Author Topic: Trail Blazers Rebuilding  (Read 3307 times)

Trail Blazers Rebuilding
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Just in case you hadn't seen it, Zach Lowe had Trail Blazers GM Neil Olshey on his podcast talking about losing LeMarcus Aldridge and their rebuilding plans.  http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-lowe-post-podcast-trail-blazers-gm-neil-olshey-on-losing-lamarcus-aldridge-and-the-future-of-the-team/

[Warning: They talk about Seinfield for what feels like forever half way through but they get back to Blazers talk at the end]

Some interesting points:
- They traded for Gerald Henderson knowing that it could work with LeMarcus coming back or it would work if he left.

- They wanted to get into the upper 2015 Draft but there wasn't an avenue so they looked for guys in previous drafts they were high on eg. Noah Vonleh and Mason Plumlee.

- Zach said that Aminu needed to improve his shooting or his dribbling, Neil said something like, "if he could do those things already we wouldn't be able to pay him 7.5 million a year, you pay people for what they can do and then you develop other areas." That got me thinking about some of the guys we signed like Jae Crowder, some people get down on our roster because of what players have shown so far, rather than what they could become in the next couple of years. Yes, I know it is unknown what they could become, but while players are on our roster working with our coaching staff in this culture, I am optimistic.

- Zach asked what Neil was looking for this year and Neil talked about assessing the talent to see what they have, whether they need to retool the roster with solid veterans to compliment or sell on the assets. It reminded me a little of the Celtics situation, a full season with this roster that is mostly intact from the second half of last season to develop more chemistry and have continuity (continuity is something they talk about on this podcast too) and Danny Ainge can really see what he has going on here with this roster. Eg. Is Marcus Smart a franchise player? Is Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk a realistic option long term? Which rookies really do have the work ethic and winning mentality that we want?

- Neil talked about seeing CJ McCollum and Meyers Leonard play really well at the end of last season and how that confirmed what they saw in those players when they drafted them. This made me think about the ceilings of our players that might still be multiple seasons away.

I really like the rebuild job that Trail Blazers have done in only a short amount of time. What do you guys think?

I love these forums,  I am excited for this upcoming season and I am optimistic about our future! Cheers   :)

Re: Trail Blazers Rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The nice thing about the Blazers is that they have an all star PG locked up long term but they also play in the West so that PG alone isn't going to be enough to power them to a respectable record. So they're likely to wind up in the bottom of the lottery where they will have a shot at another star.

Aminu and Meyers Leonard have upside. Mo Harkless is a good gamble. Mason Plumlee has shown valuable skills in the past and is still young. Depending on who they add in this year's draft, they could be in a nice spot in 2-3 years. Of course, since it's Portland, they'll probably draft a great prospect with knee problems who washes out of the league too early.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I really don't like how I feel about other teams and players these days, the last few seasons I find myself liking opponents instead of only liking my fave. I'm getting soft and it feels weird. I need someone to "hate" besides Lakers, Knicks, Kobe and LBJ. LBJ is really the only relevant one. I want to feel like I'm about to jump through the tv and fight opponents, I wanna feel like I'm out for blood.

With that said, I really like Dame, I hope they bounce back quickly.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Trail Blazers are doing more of a "retool" than a "rebuild" because they still have a young, perennial All-Star player on board.

In other words, the Blazers have the key ingredient the Celts are missing.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Good post -- I think that the ceilings for CJ Macullum and Myers Leonard are still the same as they were when they were drafted, though. What changes are the odds for them to reach that ceiling (or somewhere close to it).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Anewframe, 2nd tp to you, great post.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Yeah for a team that's lost just about everything, Portland's done a subtly great job with their roster. Compensating for the loss of Aldridge, Matthews, Batum, Afflalo, and Lopez with Aminu, Davis, Plumlee, Henderson, and Vonleh is not too shabby. They won't make the playoffs, but they'll go down fighting.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:56:46 AM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
The Trail Blazers are doing more of a "retool" than a "rebuild" because they still have a young, perennial All-Star player on board.

In other words, the Blazers have the key ingredient the Celts are missing.

I can see what you are saying. Though it sounded like Blazers made a decision not to make attempts to re-sign Lopez and Matthews after Aldridge left. Blazers GM seemed to be talking about it like a rebuild rather then a re-tool.

Anewframe, 2nd tp to you, great post.

Thank you sir. Kudos to Zach Lowe for having the best podcast out there.

