Author Topic: Will Smart and Pj3 have breakout seasons?  (Read 2156 times)

Will Smart and Pj3 have breakout seasons?
« on: August 29, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Smart is the guy most people have their eye on.  He was a top rookie (able to do all sorts of things in college at a high level) before  coming down to earth in his rookie year in the NBA. Still his motor/effort for 95 percent was the same as it was in college.   Especially on the defensive end
In the SL, he came into camp looking stronger. You could see added definition, slightly increased quickness and explosiveness. It was clear he was playing on another level vs the SL rookies.
Do you think he is ready to breakout, especially on the offensive end? Can he progress to 14 pts scoring on avg this season?

PJ3 has been considered the Durant "stunt man" since being drafted by OKC. Similar size, athletic ability, and several games (30 plus points outburst) where Durant was not missed. Maybe PJ3 can start in his own movie one day. Maybe
Pj3 has all the tools and ridiculous size/athleticism for a SF to consistently good in this league.  But either he has the Jeff Green syndrome (inconsistency) or has never had consistent opportunity to prove himself.  Can CBS help take PJ3 game to another level?
As a start, coming off the bench, can he provide 10-12ppg ?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:34:37 AM by triboy16f »

Re: Will Smart and Pj3 have breakout seasons?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think it will be a good season for Smart if he can average around 10-12 points per game, while shooting over 40 percent.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
PJ3 will be in the D-League, likely not employed by an NBA team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
PJ3 will be in the D-League, likely not employed by an NBA team.
so, for him...this is a breakout?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm not sure Smart will ever have a breakout season.  He seems more like the sort of guy who gets a bit better every year until you suddenly realize that he's one of the best in the league at his position.

Sadly, PJIII looks like he's most likely to get cut in camp.  Maybe that will light a fire under him.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Kind of agree with mbunge.  Smart to me is the best defensive guard I've seen come into league since Payton.  So he really can't improve on defense.  He can improve his shooting and offensive handle every year.  He's a guy I see improving every year and by year four should be getting some all star considerations. 
Perry, unknown.  If he gets minutes in rotation I'd expect him to be a steal.  Has the physical gifts and tools but does he have the fire ala Jeff green.
Breakout season dark horse. Jonas jerebko

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Smart can still improve on defense. There are times when he can be a little more patient and as with every player, the game will slow down for him as he gets older, sepecially off the ball. He might have been Boston's best defender last year but he wasn't perfect.

I've really only seen PJ3 highlights and in those highlight, his talents are evident but so are his lack of fundamentals. His footwork is bad and he looks like he relies too much on his athleticism to do difficult things that could be easier if he were a smarter player. If Stevens can turn him into a basketball player (as opposed to the raw athlete he is now) he could be starting for this team byt mid season. But that's a big if. He's just as likely to be cut before the season. Still, he might have the highest upside of anyone on the team, even Smart.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart is at least one more year away. It's still too early and the team makeup isn't supportive to him breaking out this season. I expect some more development. Stat wise maybe 20% more production.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Smart could break out, he will certainly be given the opportunity with PT. Jones however, will have to fight for minutes with Crowder, Jerebko, maybe Turner. I don't see him breaking out unless he impresses Steven right away.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:19:45 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
But either he has the Jeff Green syndrome (inconsistency) or has never had consistent opportunity to prove himself

I would kill for PJ3 to turn into Jeff Green.

Smart I was really high on last year and still pretty much am, but if a team with a clear upgrade at any position wanted him, I probably wouldn't hesitate to make the trade.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
But either he has the Jeff Green syndrome (inconsistency) or has never had consistent opportunity to prove himself

Smart I was really high on last year and still pretty much am, but if a team with a clear upgrade at any position wanted him, I probably wouldn't hesitate to make the trade.
You might be the only Celtic fan that wants another Jeff Green.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Having a Jeff Green as a role player wouldnt be a bad thing. Having Jeff Green as a core piece of your team would be a bad thing.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Having a Jeff Green as a role player wouldnt be a bad thing. Having Jeff Green as a core piece of your team would be a bad thing.

I agree.  PJ3 has not even reached Jeff Green inconsistency level yet. Meaning Green worse case coming off the bench, can give you 10-12 ppg. 

PJ3 definitely lacks fundamentals and relies alot on his athleticism.  But he is still young and CBS could drill the fundamentals into him. Otherwise you can't play on the court. 

So maybe that is what Danny was thinking when getting PJ3. The guys has worldclass athleticism, size for a SF, skills but lacks the nuts and bolts. CBS is a master of nuts and bolts. It could turn out to be a glorious marriage..... or PJ3 never getting any minutes.   

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
For Smart to avg 14ppg this season, it will be quite a jump. Maybe 12 ppg will be more realistic

So 14ppg plus over 42 fg percentage imo will be considered a breakout season.  He will likely score a few 25, 30 pt games , get the crowed on their feet and want to try to keep doing this

Defensively he is better than 70 percent of the guards already in the NBA. not worried about this part of the game.  I think he will make all defensive 2nd team very soon

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Hunter

D

Man