Author Topic: Perhaps a Bradley for Bradley swap?  (Read 2742 times)

Perhaps a Bradley for Bradley swap?
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Now this is very early, but sources are saying that Bradley Beal and Washington are very far apart on extension/next contract figures.   http://www.celticslife.com/2015/08/celtics-should-monitor-bradley-beal.html

If this would happen to continue and they look to move Beal prior to the deadline, what would you give up for Beal? From what I know of Bradley Beal, he's a similar player to Avery Bradley and might be a slight upgrade right now, but he definitely has a much higher ceiling. Would something like AB, Hunter or Mickey, and the Dallas 1st be enough for him? Bradley would be a good cost-controlled vet and fit next to Wall, and it'd still allow them the flexibility for Durant next summer. For us, I like the sound of a Smart/Beak backcourt, and Beal seems to be a good fit for our team, even if it means extending Beal for a max contract.

What do you think: too little, too much?

Re: Perhaps a Bradley for Bradley swap?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think there's much to monitor.  A main reason they're far apart is that the Wiz want to preserve as much cap room as possible for next summer because of Durant, so it's difficult for them to tie up money in Beal right now.  If they extend Beal a qualifying offer, he'll take up about 14.25 million in cap space next summer while they negotiate a new contract.  So if they give him in excess of that now, they will cut into cap room, instead of going above that number next summer and signing him last with Bird rights exception.  Beal meanwhile wants the max.  If he's healthy this season, Washington would probably be willing to give him it, but there's no reason to give him it now when all it does is cost them cap space.

I would be shocked if Beal were moved.  This isn't a James Harden situation -- Washington is willing to pay Beal, just not until next summer.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:15:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't think there's much to monitor.  A main reason they're far apart is that the Wiz want to preserve as much cap room as possible for next summer because of Durant, so it's difficult for them to tie up money in Beal right now.  If they extend Beal a qualifying offer, he'll take up about 14.25 million in cap space next summer while they negotiate a new contract.  So if they give him in excess of that now, they will cut into cap room, instead of going above that number next summer and signing him last with Bird rights exception.  Beal meanwhile wants the max.  If he's healthy this season, Washington would probably be willing to give him it, but there's no reason to give him it now when all it does is cost them cap space.

I would be shocked if Beal were moved.  This isn't a James Harden situation -- Washington is willing to pay Beal, just not until next summer.

Think they would bite on Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Zeller, with a few picks for Beal, Humphries, and cap filler?

The real question is luring Durant to Washington in the first place, if they can convince him enough to sign with the team.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Think they would bite on Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Zeller, with a few picks for Beal, Humphries, and cap filler?

The real question is luring Durant to Washington in the first place, if they can convince him enough to sign with the team.

Beal is part of the on-court lure for KD.  They need to show him a core that's in place for him to join.  I'm an AB fan, but I'm sure Beal is a more attractive potential teammate.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 03:06:04 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Zero chance they let him go. Arguably the best young backcourt in the league. If they retain them and either Porter works out / Nene/Gortat stay healthy and have a solid year, they have a shot at KD. They could challenge for 2nd best in the EC imo.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:20:34 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Zero chance they let him go. Arguably the best young backcourt in the league. If they retain them and either Porter works out / Nene/Gortat stay healthy and have a solid year, they have a shot at KD. They could challenge for 2nd best in the EC imo.
thats why we should be trading IT ET AB Zeller and 1 or both of KO and Sully. We are not winning a championship with the Cavs and the loaded West. Even if injuries riddle the EC and we make it to the finals we would still not win. And isn't it all about how many championships we have???Lakers are just 1 behind. Sear that in your memory please. Only championships count and we have the most, but Lakers are right behind us.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Beal is part of the on-court lure for KD.  They need to show him a core that's in place for him to join.  I'm an AB fan, but I'm sure Beal is a more attractive potential teammate.

Bingo.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:50:34 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
the biggest challenge of being an NBA GM is weighing in on whether to cash in on assets/picks early before the value diminishes, or being patient and waiting for the value to peak...and then of course sometimes it's best to keep your assets.  The reason I say this is the following.  It's too early to know what our assets will develop into...

BK picks, James Young, Marcus Smart, etc etc. 

right now, there's a particular value around the league on these assets/players.  Ainge could absolutely swing a deal involving these young players/picks, but would he be maximizing on his assets?  Probably not. 

The BK pick and Marcus Smart I don't want to trade...period.  Call me crazy, but I Think that BK pick is going to be Top 5.  And who knows, maybe we land Simmons or Skal.  IT's possible. 

Which leads to my next question.  Would you rather deal the BK pick, Bradley, and James Young (who could also end up being really good) for a Bradley Beal type right now?  Or would you rather keep Bradley/Young and draft in the Top 5?  or Top 10? 

Ainge should keep his assets unless he's absolutely blown away.  This isn't yet the season were contending for a title.  No reason to rush it and force the issue.  I'd do secondary type deals that improve our team incrementally....but I'm not sacrificing BK picks, Smart, etc for Carmelo Anthony or someone like that.  Ainge has come this far, he might as well see it through and remain patient. 

What if......BK pick is Top 5.  Ainge could swing Top 5 pick as centerpiece for a mega star and then go hard after Durant in Free agency.  It's possible guys

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bradley Beal is A LOT more than a slight upgrade on Avery Bradley right now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bradley Beal is too good for Washington to trade right now.  They have a legit chance to contend and need him.  On the other hand, Beal is not good enough for the Celtics to go all in and try to build around him.

I don't see this happening.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Bradley Beal is too good for Washington to trade right now.  They have a legit chance to contend and need him.  On the other hand, Beal is not good enough for the Celtics to go all in and try to build around him.

I can promise you that the Wizards DO NOT have a legit chance at contending for a title.  Unless you meant contending for the playoffs?  They are best a #5 seed in the East.  Long way from contending.  Now if they land Durant in free agency next season, and Oubre is the real deal?  Then they can contend.  Far from contention right now.  Losing Pierce is going to hurt that team. 

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I feel good they will be better than 5th. 

Bulls, Cleveland and ATL.   They are 4th or better...
Diggles

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I can promise you that the Wizards DO NOT have a legit chance at contending for a title.  Unless you meant contending for the playoffs?  They are best a #5 seed in the East.  Long way from contending.  Now if they land Durant in free agency next season, and Oubre is the real deal?  Then they can contend.  Far from contention right now.  Losing Pierce is going to hurt that team.
Um Washington was the 5 seed last year and probably would have been playing the Cavs in the ECF had Wall not gotten injured.  Obviously losing Pierce is a big blow, but they added Gary Neal, have Webster back and healthy (presumably), added Anderson, added Oubre, and get another year of growth from Porter and Beal and Wall.  I'd be surprised if they weren't a top 5 team in the East and think they have a real shot at #2 (behind Cleveland).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
There's no chance.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
thats why we should be trading IT ET AB Zeller and 1 or both of KO and Sully. We are not winning a championship with the Cavs and the loaded West. Even if injuries riddle the EC and we make it to the finals we would still not win. And isn't it all about how many championships we have???Lakers are just 1 behind. Sear that in your memory please. Only championships count and we have the most, but Lakers are right behind us.

Sorry, not sure I understand what you're saying here...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC