Author Topic: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.  (Read 35775 times)

Re: Derrick Rose being accused of gang rape.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
we will have to hear the truth, but it doesn't make sense
why would Paul Pierce have anything to say about this?

Hilarious, tp.

Nuts, man. Even if he's never convicted, it's a nasty enough accusation that it'll probably stick with him.

I don't know about this.  For normal people maybe, but not for athletes.  Very few remember Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer being accused of gang rape, with Antoine Walker also involved.

Deshawn Stevenson had a rape case too early in his career, and Ruben Patterson actually plead guilty to attempted rape around the same time.  Both those guys went on to play several more years of NBA basketball making tens of millions of dollars with few people aware of it.

And let's not forgot about the Karl Malone and Roger Clemens statutory rape cases that never were.

Even Mike Tyson has gone on to become a pop culture icon despite going to prison for rape.

I think people remember the Kobe thing so much, because he was basically the face of the NBA at the time, he was either your favorite player or you hated his guts.  A lot of people were/are looking for a reason to hate Kobe, not so much with Derrick Rose.  Sure if this was LeBron, he'd never live it down, but this will probably end up being more a minor inconvenience and forgotten footnote in Rose's life when it's all said and done (unless of course some new shocking, graphic details come out).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:43:49 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 07:30:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Nuts, man. Even if he's never convicted, it's a nasty enough accusation that it'll probably stick with him.

Kobe Bryant seems to have come out fine from something he actually did.  Being falsely accused is no fun, if that's what this is, but for better or worse, most people just don't care if you're good enough on the court/field/diamond.
What are you basing Kobe's guilt upon? I probably didn't learn enough about the situation to have a strong feeling in either direction, but I don't recall ever thinking "no doubt this is true," and I do genuinely find the issue to be a very serious one (and potentially horrible for either party, depending on the nature and veracity of the accusation).

But, why would we immediately negate the possibility that Rose horribly screwed up? I've always been a big Rose fan, but we don't know the personal lives these guys lead. And as far as Kobe coming out fine, I think it's a safe bet to assume a majority of people believed he was falsely accused. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea... but I'd imagine someone coming out fine after a rape accusation reflects public perception of the incident as much, if not more, than athletic performance.

I'm basing Kobe's guilt upon the following statement his lawyer released after the charges were dismissed:

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Of course, the above isn't legal guilt, but it's about as close to an admission you'll see from a famous person in such a case.

As for Rose, I'm trying not to presume anything, although admittedly this story feels less credible.  But my point is if he is falsely accused, I have little doubt he'll rebound.

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 07:36:19 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He will pay her to keep quiet..settle out of court and she will drop all charges
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 08:24:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Kobe Bryant seems to have come out fine from something he actually did.  Being falsely accused is no fun, if that's what this is, but for better or worse, most people just don't care if you're good enough on the court/field/diamond.
What are you basing Kobe's guilt upon? I probably didn't learn enough about the situation to have a strong feeling in either direction, but I don't recall ever thinking "no doubt this is true," and I do genuinely find the issue to be a very serious one (and potentially horrible for either party, depending on the nature and veracity of the accusation).

But, why would we immediately negate the possibility that Rose horribly screwed up? I've always been a big Rose fan, but we don't know the personal lives these guys lead. And as far as Kobe coming out fine, I think it's a safe bet to assume a majority of people believed he was falsely accused. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea... but I'd imagine someone coming out fine after a rape accusation reflects public perception of the incident as much, if not more, than athletic performance.
Here is part of Kobe's statement
"I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year," the statement said. "Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did."

So he basically admitted he did it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 09:02:45 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Crazy story, hope it's not true the thought of it is extremely sick.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:29 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just from the brief stuff I've read, this sure seems like a shakedown.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If it's true it's awful, particularly as someone who enjoys watching Rose play basketball.

If it's false it's awful because it illustrates bad things about human nature and greed.

This is a bummer.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
we will have to hear the truth, but it doesn't make sense
why would Paul Pierce have anything to say about this?

Hilarious, tp.

I don't know about this.  For normal people maybe, but not for athletes.  Very few remember Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer being accused of gang rape, with Antoine Walker also involved.

Deshawn Stevenson had a rape case too early in his career, and Ruben Patterson actually plead guilty to attempted rape around the same time.  Both those guys went on to play several more years of NBA basketball making tens of millions of dollars with few people aware of it.

And let's not forgot about the Karl Malone and Roger Clemens statutory rape cases that never were.

Even Mike Tyson has gone on to become a pop culture icon despite going to prison for rape.

I think people remember the Kobe thing so much, because he was basically the face of the NBA at the time, he was either your favorite player or you hated his guts.  A lot of people were/are looking for a reason to hate Kobe, not so much with Derrick Rose.  Sure if this was LeBron, he'd never live it down, but this will probably end up being more a minor inconvenience and forgotten footnote in Rose's life when it's all said and done (unless of course some new shocking, graphic details come out).

Don't discount the higher element of exposure modern things like social media and memes bring to the table.

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

"I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year," the statement said. "Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did."

I think Kobe's statement was part of the deal because the girl was portrayed so poorly. Her family wanted to recover some of her reputation. That's not an admission of rape. It's an admission that the two parties reflect back on something had already occurred differently.

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think Kobe's statement was part of the deal because the girl was portrayed so poorly. Her family wanted to recover some of her reputation. That's not an admission of rape. It's an admission that the two parties reflect back on something had already occurred differently.

Saying the person you had sex with sincerely didn't think it was consensual when it happened is pretty much admitting to rape by definition.  Adding in the bit about how he sincerely thought it was consensual is just trying to temper that by arguing it wasn't intentional, but having sex with someone who didn't want you to is basically the definition of raping them.

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I hope this isn't his son's mother.

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Saying the person you had sex with sincerely didn't think it was consensual when it happened is pretty much admitting to rape by definition.  Adding in the bit about how he sincerely thought it was consensual is just trying to temper that by arguing it wasn't intentional, but having sex with someone who didn't want you to is basically the definition of raping them.

I'm not sure this case was quite that simple.  From what I have read, the sex was consensual from the start.  She says she told him to stop during intercourse and he said she told him to stop at a later point during intercourse.  He admits to not being very "gentlemanly" during the act which is where things get a little gray.

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
We've all read the Simmons thing about 'the trinity' in regards to Kobe, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If it's true it's awful, particularly as someone who enjoys watching Rose play basketball.

If it's false it's awful because it illustrates bad things about human nature and greed.

This is a bummer.

This is a bummer.  She will never be able to prove it happened.  He will never be able to prove it did not happen.  We will never know.  We will never know if he is a bad guy or not, if we should root for him or not.  Bummer.

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

This is a bummer.

This is a bummer.  She will never be able to prove it happened.  He will never be able to prove it did not happen.  We will never know.  We will never know if he is a bad guy or not, if we should root for him or not.  Bummer.

I won't feel badly about rooting for him on the court unless and until it comes to something more substantial than a TMZ report. Those people are vultures, plain and simple.