye tests and movement and body exams was enough to get him drafted 28th this year behind 27 other rookies.  So what does that mean? 

Brian Scalabrine's sophomore year at USC he averaged 18 points, 6 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 53%/40%/71% shooting... scal was taken in the same draft range as Hunter (#34)... he too averaged 12 points in Summer league... by all accounts he passed many eye tests...  and he had a nice little productive career in the NBA.  Perhaps RJ will follow the path Scal paved for him.

Again, RJ spent 3 years outperforming the majority of guys on the College level.  Why was is it enlightening to anyone that he managed to play a handful of mediocre games against primarily undrafted semi-pros?  It would have been concerning if he wasn't able to show some signs in the summer league.  If we're judging him based on his college and summerleague career, so far he projects to be a homeless man's Adam Morrison (Adam was better on both levels).

You do realize that in reddit terms you just paved your way to massive downvoting  :-\

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 02:52:28 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Just adding to the discussion - RJ is really not that poor athletically. Most of his drills result are middle of the pack. Not great, but not at disadvantage to his fellow rookies.

Lane Agility - 10.97 sec (better than Justin Anderson and Kelly Oubre, among others)
3/4 Sprint - 3.26 sec (better than Oubre, J. "athletic freak" P. Tokoto)
No-step - 27.5
Max - 33.5 - both jumps are below average, but not poor

For comparison, Klay Thompson's results are worse throughout:
Lane Agility - 10.99 sec
3/4 Sprint -
No-step - 26.5
Max - 31.5
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 03:14:49 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

I was not expecting the passing ability and I was pleasantly surprised by his awareness on D. This raised my ceiling projections (or in better words, my subjective hopes on him).

I was expecting a gunner. I got a versatile option on offense (the ability to spot, curl off screens and shoot or pass it) and the hope of non-liability on defense.

In addition to what I saw to get my own hopes up, I imagine a beautiful match skill-wise with Smart. What Marcus lacks somewhat in shooting and offensive playmaking, RJ gives and the other way around.

A lot of dreaming going on and I see nothing bad about it.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 04:11:40 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
RJ for Nerlens Noel (and cash).

Seriously, will be good fun to see how RJ contributes on both ends. Poor J Young still gets so lost down the serious end.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.