Author Topic: C's and Zeller talking extension  (Read 10083 times)

Re: C's and Zeller talking extension
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 04:22:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Kings just signed Koufos to a 4 yr, 33 million ish deal.  I don't see Zeller getting much more than that. 

EDIT: Nor would I want to sign him for that.  No point in signing role players long term when you don't have a championship level (or future championship level) core in place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:54:29 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
That's great, Stevens is making everyone look much better than they really are. and we have to pay for it.

joking aside, i hope those players considering a hometown discount just for the privilege to play under Stevens.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm definitely not a fan, if I had my druthers he wouldn't even be in the rotation this year. There's no reason to give a player like that an extension.

And even if you are a fan, his upside is really a backup center on a contender. And given that we don't have a starting center, nor are we a contender, I think that's putting the cart way before the horse.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The Kings just signed Koufos to a 4 yr, 33 million ish deal.  I don't see Zeller getting much more than that.
That's good news. I could see Zeller getting right around that amount.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I really don't like Tyler Zeller.

Yes, I love his hard work, and quick motor. But hes a back up center. So why are we thinking of extending a back up center, especially if we don't have a starting one, and our chances of getting one are slim to none? Way I see it, Zeller will either try to resign for a very team friendly option contract, or he'll just have a good contract that can allow Ainge to flip him to another team.

I'm not set on Zeller, and really don't want to re-sign. If we had acquired a dominant center, and Zeller was still here, then sure, extend him all you want, but hes not a starting caliber center.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Yes, I love his hard work, and quick motor. But hes a back up center. So why are we thinking of extending a back up center, especially if we don't have a starting one, and our chances of getting one are slim to none? Way I see it, Zeller will either try to resign for a very team friendly option contract, or he'll just have a good contract that can allow Ainge to flip him to another team.

I'm not set on Zeller, and really don't want to re-sign. If we had acquired a dominant center, and Zeller was still here, then sure, extend him all you want, but hes not a starting caliber center.
I don't understand your logic. We don't have any other centers so we should get rid of him and have no centers? But if we did have a better center then we should spend money on a redundant player?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I don't understand your logic. We don't have any other centers so we should get rid of him and have no centers? But if we did have a better center then we should spend money on a redundant player?

Umm... I don't get why you don't understand my logic...

Why pay for a center who only has a ceiling as a really good back up? Hes not a starting center.

And honestly, if Zeller wanted 8-10 mil or more, I would let him walk.

And we don't have any other centers? So what? You would be content with paying a guy 8-10 million and ruin our cap flexibility, who has absolutely no chance of starting on any contending team?

I see you're confused by my slim to none comment.

I don't see us getting a center this year through any trades. I see us getting a center in the off-season, where teams will know where our picks will land.

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yes, I love his hard work, and quick motor. But hes a back up center. So why are we thinking of extending a back up center, especially if we don't have a starting one, and our chances of getting one are slim to none?

Because quality, reliable, durable centers are hard to find, and locking up Zeller long term in no way hinders our ability to acquire and / or develop a starting caliber center.

Even if it's just as a trade asset, Zeller is a nice piece to have.  Timofey Mozgov netted the Nuggets TWO first round picks this past season! 

Seven footers who can walk and chew gum at the same time are always valuable.  If you can lock one up to a reasonable deal, it almost always makes sense to do it.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Yes, I love his hard work, and quick motor. But hes a back up center. So why are we thinking of extending a back up center, especially if we don't have a starting one, and our chances of getting one are slim to none?

Because quality, reliable, durable centers are hard to find, and locking up Zeller long term in no way hinders our ability to acquire and / or develop a starting caliber center.

Ainge isn't going to re-sign him right now, just wouldn't make any sense cap wise.

I like Zeller, I just don't want to sign him for 8-10 million, which I see him getting.

I would prefer to find a good back up center for 5-6 million less.

Sorry if I'm being pessimistic, I just don't want to pay over 8 million for any back up center. But I agree Zeller could be a trade asset, which is exactly why I see him signing a team friendly contract.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I would prefer to find a good back up center for 5-6 million less.

It will be overwhelmingly difficult to do this in the new cap environment, unless you sign a bottom of the barrel / D-League guy and he blows up, in which case he'll be due a major raise after a year or so.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Let me ask this question: what happens if Zeller barely plays this year? Right now I'd put him behind Lee, Johnson, Sullinger, and Olynyk. And that's not even taking into account minutes Jerbenko, Mickey, and/or Crowded could get at the 4 (which would bump guys like Lee and Johnson to the 5).

