Author Topic: Great pre draft interview with RJ Hunter- You'll love him even more  (Read 1286 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Some footage of his draft workouts while they play the interview over the workout. This kid is awesome.

Some highlights:

"I'm one of those guys who just loves basketball, when I'm not playing, I'm watching it and studying it, and those are the guys that really make it in the NBA- play for the love of the game and not the check. I'd play in the NBA for free."

"In the offseason I just go into the gym at midnight and put on some music and put up shots man. Just shots and more shots. That's where that confidence comes from, knowing I put up ten thousand extra shots and I just know I've put in the work"

On being a great shooter and what it takes mentally..

" I think it takes a short memory, long confidence and no consciousness, you can't think about the last two shots you missed and wonder 'should I take this one', that just doesn't work in this league"

Huge steal at #28 in my opinion.
Says he loves watching Bradley Beal's development and has always loved Steph Curry. Thinks his story is similar to Steph's coming from small school, people questioning his talent and game in a weaker conference etc.

He also loves saying 'You know what I mean?'
Might be a good topic for his nickname. Mike Gorman "RJ 'You know' Hunter buries it!"

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKGBXWvOrRg
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:42:22 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Great pre draft interview with RJ Hunter- You'll love him even more
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
since he'd play for free it should make his post-rookie deal much easier to negotiate ;)

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
since he'd play for free it should make his post-rookie deal much easier to negotiate ;)

Lol very good point.
Danny might hold him to it.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:46:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Lol very good point.
Danny might hold him to it.

he should - would help with managing the cap

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
james young your history-this kid is coming hard-working his dribble  and lateral while taking thousands of shots and studying film for fun -this kid is a shooter allways has been and knows it--

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 04:11:59 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
The guy couldn't even shoot 40% from the field his last season in college, just over 30% in threes, that to me doesn't sniff being a great shooter, but he needs to have that short term memory thing to forget all his misses , that will help him.
Hopefully if he gets any substantial playing time this season all that practice will actually pay off for the C's :)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
The guy couldn't even shoot 40% from the field his last season in college, just over 30% in threes, that to me doesn't sniff being a great shooter, but he needs to have that short term memory thing to forget all his misses , that will help him.
Hopefully if he gets any substantial playing time this season all that practice will actually pay off for the C's :)

Bradley Beal is one of the best shooters in the league and he only shot 33% from 3 in college playing for a coach who just made the NBA. He gets to the league and the spacing, type of defenses he faces and style of play allow him to be freed up for more open looks which he able to bury at a high clip.

Buying the hype that Hunter can end up as a career 39% 3 point shooter on over 2 attempts per game. Like many people have said, think he a hold have been great value at 16 and was grand larceny at 28.