Author Topic: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.  (Read 35779 times)

Re: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I could be really wrong on this, so I would like to apologize in advance if I'm being ignorant with some issues.

With that said, while I understand that there are a lot of factors as why a victim of sexual assault would not go to the authorities, I still don't get it as to why all of a sudden, after two years, this pops up.

Two years is such a long time. Now I'd get if she can't come out right away out of fear, embarrassment or other things. But to take two years? Of course I'd like to know the entire details, but taking so long to get his reported to the authorities sounds fishy to me.

Again, I could be really wrong about this, and if I'm offending somebody, I apologize and would be willing to listen to any takes to further understand this kind of situation. But that's just me. Taking so long to report such a henious crime, why do I have a feeling that there's other motives involved here.
Dude you don't have to be an expert on violence against women. Just look at the news. Allegations against Bill Cosby didn't surface for decades. If you think that a large number of victims of a heinous crime are all not coming forward due to some kind of character flaw, I don't know what to tell you.

Okay. That's actually a fair point.

I'm guess I'm just wired differently. Because I'd go to the authorities right away if I became a victim of crime.

But point taken.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2015, 06:13:12 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

Why on earth wouldn't she report it to the police, and instead wait a long time and sue him?

I have little pity for those who won't go to law enforcement in a situation like this.

This is the stupidest post I've ever seen on any forum ever and that is REALLY saying something, especially when there are already other stupid posts in this thread. It's amazing because you posted this right after PhoSita, as usual made a very intelligent and well informed post.

Not that I disagree with you but this is not particularly apropos for CB in terms of tone and you might want to rephrase it as to avoid the wrath of the mods.

This is sort of unrelated but I think you and PhoSita and the guy with the Ghandi sig are the best posters here. That being said sorry but I'm not rephrasing my post. Maybe I'll get rid of the all caps in the word really.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Why on earth wouldn't she report it to the police, and instead wait a long time and sue him?

I have little pity for those who won't go to law enforcement in a situation like this.

This is the stupidest post I've ever seen on any forum ever and that is REALLY saying something, especially when there are already other stupid posts in this thread. It's amazing because you posted this right after PhoSita, as usual made a very intelligent and well informed post.

Not that I disagree with you but this is not particularly apropos for CB in terms of tone and you might want to rephrase it as to avoid the wrath of the mods.

This is sort of unrelated but I think you and PhoSita and the guy with the Ghandi sig are the best posters here. That being said sorry but I'm not rephrasing my post. Maybe I'll get rid of the all caps in the word really.

Lol because of course you are  the judge of what is stupid and what is not stupid, almighty forza.

If your house gets robbed or your friend gets killed you go to the police, despite fear of retaliation.

No matter what excuses you want to throw out there, the only way for true justice to be served is to immediately go to law enforcement.

I mean seriously, waiting two years to file charges (in civil court, looking for money nonetheless) does not have the look of someone who is that traumatized.

But you all get right back on your high horses and act like what I am saying is stupid and heinous.

If your mom/wife/daughter etc. were in this situation, would you want them to immediately go to th  police or not?

I understand that there are reasons why it is often unreported, but that doesn't mean I don't think they are ridiculous.

Once more, forza, settle down. You are not as wise as you think yourself.

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Taking so long to report such a henious crime, why do I have a feeling that there's other motives involved here.

Well, she's not 'reporting a crime.'

Note that actually, we're hearing -- from a gossip news outlet -- that a civil suit has been brought.

It's likely she's explored her options well before this as far as reporting the crime, but for whatever reason decided it would not be worth her while.  She may even have been told by somebody associated with the police that there was not enough evidence to press charges.

You just don't know.  Once you get past 48 hours or so after the incident occurred, it's very difficult to be successful under criminal law, especially if the victim was not physically forced to have sex, but rather threatened or emotionally coerced or abused.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

Lol because of course you are  the judge of what is stupid and what is not stupid, almighty forza.

If your house gets robbed or your friend gets killed you go to the police, despite fear of retaliation.

No matter what excuses you want to throw out there, the only way for true justice to be served is to immediately go to law enforcement.

I mean seriously, waiting two years to file charges (in civil court, looking for money nonetheless) does not have the look of someone who is that traumatized.

But you all get right back on your high horses and act like what I am saying is stupid and heinous.

If your mom/wife/daughter etc. were in this situation, would you want them to immediately go to th  police or not?

I understand that there are reasons why it is often unreported, but that doesn't mean I don't think they are ridiculous.

Well you don't understand because you said you have little pitty and said the reasons are ridiculous. Are you a monkey?

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Well you don't understand because you said you have little pitty and said the reasons are ridiculous. Are you a monkey?

Lol. So make fun of others who disagree with you.

Classy and certainly within board rules.

"Are you a monkey".

;D. You got issues my man.

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

"Are you a monkey".

I'm totally calm. I don't have issues, you do, you sound like a psycho for not being able to show empathy for victims that would feel emotionally traumatized and uncomfortable, especially when victims lose these cases so often

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2015, 06:47:56 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Taking so long to report such a henious crime, why do I have a feeling that there's other motives involved here.

Well, she's not 'reporting a crime.'

Note that actually, we're hearing -- from a gossip news outlet -- that a civil suit has been brought.