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Let me ask this question: what happens if Zeller barely plays this year? Right now I'd put him behind Lee, Johnson, Sullinger, and Olynyk. And that's not even taking into account minutes Jerbenko, Mickey, and/or Crowded could get at the 4 (which would bump guys like Lee and Johnson to the 5).

If Zeller barely plays this year, I think that'd call into question Stevens' judgment, because Zeller was one of the most consistent and valuable players on the team last year, and I'd rather have him getting minutes at center than Olynyk or Sullinger.

If somebody is going to sit in that frontcourt group, I'd choose one of Sullinger or Olynyk, along with Jerebko.

I think the rotation at center should be ~24 minutes for Amir, ~18-20 minutes for Zeller, and spot minutes for anybody else.  When matchups make it difficult to play a guy without a ton of range at the 5, Stevens can slot in Jerebko or Olynyk to go with a "5-out" look.

As much as the team went small last year, the talent on the team this year dictates going big more often.  That's simply a matter of giving playing time to the guys on the team who are most talented and productive.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If Zeller barely plays this year, I think that'd call into question Stevens' judgment, because Zeller was one of the most consistent and valuable players on the team last year, and I'd rather have him getting minutes at center than Olynyk or Sullinger.

If somebody is going to sit in that frontcourt group, I'd choose one of Sullinger or Olynyk, along with Jerebko.

I think the rotation at center should be ~24 minutes for Amir, ~18-20 minutes for Zeller, and spot minutes for anybody else.  When matchups make it difficult to play a guy without a ton of range at the 5, Stevens can slot in Jerebko or Olynyk to go with a "5-out" look.

As much as the team went small last year, the talent on the team this year dictates going big more often.  That's simply a matter of giving playing time to the guys on the team who are most talented and productive.

My recollection is you're not on board with David Lee, so perhaps that's why you excluded him, but he could be perfectly effective at the 5 against some opponents/lineups (vs. Cleveland and Mozgov, for instance.). I'd put Zeller ahead generally, but there will be a definite minutes crunch in the frontcourt.

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
To add to the discussion on Zeller's worth and potential contract...

Lowe on August 4

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/welcome-to-extensionville-the-nbas-next-big-money-community/

Zeller was one of last season痴 pleasant surprises, scoring efficiently in a variety of ways and providing on-again, off-again rim protection for a Boston defense in desperate need of it. Depending on team context,Zeller looks like either a dynamite third big man or a very nice fourth/fifth starter. Those guys are going to run into the eight figures in the new NBA, and if Boston can snag Zeller long-te rm for anything under $12 million, it may jump at the chance.

Blakely on August 17

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/is-tyler-zeller-next-in-line-for-contract-extension-from-boston-celtics

The 7-foot center is among three Celtics (Jared Sullinger and Perry Jones III) from the 2012 draft class who are in line for a potential extension this fall. But of the trio, Zeller is the most likely to get a deal done prior to the October 31 deadline.

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 10:10:19 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
To add to the discussion on Zeller's worth and potential contract...

Lowe on August 4

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/welcome-to-extensionville-the-nbas-next-big-money-community/

Zeller was one of last season痴 pleasant surprises, scoring efficiently in a variety of ways and providing on-again, off-again rim protection for a Boston defense in desperate need of it. Depending on team context,Zeller looks like either a dynamite third big man or a very nice fourth/fifth starter. Those guys are going to run into the eight figures in the new NBA, and if Boston can snag Zeller long-te rm for anything under $12 million, it may jump at the chance.

Blakely on August 17

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/is-tyler-zeller-next-in-line-for-contract-extension-from-boston-celtics

The 7-foot center is among three Celtics (Jared Sullinger and Perry Jones III) from the 2012 draft class who are in line for a potential extension this fall. But of the trio, Zeller is the most likely to get a deal done prior to the October 31 deadline.

I just don't see it happening. Not when Amir Johnson gets 12 million. There's an age difference but I can't see a world in which Zeller increases his ceiling/level of play so much that he's outplaying even a declining Amir Johnson and getting paid the same.

I think 4 years 30 million or 4 years is about right from Ainge's perspective.
Maximum would 4 years 34 million or 8.5 million per year.
I just don't see that much value in anything more.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.