Author Topic: More guard talk..  (Read 3256 times)

More guard talk..
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:49:32 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Am I the only that thinks that the best future Boston backcourt is Smart and Hunter? If not, they would definitely be the most entertaining guard combo. Essentially you have a bull-in-china-shop player paired next to a crafty gazelle with range for days. Keep in mind, my optimism/excitement is based on the future, with no regard to the crowded guard situation.

Defensively: Hunter played pretty good defense from what I saw in Summer League, and anytime your 2-guard has a 6'11 wingspan, he can be effective (Remember Shaun Livingston guarding IT4?). Only thing RJ needs is to reach the 200lbs mark to prevent getting bullied by stronger guards (but that's why Marcus would provide the switch anyway). Of course, everyone knows what type of defense they'll get from Marcus.

Offensively: RJ's range and shooting would be ideal to stretch space for Marcus to drive. Unlikely pairing Marcus with a midrange shooter like Avery, putting RJ would give the shooting that matches how Pace&Space should be. Right now, I would say that they're both above average at ballhandling, with room to improve. But assuming they do, they can share ballhandling duties that compliment each other. We saw flashes from both of them that shows how well they can pass the rock, so that's another plus.

It'll be interesting to see how the analytics view this combo by year's end, but it'll be the one I look forward to seeing the most.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: More guard talk..
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Given our current options and Hunter's size, I do think they're our best long-term pairing in the backcourt, especially because Hunter can always help Smart with the ball-handling responsibilities.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's all pure speculation since we haven't seen any of these rookies actually play in a game but...

I'm pinning my hopes on Rozier. I really like the idea of Rozier and Smart as both being combo guards who can share playmaking duties on offense. Defensively, Smart might be better suited to bigger guards because of how strong he is. Rozier seems better suited to the quick pg's that Smart has had some trouble with.

If Rozier and Smart can both hit the 3 with any kind of consistency (at least 35% would be nice) I love the idea of them being a destructive defensive pair.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:35:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I have reservations as to two combo guards sharing playmaking duties. I know it's where the position of PG has been heading for some time on some teams in the NBA, but still IMO you need two guards with special chemistry to share anything.
But, for the sake of argument lets say it can work.

If I had to choose a pair, I think Rosier (depending on how he develops) and Smart would be quite a backcourt. Improved speed with the addition of Rosier, with no let down in defense, both are solid passers getting better, and both should develop into solid scorers, and 3pt. shooters.

RJ could be a nice icing on the cake.

Of course we're talking a few years away.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:07:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So long as 2 are legit high quality starters that out play their opponents I don't care who it is. Hopefully all of them perform. My hope is that it is a 7 headed hydra for guard (each guard working well no matter the combo) where they as a unit crush the competition.
Smart, IT, Rozier, AB, Hunter, Young, Turner.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:36:14 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Given our current options and Hunter's size, I do think they're our best long-term pairing in the backcourt, especially because Hunter can always help Smart with the ball-handling responsibilities.

Yeah, Hunter sure seemed like he could become a capable ball handler and play-maker in SL. He has such good range and length, and he's got a really high BBIQ. With some added strength, I think a Smart-Hunter pairing could prove to be a very good one. Especially with the improvement I saw in Smart's shot and off-ball skills last season.

Interestingly, I think the Smart-Rozier backcourt could turn out pretty good in it's own way if things go right. I see a whole lot of similarities between Rozier and Bradley, but Rozier probably has more up-side than AB had coming into the league. Celtic fans are gonna like Rozier, IMO. The kid is as tough as nails, he's never intimidated, he has great length and athleticism for a guy who's 6'2. Were gonna love his defense once he gets adjusted to the NBA. Not quite as good as Smart but a lot like early AB. The "burst" coaches always mention is 100% legit. What's gonna be key for him is how well his shot develops and if he can use that burst to slip around picks and get that extra separation on screens for a cleaner look. If he can develop his shot the way AB has I think that could be quote a tandem as well.

I even think either one of Rozier or Hunter could come off the bench and be very effective. I'm starting to lean towards dumping ET during camp. I'd really like to see guys like Rozier, Hunter, Young and Jones get an opportunity to step up.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 12:00:52 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
How far into the future are you looking?

In terms of short-term future (next two or so years), I still think Smart and Bradley are still the best combo given our current roster.  Bradley is one of the best on-ball defenders in the league.  His primary defensive weakness is getting screened off by opposing bigs due to his lack of size whether he's guarding SGs or PGs.  But I predict that this will be the exact same issue with Hunter (as well as Rozier).  Hunter's lateral mobility isn't exactly a true weakness, but it certainly isn't one his fortes.  He also naturally lacks strength and will be easily bumped off by the centers and PF's on pick and rolls for years to come.  Both Bradley and Hunter will struggle to guard larger, stronger guards/SFs in the post - but how often do you see teams take advantage of this size mismatch, especially in the regular season?  I'd be concerned about this only if we've reached true contender status and playoff matchups become problematic.