It's likely she's explored her options well before this as far as reporting the crime, but for whatever reason decided it would not be worth her while.  She may even have been told by somebody associated with the police that there was not enough evidence to press charges.

You just don't know.  Once you get past 48 hours or so after the incident occurred, it's very difficult to be successful under criminal law, especially if the victim was not physically forced to have sex, but rather threatened or emotionally coerced or abused.

Hence why I find it ridiculous someone would wait more than a day to report such a messed up incident.

Since you can disagree without calling me an animal, do you perhaps have a link that could potentially show me why not going to the cops after an incident like this is actually rational?

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That's a very, very difficult and personal decision that will be affected greatly by the specific details of the situation.  Details that we do not have here, that we likely will never have.

Ask yourself this: if a woman close to you were a victim of sexual assault, would you believe them?  If yes, would you hope and expect that the people in your community would believe and support them, also?

The frequency of rape and sexual assault is wildly out of proportion to the number of rapes and sexualt assaults that are ever reported, let alone prosecuted, and the vast, vast majority of rapists are never convicted. 

Unless you think the vast majority of people who ever identify as victims of sexual violence are just looking for attention, or money, or revenge, you have to admit that the disparity between incidence of sexual violence and reporting / prosecution / conviction is a problem.

Are you a part of that problem, or are you a part of the solution?

Since you can disagree without calling me an animal, do you perhaps have a link that could potentially show me why not going to the cops after an incident like this is actually rational?

It's probably not a rational decision.

Are you familiar at all with post traumatic stress or its symptoms?  Are you familiar with shock?  With depression?  Self-hatred?

All of these things can contribute to somebody who is a victim of sexual violence choosing not to do anything about it in the days following an attack.  They might not admit to themselves that they have been a victim of sexual assault, let alone tell another soul or go to the police.

A big part of that is we as a society have not done a good job of making people who are attacked feel that they will be believed and supported if they do tell some one.  The messages out there, overwhelmingly, are that people who are raped did something wrong or even deserved to be attacked, not to mention that they are tarnished somehow by the attack (particularly if they are women).

Ultimately, the answer to your repeated question is: It's none of your business.  You don't know the details, and you never will. 

The important question here, again, is: Are you going to show that you will support those who believe they have been attacked, or are you going to join the multitude that says, directly or indirectly, that they will not?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:55:34 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

"Are you a monkey".

I'm totally calm. I don't have issues, you do, you sound like a psycho for not being able to show empathy for victims that would feel emotionally traumatized and uncomfortable, especially when victims lose these cases so often

Dude.
Settle down.

You are reading so much into my post I never said.

But clearly calm people always refer to others as monkeys.

You build up that straw man as high as it will go, by all means.

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

That's a very, very difficult and personal decision that will be affected greatly by the specific details of the situation.  Details that we do not have here, that we likely will never have.

Ask yourself this: if a woman close to you were a victim of sexual assault, would you believe them?  If yes, would you hope and expect that the people in your community would believe and support them, also?

The frequency of rape and sexual assault is wildly out of proportion to the number of rapes and sexualt assaults that are ever reported, let alone prosecuted, and the vast, vast majority of rapists are never convicted. 

Unless you think the vast majority of people who ever identify as victims of sexual violence are just looking for attention, or money, or revenge, you have to admit that the disparity between incidence of sexual violence and reporting / prosecution / conviction is a problem.

Are you a part of that problem, or are you a part of the solution?

Could part of the lack of prosecution be because many do not simply go to the police as quickly as they can?

And if they don't report it how can anyone know to support them?

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

"Are you a monkey".

Dude.
Settle down.

I didn't say anything you didn't say. You yourself said you have little pitty

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Could part of the lack of prosecution be because many do not simply go to the police as quickly as they can?

And if they don't report it how can anyone know to support them?

Yes, and yes.

What you've hit on is how this works as a vicious cycle.  Victims feel they will meet with doubt, skepticism, even blame and scorn, if they choose to tell somebody.  As a result, cases don't get prosecuted, sexual predators remain free (and often never even get told that what they did was wrong), and future victims continue to feel isolated.

What we need to do is update rape and sexual assault laws across the country to be consistent with a modern understanding of what consensual sex is and is not, and make sure that victims of sexual violence -- whether or not they have a viable legal case -- get the support and help they need to recover from what they have been through. 

We also need to educate men (and women, but mostly men) so that they know what counts as consent and what does not.  Most people will say they know what non-consensual sex is, but from a legal standpoint (and just from a mental health standpoint), most do not.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2015, 07:01:31 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

"Are you a monkey".

Dude.
Settle down.

I didn't say anything you didn't say. You yourself said you have little pitty

lol really?

I am done with you, why do you bother talking to a monkey anyway? One who has written the stupidest post you have ever seen on any forum.

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

Why Will Only 2 Out of Every 100 Rapists Serve Time?

The majority of sexual assault are not reported to the police (an average of 68% of assaults in the last five years were not reported).1 Those rapists, of course, will never spend a day in prison. But even when the crime is reported, it is unlike to lead to an arrest and prosecution. Factoring in unreported rapes, only about 2% of rapists will ever serve a day in prison.
- Mark Twain