Good post -- I think that the ceilings for CJ Macullum and Myers Leonard are still the same as they were when they were drafted, though. What changes are the odds for them to reach that ceiling (or somewhere close to it).

Yeah I agree that they have the same ceiling. I like your point about the odds of them reaching their ceiling - I kind of wish the Celtics PF depth wasn't as heavy so Jordan Mickey would have the highest possible chance to reach his ceiling as soon as possible - but then I guess a big part of him reaching his ceiling will be weight/muscle gain, which takes time.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Seinfeld talk should never be a warning ;)

Lowe always puts together a great interview through his podcast. After listening I could definitely see the merit in going the way the Blazers have so far this summer. If you're not confident that you can beat the Spurs, Clippers, Warriors, Thunder, or Rockets in a seven game series why not expedite your chance at actually becoming competitive by rebuilding.

I don't think Aldrige or Lillard are stars who can carry a team themselves, they clearly still needed another sizeable talent to do much in the WC playoffs when they were together.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I listened to the podcast this morning.

What I really liked was what Olshey said about his plan for the Blazers.

Finding guys who wanted to be there long term.  Guys on a similar career arc as their main young guy, Lillard.  Guys under team control with room to grow.  Guys who all fit into a certain vision of the type of team they want to create.

Most of all, I liked how he talked about creating a core group that can build continuity and sustain success once they have developed into a winning team.

I'd really prefer to see the Celts take a similar tack, instead of treating the roster like a warehouse and hoping to strike it big with one major trade or free agent signing to suddenly and drastically shift the course of the franchise.

I'd like to do the same thing that Olshey describes with the Celts, focusing on locking up guys long term who are on a similar arc as Smart, who project as good fits next to Smart, and fit a certain vision of the team.  That vision, in my dream, would be an athletic, aggressive, gritty group with an emphasis on defensive versatility and turnover creation above all other attributes.   
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
The nice thing about the Blazers is that they have an all star PG locked up long term but they also play in the West so that PG alone isn't going to be enough to power them to a respectable record. So they're likely to wind up in the bottom of the lottery where they will have a shot at another star.

Aminu and Meyers Leonard have upside. Mo Harkless is a good gamble. Mason Plumlee has shown valuable skills in the past and is still young. Depending on who they add in this year's draft, they could be in a nice spot in 2-3 years. Of course, since it's Portland, they'll probably draft a great prospect with knee problems who washes out of the league too early.

I agree and the other thing is...the West tends to draft a lot better than the East...I mean Lillard was drafted at 6, and no need to explain Curry and Thompson...

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:20 AM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
I listened to the podcast this morning.

What I really liked was what Olshey said about his plan for the Blazers.

Finding guys who wanted to be there long term.  Guys on a similar career arc as their main young guy, Lillard.  Guys under team control with room to grow.  Guys who all fit into a certain vision of the type of team they want to create.

Most of all, I liked how he talked about creating a core group that can build continuity and sustain success once they have developed into a winning team.

I'd really prefer to see the Celts take a similar tack, instead of treating the roster like a warehouse and hoping to strike it big with one major trade or free agent signing to suddenly and drastically shift the course of the franchise.

I'd like to do the same thing that Olshey describes with the Celts, focusing on locking up guys long term who are on a similar arc as Smart, who project as good fits next to Smart, and fit a certain vision of the team.  That vision, in my dream, would be an athletic, aggressive, gritty group with an emphasis on defensive versatility and turnover creation above all other attributes.

I definitely agree with you. Who on the current roster fits that description?

Marcus Smart
Avery Bradley
Jae Crowder
Jonas Jerebko (though a bit old for the timeline)
Amir Johnson (though a bit old for the timeline)
Perry Jones III (??)
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
RJ Hunter (though he isn't particularly athletic, I am optimistic about his defensive potential after watching summer league)

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wouldn't trade situations with the Blazers.  They have exactly one player that I'm jealous of them for having- Lillard.  But Smart could be that guy for the Celtics in another year or two.
Leonard isn't really better than Zeller.  McCollum is just ok.  Vonleh has allstar potential but he hasn't shown much in actual games yet.  I think the Celtics have more prospects, more good players, more draft picks, more everything.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't think Smart will ever be the kind of scorer that Dame is.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think Smart will ever be the kind of scorer that Dame is.
That's probably accurate and Lillard will never be the defender that Smart will be.