Author Topic: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.  (Read 35893 times)

Re: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2015, 02:37:58 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's amazing that a young rich stud and nice guy ......has to rape women for sex ....?......I would think he'd have a million eger ladies chasing him.  And if there is something special he likes surely with all,his money , he can just pay professional s to act out his fantasies .

Just makes no sense ,  is why I'm skeptical of her claims.

1) Who says Rose is a nice guy?  Have you met him personally?  Are you a close friend of his?  I've seen nothing to indicate he's such a lovely guy.  In fact in recent years most things I've seen about him have indicated slightly more in the other direction. 

2) Rape often isn't about sex - it's about power and control.  Of course, if he really wants sex he can get it.  He could easily pay for it if he wanted to, or go up to probably 70% of woman.  But maybe he doesn't want 'any' woman.  Maybe there is a particular girl he wants.  Maybe that girl isn't available - perhaps she is taken, or maybe she's just not interested.  The fact that she's not interested  might be a huge part of why he wants said woman (people tend to desire what they can't have - it's common human tendency).

3) When you have a guy like Rose who has all this fame, all this money - for many people this can go to your head.  Sometimes people like this get so used to having anything and anybody they want, such that when a person actually says no to them, they can't handle it and refuse to accept it.  It's a hit to their pride - "nobody says no to me, don't you know who I am?".  It's not hard to imagine a young, highly paid, professional sports person getting that type of mentality.  The world tends to worship these people, much like musicians, actors, etc.  Fame like this often makes people egomaniacs. 

I'm not saying that's the case here - obviously none of us were there, so we don't know what happened.  I'm just saying that people are IMO too quick to jump to the defense of celebrities that they idolise.  People are very quick to say "hey, he wouldn't do that!" when in reality you don't know this person any more than you know the guy/girl who serves you at the bank teller once a month.  Actually you probably know the celebrity even less.  Many of these people have their 'public' persona, and their 'private' persona - often they are two very different people.

For all we know Tim Duncan could torture pets for a hobby - we don't know.

Do we know the person accusing Rose any more? Of course not. 

Now what some are saying is true - it's unfair to throw accusations at somebody when you have no proof they committed the crime.  Yes, I am pretty sure that there are a LOT of women who make false accusations towards celebrities in the hope of getting something out of it - be it money or fame.  I don't agree with that.

At the same time as the saying goes, you can't punish the genuine sufferers out there because of the handful of bad people who try to abuse the system.  You can't criticism victims for not speaking up, when you don't understand their personal circumstances or their reasons for not speaking up.

The kind of men who would rape a woman probably would have no problems violently assaulting a woman too.  Many such men probably make threats.  Many know their victims and see them frequently.  If you're a woman, and you have been raped by a 6'3" 200 pound guy who knows you (and knows where you live/work), and he has told you that he'll come find you if you say anything (or worse yet, your children and/or family), then are you going to say anything?  Chances are you'll stay quiet until you feel the threat has died down (i.e. you don't see him anymore) before you'll say something.

Likewise, sometimes woman get confused - especially if it's with a partner.  If a boyfriend / husband / fiance has sex with you when you've told him you don't want to, then legally that's rape.  But maybe you got scared in the moment, or you were intimidated, and you didn't really try  that hard to force him off.  Sometimes girls then question themselves - question whether they have a case, and whether it will be taken seriously.  It is, after all, a very serious accusation to make.

If it happens at work, especially by a superior member of staff, then filing charges could be harmful to your career.  If you can't prove it (or he has power and great lawyers) then the case might get thrown out, you might lose your career, and you might have trouble finding another job in your career with that on your record.

People have many reasons to not report things like this.

I can't for the life of my understand how some people can say "I understand why some people might not report this" and then say straight afterwards "but I don't understand why you wouldn't report it".  Do people not realise that this is a contradiction?

Cases such as the Cosby one (or this Rose one) are especially understandable as to why you might be hesitant to report it.  You have a famous celebrity who is idolised and loved by so many people - the instant you come out and raise allegations, your name is going to be all over the news.  Half the city will immediately turn against you for trying to tarnish the image of their 'loved; celebrity.  It's not until somebody else comes out and does it that suddenly you feel like you're not on your own - people are more likely to believe you as a group.

I really don't see what's so difficult about any of this.  Some people are strong emotionally - strong enough to face things like this, and to go to the police, and to raise a report.  Some people just aren't that emotionally strong, and can't speak about it without falling apart - they just want to forget, they don't want to go through court cases and interrogations and re-living what happened.

Everybody is different.