Author Topic: New campaign aims to put Earl Lloyd, NBA's first black player, on stamp  (Read 3163 times)

Re: New campaign aims to put Earl Lloyd, NBA's first black player, on stamp
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
they left out that he was 1 of 3 black players who joined the league at the same time and was only first because his team was scheduled to play before the other 2.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 119
An that Chuck Cooper was the first black player drafted.  If anyone should be on a stamp it should be Bill Russell.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
An that Chuck Cooper was the first black player drafted.  If anyone should be on a stamp it should be Bill Russell.

Russell's not dead, so he can't be on a stamp yet.  Wouldn't surprise me if that happened down the line though.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Russell's not dead, so he can't be on a stamp yet.  Wouldn't surprise me if that happened down the line though.

Actually they changed that rule in 2011, living people can now be on stamps. Harry Potter and Star Trek characters have been on stamps (though I don't know if living, fictional people count).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/us/postal-service-will-begin-honoring-living-people-on-stamps.html?_r=0

So let's Bill Russell it up USPS!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Actually they changed that rule in 2011, living people can now be on stamps. Harry Potter and Star Trek characters have been on stamps (though I don't know if living, fictional people count).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/us/postal-service-will-begin-honoring-living-people-on-stamps.html?_r=0

Didn't know that - that's going to be embarrassing when someone inevitably gets on a stamp and then gets caught doing something horrible. 

But yeah, I'm on board - let's get Russell on a stamp.  Or 11 of em  :)

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Didn't know that - that's going to be embarrassing when someone inevitably gets on a stamp and then gets caught doing something horrible. 

But yeah, I'm on board - let's get Russell on a stamp.  Or 11 of em  :)
you mean like Cosby getting that Presidential medal?

Cue the over-the-top smartass remark about a future victim having the lick the stamp of their sexual predator   :P

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
they left out that he was 1 of 3 black players who joined the league at the same time and was only first because his team was scheduled to play before the other 2.
i am not sure what point you are making here. please explain.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

Basically sucks for the other 2 guys---they should just make stamps for all 3...Not their fault the NBA schedule had Lloyd playing a game before them.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Don't want to speak for him but I think the idea is this isn't really a Jackie Robinson situation where one guy goes it alone with the weight of representing his entire race in a largely hostile environment.  This is a guy who was "first" simply by a quirk of scheduling, so maybe he shouldn't be singled out as if he was a Robinson-style trailblazer. 

At a minimum, instead of just honoring Lloyd, maybe they could honor all 3, since they basically did it together.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Don't want to speak for him but I think the idea is this isn't really a Jackie Robinson situation where one guy goes it alone with the weight of representing his entire race in a largely hostile environment.  This is a guy who was "first" simply by a quirk of scheduling, so maybe he shouldn't be singled out as if he was a Robinson-style trailblazer. 

At a minimum, instead of just honoring Lloyd, maybe they could honor all 3, since they basically did it together.

There's an article on NBA.com called: "Six Who Paved the Way"

Harry Lew - basketball's version of Moses Fleetwood Walker or William Edward White to Jackie Robinson, breaking the color barrier years before it was a recognized thing in 1902.

Then you actually have five guys in 1950:

Chuck Cooper - 1st to be drafted, 2nd to play in a game
Harold Hunter - 1st to sign a contract, cut in training camp
Earl Lloyd – 1st to play in a game
Nat Clifton - 1st to play in Finals, 2nd to sign a contract, 3rd to play in a game
Hank DeZonie - the forgotten fourth to play in a game, quit in frustration, "The coach didn't know basketball, and I couldn't bother with segregation."

At the end, the article sums it up nicely:
Unlike Jackie Robinson before them, these five NBA pioneers could lean on each other. The mere presence of the others meant that no individual player suffered the brunt of the racism, as had been the case for Robinson who was easily singled out everywhere he went. However, these men had to endure the same on- and off-court segregation laws, the racial slurs, and the discrimination that Robinson endured. Like Robinson, these men paved the way for today’s players and are the reason that the best athletes in the world now play in the NBA.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 07:03:47 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25

There's an article on NBA.com called: "Six Who Paved the Way"

Harry Lew - basketball's version of Moses Fleetwood Walker or William Edward White to Jackie Robinson, breaking the color barrier years before it was a recognized thing in 1902.

Then you actually have five guys in 1950:

Chuck Cooper - 1st to be drafted, 2nd to play in a game
Harold Hunter - 1st to sign a contract, cut in training camp
Earl Lloyd – 1st to play in a game
Nat Clifton - 1st to play in Finals, 2nd to sign a contract, 3rd to play in a game
Hank DeZonie - the forgotten fourth to play in a game, quit in frustration, "The coach didn't know basketball, and I couldn't bother with segregation."

At the end, the article sums it up nicely:
Unlike Jackie Robinson before them, these five NBA pioneers could lean on each other. The mere presence of the others meant that no individual player suffered the brunt of the racism, as had been the case for Robinson who was easily singled out everywhere he went. However, these men had to endure the same on- and off-court segregation laws, the racial slurs, and the discrimination that Robinson endured. Like Robinson, these men paved the way for today’s players and are the reason that the best athletes in the world now play in the NBA.

yeah this stuff i what i meant. its still great and all that he was one of the first, but i feel like the story should have at least mentioned the others. also there is a great story in Red Auerbach's book Let Me Tell You a Story about how he had agreed to a contract with Nat Clifton weeks before the Knicks signed him. went as far as sending it to the league office before it was rejected, allegedly due to fear of upsetting the Globetrotters who played games against NBA teams at that time and were some of there best selling tickets.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:41:16 PM by 317 »