Author Topic: Trade idea for Otto Porter  (Read 5896 times)

Re: Trade idea for Otto Porter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Porter is their starting 3 with Pierce gone. They aren't trading him for our list of bench guys unless they have other deals lined up to trade them for a 3.

They aren't going to start Oubre when they want to contend in the weak east. They aren't Philly.

Start Turner while Oubre develops. You strengthen everywhere else

Porter is a nice talent but could be "stuck" behind beal and wall

He could be one of the top players here in Boston

I think its a trade that can benefit both teams

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Porter is their starting 3 with Pierce gone. They aren't trading him for our list of bench guys unless they have other deals lined up to trade them for a 3.

They aren't going to start Oubre when they want to contend in the weak east. They aren't Philly.

Why would Porter get stuck behind guards? He is an inch taller than Oubre.

I don't see them having any interest in Turner. Wall is already a great distributor. They don't need a point forward. I also don't think NBA teams get as excited about #15 picks as fans do. If Oubre becomes a decent backup 3, they have already obtained good value for a #15 pick.

Think about the initial idea. Trade for a stretch 4 and then start a SF, Turner, who is a horrible shooter. Unless they have other trade packages to follow this trade, are they helping their chances this year with this move?

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Wall is the point. Beal is the shooting guard. Porter plays the small forward or small ball 4!!How is he ever going to be stuck behind Beal or Wall? That makes no sense!

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Wall is the point. Beal is the shooting guard. Porter plays the small forward or small ball 4!!How is he ever going to be stuck behind Beal or Wall? That makes no sense!

actually nice to see you in a non-cavs thread.  :D

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

No, but Saltlover's deal seems pretty reasonable. Turner is easily as ready as Porter to handle the three and they get a stretch, playmaking 4 in Olynyk. I am not in love with the trade, but it absolutely makes sense for both sides - the Wizards are going on all-in for Durant next year and we need to trim our roster. Acquiring a player with the upside of Porter gives us a real chance to upgrade while giving up players that aren't likely to hit 'star' status.

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

Dont worry will be in Cavs or non cavs threads to make logical points to counter the silly comments you consistently make while your only ever rebuttal is pounding the table about my pro Cavs bias 8) 8)

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

No, but Saltlover's deal seems pretty reasonable. Turner is easily as ready as Porter to handle the three and they get a stretch, playmaking 4 in Olynyk. I am not in love with the trade, but it absolutely makes sense for both sides - the Wizards are going on all-in for Durant next year and we need to trim our roster. Acquiring a player with the upside of Porter gives us a real chance to upgrade while giving up players that aren't likely to hit 'star' status.

Turner cant shoot a lick (esp the 3 ball) and plays no defense. His playmaking is not very valuable to Wiz given the ball is mostly in Walls hands and Beal's ball handling is coming along.

KO sucks and I bet the wiz rather play Porter as a stretch 4 than KO

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Turner cant shoot a lick (esp the 3 ball) and plays no defense. His playmaking is not very valuable to Wiz given the ball is mostly in Walls hands and Beal's ball handling is coming along.

Okay, so the KO sucks portion I won't debate you on as it's a bit of an irrational point.

As for why such a deal could make sense:

1) Wiz want a 4 who can stretch the floor.  Olynyk can.
2) Wiz do not think Porter can play the 4 all year long -- Wittman has said as much in interviews, so Porter is not the preferred solution.
3) Accordingly, Porter would play the 3 more.  Wiz have a couple other players on the roster who can approximate Porter's production this year at the 3 in Jared Dudley and Martell Webster.  Dudley is arguably good enough to start ahead of Porter even if Porter is still on the roster.
4) Turner can serve as a backup to several positions, which gives them roster flexibility.  This can help both limit minutes to players like Beal and Wall who wore down by the end of last season, as well as provide insurance in case of injury.
5) This saves them $2.3 million in cap room next summer, when they desire to be major free agent players.

Accordingly such a trade of Olynyk and Turner could improve the Wizard's overall team construction, despite the fact they are giving up the better talent (that's why it's a 2-for-1).  Is it likely to happen?  No, very few message board trades are.  Is it ludicrous?  Only if you believe Olynyk and Turner are neither quality NBA players, in which case, you are just wrong and hold grudges against one or both players.

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Dont worry will be in Cavs or non cavs threads to make logical points to counter the silly comments you consistently make while your only ever rebuttal is pounding the table about my pro Cavs bias 8) 8)
How's this for a rebuttal:
Porter is unlikely to ever be given the chance to be a number 1 option in DC due to the fact that beal and wall have the top spots locked up.

We have a chance to get a guy who could potentially flourish into a top option of given the appropriate role.

The best comparison would be James harden.

That being said I don't particularly like Otto porter and don't see him as having top option potential.

(Also obviously the OKC situation involed players at another talent level but the idea of harden being stuck behind KD and Westbrook is the same)
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

Okay, so the KO sucks portion I won't debate you on as it's a bit of an irrational point.