Bradley is a proven NBA player.  He's a good corner 3 point shooter, shoots a respectable clip from mid-range, and is slowly but surely improving his ball-handling and passing ability out of the pick and roll.  I've seen improvement every year.  He's also cost-controlled with a very reasonable salary.

Hunter, conversely, still has to prove himself.  Despite his enticing skill set and favorable anthropometric measurements at his position (especially in comparison to Bradley), there isn't a legitimate reason just yet to suggest that he'll supplant Bradley at SG.  I really like his game, especially the awareness and decision making he displayed in Summer League.  I'm just not sold yet.  I think the greatest determining factor of whether he'll be the "SG of the future" will be his ability to switch onto smaller (or larger defenders) and do a respectable job defensively.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 06:58:14 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
How far into the future are you looking?

In terms of short-term future (next two or so years), I still think Smart and Bradley are still the best combo given our current roster.  Bradley is one of the best on-ball defenders in the league.  His primary defensive weakness is getting screened off by opposing bigs due to his lack of size whether he's guarding SGs or PGs.  But I predict that this will be the exact same issue with Hunter (as well as Rozier).  Hunter's lateral mobility isn't exactly a true weakness, but it certainly isn't one his fortes.  He also naturally lacks strength and will be easily bumped off by the centers and PF's on pick and rolls for years to come.  Both Bradley and Hunter will struggle to guard larger, stronger guards/SFs in the post - but how often do you see teams take advantage of this size mismatch, especially in the regular season?  I'd be concerned about this only if we've reached true contender status and playoff matchups become problematic.

Bradley is a proven NBA player.  He's a good corner 3 point shooter, shoots a respectable clip from mid-range, and is slowly but surely improving his ball-handling and passing ability out of the pick and roll.  I've seen improvement every year.  He's also cost-controlled with a very reasonable salary.

Hunter, conversely, still has to prove himself.  Despite his enticing skill set and favorable anthropometric measurements at his position (especially in comparison to Bradley), there isn't a legitimate reason just yet to suggest that he'll supplant Bradley at SG.  I really like his game, especially the awareness and decision making he displayed in Summer League.  I'm just not sold yet.  I think the greatest determining factor of whether he'll be the "SG of the future" will be his ability to switch onto smaller (or larger defenders) and do a respectable job defensively.

By next year Rozier will be the starting PG, with better tools (speed, length, BBIQ) for defending other PGs than AB will ever have, while MS will be guarding the 2 spot. Hunter and IT will be a decent pairing as backups, so if I good offer comes along, AB may IMO be gone--or he'll be a little 3&D guy coming off the bench.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 07:00:33 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Am I the only that thinks that the best future Boston backcourt is Smart and Hunter? If not, they would definitely be the most entertaining guard combo. Essentially you have a bull-in-china-shop player paired next to a crafty gazelle with range for days. Keep in mind, my optimism/excitement is based on the future, with no regard to the crowded guard situation.

Defensively: Hunter played pretty good defense from what I saw in Summer League, and anytime your 2-guard has a 6'11 wingspan, he can be effective (Remember Shaun Livingston guarding IT4?). Only thing RJ needs is to reach the 200lbs mark to prevent getting bullied by stronger guards (but that's why Marcus would provide the switch anyway). Of course, everyone knows what type of defense they'll get from Marcus.

Offensively: RJ's range and shooting would be ideal to stretch space for Marcus to drive. Unlikely pairing Marcus with a midrange shooter like Avery, putting RJ would give the shooting that matches how Pace&Space should be. Right now, I would say that they're both above average at ballhandling, with room to improve. But assuming they do, they can share ballhandling duties that compliment each other. We saw flashes from both of them that shows how well they can pass the rock, so that's another plus.

It'll be interesting to see how the analytics view this combo by year's end, but it'll be the one I look forward to seeing the most.

I think that will be a mix and match option, but TR will most often be the guy at PG.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I see a whole lot of similarities between Rozier and Bradley, but Rozier probably has more up-side than AB had coming into the league. Celtic fans are gonna like Rozier, IMO. The kid is as tough as nails, he's never intimidated, he has great length and athleticism for a guy who's 6'2. Were gonna love his defense once he gets adjusted to the NBA. Not quite as good as Smart but a lot like early AB.

I like having lockdown guards, now if only we had some lockdown bigs.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I think that will be a mix and match option, but TR will most often be the guy at PG.
Defensively, I think you're right. But I also think that Smart might be the better playmaker of the two and maybe the more natural PG on offense. But I could be wrong about that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 02:27:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

TP ....spot on ......I think ...this will all come to pass .

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I see a whole lot of similarities between Rozier and Bradley, but Rozier probably has more up-side than AB had coming into the league. Celtic fans are gonna like Rozier, IMO. The kid is as tough as nails, he's never intimidated, he has great length and athleticism for a guy who's 6'2. Were gonna love his defense once he gets adjusted to the NBA. Not quite as good as Smart but a lot like early AB.

I like having lockdown guards, now if only we had some lockdown bigs.

Yeah, agree, that we don't have.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 12:26:35 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

This.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers