Author Topic: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.  (Read 35899 times)

Re: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If it's true it's awful, particularly as someone who enjoys watching Rose play basketball.

If it's false it's awful because it illustrates bad things about human nature and greed.

This is a bummer.

This is a bummer.  She will never be able to prove it happened.  He will never be able to prove it did not happen.  We will never know.  We will never know if he is a bad guy or not, if we should root for him or not.  Bummer.

I won't feel badly about rooting for him on the court unless and until it comes to something more substantial than a TMZ report. Those people are vultures, plain and simple.

Agreed

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He will pay her to keep quiet..settle out of court and she will drop all charges

From the sounds of it, there are no charges being filed or a criminal investigation. She's filing a lawsuit.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
If it's true it's awful, particularly as someone who enjoys watching Rose play basketball.

If it's false it's awful because it illustrates bad things about human nature and greed.

This is a bummer.

This is a bummer.  She will never be able to prove it happened.  He will never be able to prove it did not happen.  We will never know.  We will never know if he is a bad guy or not, if we should root for him or not.  Bummer.

I won't feel badly about rooting for him on the court unless and until it comes to something more substantial than a TMZ report. Those people are vultures, plain and simple.
Um.  Rose has already commented on it through his attorney, pretty much confirming he has been sued.  TMZ is a lot of things, but they are run by an attorney and always double and triple check sources.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Correct -- all indications are that he has been sued. That's really got nothing to do with what I was talking about, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This really should go without saying, but seriously, NO RAPE JOKES.  I've already had to delete several.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
BTW, Ryan Allen, one of the other men named, is the younger brother of Tony Allen.

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yet another reminder that it's important to separate our fandom of what these players do on the court from who they are off the court.  We don't know them, and we shouldn't pretend that we do.

We'll probably never really know how substantial this accusation is.  I try to temper my skepticism when I hear that somebody has been accused of rape, because I know that the statistics for reporting and prosecution of rape are astonishingly low. 

I think we should all try not to assume, any time a public figure we happen to like is accused of sexual assault or rape, that the person bringing the accusation is just looking to make money, or slander somebody with whom they have had a personal falling out. It is that attitude that helps to perpetuate an atmosphere in which victims of sexual violence feel isolated, powerless, and reviled.

An important thing to remember: every single person posting on this forum knows somebody who has been affected by sexual violence, whether or not they are aware of it.  The way you choose to respond to this sort of news story matters.  Derrick Rose doesn't care, really, if you think he's innocent or guilty.  But the people you know who have been affected by sexual violence will notice if you immediately assume these allegations are false, and it will matter to them.

All that said, I sure hope it's not true.  If it is, I hope this woman is getting all of the help and support she needs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Nuts, man. Even if he's never convicted, it's a nasty enough accusation that it'll probably stick with him.

Kobe Bryant seems to have come out fine from something he actually did.  Being falsely accused is no fun, if that's what this is, but for better or worse, most people just don't care if you're good enough on the court/field/diamond.
What are you basing Kobe's guilt upon? I probably didn't learn enough about the situation to have a strong feeling in either direction, but I don't recall ever thinking "no doubt this is true," and I do genuinely find the issue to be a very serious one (and potentially horrible for either party, depending on the nature and veracity of the accusation).

But, why would we immediately negate the possibility that Rose horribly screwed up? I've always been a big Rose fan, but we don't know the personal lives these guys lead. And as far as Kobe coming out fine, I think it's a safe bet to assume a majority of people believed he was falsely accused. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea... but I'd imagine someone coming out fine after a rape accusation reflects public perception of the incident as much, if not more, than athletic performance.

In the Kobe case, there was a lot of evidence the rape occured.

I have an aunt who was a sexual crimes nurse, and that was one of the cases they studied.

They said it was pretty much without a doubt he was guilty, and only got off because he could afford to pay her off.

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Yet another reminder that it's important to separate our fandom of what these players do on the court from who they are off the court.  We don't know them, and we shouldn't pretend that we do.

We'll probably never really know how substantial this accusation is.  I try to temper my skepticism when I hear that somebody has been accused of rape, because I know that the statistics for reporting and prosecution of rape are astonishingly low. 

I think we should all try not to assume, any time a public figure we happen to like is accused of sexual assault or rape, that the person bringing the accusation is just looking to make money, or slander somebody with whom they have had a personal falling out. It is that attitude that helps to perpetuate an atmosphere in which victims of sexual violence feel isolated, powerless, and reviled.

An important thing to remember: every single person posting on this forum knows somebody who has been affected by sexual violence, whether or not they are aware of it.  The way you choose to respond to this sort of news story matters.  Derrick Rose doesn't care, really, if you think he's innocent or guilty.  But the people you know who have been affected by sexual violence will notice if you immediately assume these allegations are false, and it will matter to them.

All that said, I sure hope it's not true.  If it is, I hope this woman is getting all of the help and support she needs.

Why on earth wouldn't she report it to the police, and instead wait a long time and sue him?

I have little pity for those who won't go to law enforcement in a situation like this.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Why on earth wouldn't she report it to the police, and instead wait a long time and sue him?

I have little pity for those who won't go to law enforcement in a situation like this.
can't speak to being worthy of pity but it certainly doesn't help her credibility.

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

rape is often not reported and many of the reported one aren't reported immediately.  There are a number of factors for this, but it certainly isn't an uncommon occurrence.

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
A fact that your aunt may have neglected to inform you of in your talk about Kobe, as it's rather unpleasant to talk about.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 02:50:49 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

rape is often not reported and many of the reported one aren't reported immediately.  There are a number of factors for this, but it certainly isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Excuse or no excuse, reporting an event like this to the police as soon as possible is absolutely necessary.

If it was such a traumatic thing for her, why wait a year and why not report it to the police?

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
A fact that your aunt may have neglected to inform you of in your talk about Kobe, as it's rather unpleasant to talk about.

lol what are you even talking about?

I am aware that many rapes go unreported. I am also aware that that is completely ridiculous, and no matter what the excuse, is something that NEEDS to be done, in order to get justice served.

Not wait two years and then sue in a civil suit.

Why are you always so condescending and egotistical?

It is like you know you are never, and have never, been wrong in your whole life, and anyone who doesn't agree with you is stupid.

It is extraordinarily unbecoming.

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 02:56:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
when your entire point is "I have little pity for those who won't go to law enforcement in a situation like this" and "If it was such a traumatic thing for her, why wait a year and why not report it to the police?" then I have to wonder how much you know about the reasons behind rape (and the like) going unreported.

No need to get salty.