Author Topic: Name some players Ainge was "high on" in drafts past  (Read 5793 times)

Re: Name some players Ainge was "high on" in drafts past
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 03:51:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hordford,
Favors,
Randle,
Harden, (DA even inquired before Rocket trade3)
Westbrook,
McBuckets (slightly),
Brook Lopez,
Olidipo,
Cousins

Some names heard around DA through the years or predrafts.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Greg Oden

Hasn't he said multiple times that he would have taken Durant if he got the first pick?
If he has I think he's lying

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 09:10:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of those names were smokescreens with Ainge, I am sure.

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Kaminsky. And I think Darius Songalia broke his heart.

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sebastian Telfair

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Tyreke Evans and if I remember correctly an Oriene Greene promise prevented him from drafting Amir Johnson

Edit: Didn't see the first page of this post
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Greg Oden

Hasn't he said multiple times that he would have taken Durant if he got the first pick?
and the basis for your accusation would be...what? please support such statements with some links, quotes, anything to make this rise about the level of character assassination and become a real point for discussion.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Greg Oden

and the basis for your accusation would be...what? please support such statements with some links, quotes, anything to make this rise about the level of character assassination and become a real point for discussion.
I have to post links and whatnot to say I don't believe everything Danny Ainge always says? You believe in his role as GM he tells the media, fans, players, agents, and other GMs everything he believes with 100% truth all the time? That's a very interesting theory.

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Chris Paul.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 11:12:08 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Greg Oden

I have to post links and whatnot to say I don't believe everything Danny Ainge always says? You believe in his role as GM he tells the media, fans, players, agents, and other GMs everything he believes with 100% truth all the time? That's a very interesting theory.

As is believing that everything he says as a lie
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2015, 11:24:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Greg Oden

Never said "everything" he says is a lie.  Said I don't believe him on this.  At the time there was nearly universal agreement Oden was a generational talent at a spot that is very hard to fill. We had Pierce at sf. We had Al Jefferson at pf.  I ...do...not...believe ...he would have picked Durant over Oden.  I don't believe there were any serious medical issues that teams were seeing as red flags that would have prevented them from picking him. Even if there were red flags we've seen with the whole Embiid thing teams will pick a good big anyway just for chance at greatness at that position.

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Oden always looked 30 years old when he was at OSU, I thought.  Dude looks like he had it rough at some points.  That being said, he has not changed a whole lot since then.

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Greg Oden

Never said "everything" he says is a lie.  Said I don't believe him on this.  At the time there was nearly universal agreement Oden was a generational talent at a spot that is very hard to fill. We had Pierce at sf. We had Al Jefferson at pf.  I ...do...not...believe ...he would have picked Durant over Oden.  I don't believe there were any serious medical issues that teams were seeing as red flags that would have prevented them from picking him. Even if there were red flags we've seen with the whole Embiid thing teams will pick a good big anyway just for chance at greatness at that position.

I can definitely get that, I don't see why you would assume hwangjini_1 thinks everything Ainge says is the truth just because he believes him on this if you believe he lies sometimes and tells the truth sometimes

Your theory definitely has some merit, makes me think about it, and would have been a much better answer than "why do you think Ainge always tells the truth?"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Greg Oden

I can definitely get that, I don't see why you would assume hwangjini_1 thinks everything Ainge says is the truth just because he believes him on this if you believe he lies sometimes and tells the truth sometimes

Your theory definitely has some merit, makes me think about it, and would have been a much better answer than "why do you think Ainge always tells the truth?"
I 100% believe DA about Durant over Oden. He was saying Durant before the injury concerns with Oden. I recall him reminding people about Jordan draft (reason why you dont just take size over talent you may miss a generational player). Also isnt DA considered one of the most up-front and honest GMs in the NBA. Even to the point where many consider it a negative. Things have been easily confirmed for players, GMs, and reporters by them simply asking DA and him honestly answering them such as with trades and player opinions. Big reason most of DA's tire kicking is reported quickly. And on top of that he was also a bishop for his church. I will question his choices but not his honesty or leadership.

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
What I've heard is the Ainge would've taken Durant over Oden. But even if that's not true, Oden was the favorite to go #1. I wouldn't blame Ainge if he was actually higher on Oden.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008