Author Topic: Trail Blazers Rebuilding  (Read 3320 times)

Re: Trail Blazers Rebuilding
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't think Smart will ever be the kind of scorer that Dame is.
That's probably accurate and Lillard will never be the defender that Smart will be.
true, but elite scorers are far more valuable than elite defenders.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think Smart will ever be the kind of scorer that Dame is.
That's probably accurate and Lillard will never be the defender that Smart will be.
true, but elite scorers are far more valuable than elite defenders.

Yup.  It's easier to build a defensive team around an elite scorer than it is to do the opposite.

Seems like the Blazers want to build an athletic, defensive oriented team that can cover for Lillard's defensive weaknesses with spacing just good enough to let Damian go to work on the other end.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It would surprise me a lot of Lillard got significantly better as an NBA player than he is right now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We don't know what we have in Smart yet, and I agree that Lillard may be at his peak right now.  I love Lillard's offensive game, and I agree that offense is generally more valuable than defense.  But both guys could peak as something like 3rd best point guard in their conference.  We just don't know yet.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It would surprise me a lot of Lillard got significantly better as an NBA player than he is right now.

I agree, I think he's mostly a finished product, though there's always room for mental growth, which matters for score-first guys (see: Pierce).

Lillard is a one-way star, like Carmelo, but he's still a really nice piece to have.  I've said this sort of thing before, but I'd trade the whole Celts roster of role players, and all the picks coming down the pike, for just one young star like Lillard, Cousins, Jabari, Wiggins, Okafor, etc.  It's always, always, always better to have that type of piece as your starting point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah I would agree with that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.