[/quote]

Based on what exactly? KO shoots just above avg from 3 (35% at a low volume of attempts) and cant even rebound. I mean I just watched KO grab 1.3rpg in the Playoffs while Otto was grabbing 8rpg. I guess you could argue KO  got low playing time but there is a reason KO gets 13mpg in the PO while Otto is getting 33mpg. Every minute KO is on the floor, he is getting killed on Defense. Wiz would be better off getting a PF at the min to spot Otto at the 4 rather than give up Otto for KO
2) Wiz do not think Porter can play the 4 all year long -- Wittman has said as much in interviews, so Porter is not the preferred solution.

And the solution is either finding a minimum guy, getting a guy in the draft or trading other less desirable players (Webster for eg). Not giving up a clear stud in Otto for 2 non-impact players

3) Accordingly, Porter would play the 3 more.  Wiz have a couple other players on the roster who can approximate Porter's production this year at the 3 in Jared Dudley and Martell Webster. 

Dudely is in his mid 30s. Webster is always hurt. None of these are adequate replacements esp when the players you trading Otto for are non-impact players

Dudley is arguably good enough to start ahead of Porter even if Porter is still on the roster.

Yeah this based on nothing dude. Dudley is way over the hill and is only there for decent spot minutes and locker-room leadership. At this stage in his career other than spot up shooting, he does nothing better than Otto.

4) Turner can serve as a backup to several positions, which gives them roster flexibility.  This can help both limit minutes to players like Beal and Wall who wore down by the end of last season, as well as provide insurance in case of injury.

With Gary Neal, Oubre and Sessions, Wiz have more than enough flexibility at the 1-3 positions. Turner with his lack of a 3ball and defense does not serve much purpose to them

5) This saves them $2.3 million in cap room next summer, when they desire to be major free agent players.

That 2.3mill is not going to be the diff btw them getting KD or not. I also think any free agent would be more enticed with playing with Otto rather than KO and Turner given Otta has tons more room to grow while KO and Turner are who they are.

Accordingly such a trade of Olynyk and Turner could improve the Wizard's overall team construction, despite the fact they are giving up the better talent (that's why it's a 2-for-1).
Is it likely to happen?  No, very few message board trades are.  Is it ludicrous?  Only if you believe Olynyk and Turner are neither quality NBA players, in which case, you are just wrong and hold grudges against one or both players.

Hold no grudges, I just think KO is an awful ball player. Should have taken Giannis

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I don't engage with you anymore as I see your arguments for what they are. Hopefully others won't engage with your nonsense either.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

How's this for a rebuttal:
Porter is unlikely to ever be given the chance to be a number 1 option in DC due to the fact that beal and wall have the top spots locked up.

We have a chance to get a guy who could potentially flourish into a top option of given the appropriate role.

The best comparison would be James harden.

That being said I don't particularly like Otto porter and don't see him as having top option potential.

(Also obviously the OKC situation involed players at another talent level but the idea of harden being stuck behind KD and Westbrook is the same)

What you on about?? Otto's ceiling is being an elite 3 and D guy who can play the small ball 4. He has neither the handles, playmaking or 1v1 scoring ability to ever be a number 1 option.

The Harden comparison tells me you never consistently watched Harden in OKC or Otto this season. From day one Harden always had handles, shooting, finishing at the rim and ability to get the line. His offensive ability was the main reason they brought him of the bench so he could lead the second unit and still play in crunch time. Harden and Otto's offensive arsenals are not even comparable. Harden has always been miles ahead offensively from day 1

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

3) Accordingly, Porter would play the 3 more.  Wiz have a couple other players on the roster who can approximate Porter's production this year at the 3 in Jared Dudley and Martell Webster.  Dudley is arguably good enough to start ahead of Porter even if Porter is still on the roster.

Accordingly such a trade of Olynyk and Turner could improve the Wizard's overall team construction, despite the fact they are giving up the better talent (that's why it's a 2-for-1).  Is it likely to happen?  No, very few message board trades are.  Is it ludicrous?  Only if you believe Olynyk and Turner are neither quality NBA players, in which case, you are just wrong and hold grudges against one or both players.

saltlover seriously don't bother with this guy... it will go nowhere. tp

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

LOL!!!"  :'( :'(!! This dude keeps shooting down all my baseless comments with logic and facts so i dont want anyone else debating with him"!!!  :'( :'(

Pathetic!! :D

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

LOL!!!"  :'( :'(!! This dude keeps shooting down all my baseless comments with logic and facts so i dont want anyone else debating with him"!!!  :'( :'(

Pathetic!! :D

I haven't even made arguments with you here (or really very often in other threads) so I am not sure what you are referring to.  My post is in response to the fact that you have aggressively dominated many threads with non-constructive commentary added (much like the eye roles and calling me pathetic illustrated here) and killed several topics. I would prefer to not see more threads, or a discussion of an interesting trade proposal dragged down to that level.