Author Topic: Name some players Ainge was "high on" in drafts past  (Read 5788 times)

Re: Name some players Ainge was "high on" in drafts past
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Greg Oden

Hasn't he said multiple times that he would have taken Durant if he got the first pick?
If he has I think he's lying
and the basis for your accusation would be...what? please support such statements with some links, quotes, anything to make this rise about the level of character assassination and become a real point for discussion.
I have to post links and whatnot to say I don't believe everything Danny Ainge always says? You believe in his role as GM he tells the media, fans, players, agents, and other GMs everything he believes with 100% truth all the time? That's a very interesting theory.
you stated that your views are driven by a pre-exisiting disbelief of what danny says. i asked for proof to show your accusation is not simply a fiction driven by this extreme view.

please show me where i say "100%" trust in danny. i never have. no need to make things up.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i'll give you one, Ji Jinlan or whatever!!! wait a second i'll google him. Yi Jianlian

i remember rumors that danny would kill for this guy,  ::)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Do we really know who Danny liked?  Isn't he pretty good at misdirection?

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fab Melo

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Greg Oden

Hasn't he said multiple times that he would have taken Durant if he got the first pick?
and the basis for your accusation would be...what? please support such statements with some links, quotes, anything to make this rise about the level of character assassination and become a real point for discussion.
I have to post links and whatnot to say I don't believe everything Danny Ainge always says? You believe in his role as GM he tells the media, fans, players, agents, and other GMs everything he believes with 100% truth all the time? That's a very interesting theory.
you stated that your views are driven by a pre-exisiting disbelief of what danny says. i asked for proof to show your accusation is not simply a fiction driven by this extreme view.

please show me where i say "100%" trust in danny. i never have. no need to make things up.
I don't even understand what you're saying. You're saying I have to believe Danny was going to pick Durant over Oden, given the opportunity, because he says it? Is that what you're saying? He said it so I have to believe it? I don't believe him. I think he conveniently Monday Morning Quarterbacked. If you can show me evidence that he said that right after the draft or before Oden was hurt I'd be more inclined to believe it. That's not my memory of it at all.

I'd go so far as to say it might be possible he was high on both but was higher on Durant and maybe would have traded down to the 2 spot given the opportunity. I think the draft was widely seen as a two player draft, and not only was there universal agreement Oden was the top pick, but that agreement had existed for years, similar to how people agreed for years that Lebron would be the top pick. Open was seen as possibly the biggest no brainer pick I have ever seen in any sport. More than Manning over Leaf. More than M Vick. More than even Bron over Melo. Way way way more than Karl Anthony Towns over Jahil. I don't remember a single analyst or team suggesting Oden could go after Durant. So to be more clear not only do I not remember Ainge suggesting Durant over Oden (at any time immediately near draft day...when it would have mattered), I don't remember ANYONE suggesting that.

Furthermore. We all heard raging rumors Danny was trying to trade up this year big time. Was there even one credible rumor that year that for even one second Danny attempted to trade up from 5 to 2 Penny Hardaway/Chris Webber style? Anything? Or did he just immediately ship it out for the much older Ray Allen?

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 02:57:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Anyway. The whole Ainge would have taken Durant thing might be a myth anyway.

http://www.celticshub.com/2009/11/02/revisiting-the-07-draft-would-the-cs-have-taken-odendurant/

So uh....who was right? Who was wrong?

I was wrong. The player he was high on was Garnett. Apparently.

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I pretty much think that Ainge is GREAT at making trades---but Awful at drafting...So maybe he Should trade those Brooklyn picks---They call him "Trader" Danny after all.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Greg Oden

I don't even understand what you're saying. You're saying I have to believe Danny was going to pick Durant over Oden, given the opportunity, because he says it? Is that what you're saying? He said it so I have to believe it? I don't believe him. I think he conveniently Monday Morning Quarterbacked. If you can show me evidence that he said that right after the draft or before Oden was hurt I'd be more inclined to believe it. That's not my memory of it at all.

I'd go so far as to say it might be possible he was high on both but was higher on Durant and maybe would have traded down to the 2 spot given the opportunity. I think the draft was widely seen as a two player draft, and not only was there universal agreement Oden was the top pick, but that agreement had existed for years, similar to how people agreed for years that Lebron would be the top pick. Open was seen as possibly the biggest no brainer pick I have ever seen in any sport. More than Manning over Leaf. More than M Vick. More than even Bron over Melo. Way way way more than Karl Anthony Towns over Jahil. I don't remember a single analyst or team suggesting Oden could go after Durant. So to be more clear not only do I not remember Ainge suggesting Durant over Oden (at any time immediately near draft day...when it would have mattered), I don't remember ANYONE suggesting that.

Furthermore. We all heard raging rumors Danny was trying to trade up this year big time. Was there even one credible rumor that year that for even one second Danny attempted to trade up from 5 to 2 Penny Hardaway/Chris Webber style? Anything? Or did he just immediately ship it out for the much older Ray Allen?
its quite simple. you made a statement concerning danny on whether he lied or not. as before, i asked for something aside from your belief. see? simple.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
God, imagine if we got Durant and still traded Jefferson for KG. That would be the greatest trio of forwards-- perhaps the greatest trio of players-- ever to step on the court together. We could start Durant at the 3, PP at the 4 and KG at the 5. Rondo would get 20 assists per game.

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Greg Oden

its quite simple. you made a statement concerning danny on whether he lied or not. as before, i asked for something aside from your belief. see? simple.
You've never believed something because you believed it? You never just thought someone was full of it?
You just go through life kinda like that early Greek philosopher who argued with his students everything was unknowable and therefore they shouldn't expect him to fall off the cliff if he walked off it, and he was going to until his students convinced him he would "probably" fall off if he did that?
Hmmm....I think I know one more person I think is full of it now. Simple. See?