Author Topic: Red Sox Firing Don Orsillo?  (Read 17296 times)

Red Sox Firing Don Orsillo?
« on: August 25, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Twitter is blowing up amid reports that this is going to be Don Orsillo's final season doing play by play for season.

That would blow.  Orsillo is one of the best baseball play by play guys in the biz and it'd certainly be another boneheaded decision by a seemingly tone-deaf Red Sox organization.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Red Sox Firing Don Orsillo?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:48:05 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Twitter is blowing up amid reports that this is going to be Don Orsillo's final season doing play by play for season.

That would blow.  Orsillo is one of the best baseball play by play guys in the biz and it'd certainly be another boneheaded decision by a seemingly tone-deaf Red Sox organization.

Unless I missed something and the Sox bought NESN, this is just another sign of how NESN is going down the toilet, not a boneheaded move by the Sox
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Unless I missed something and the Sox bought NESN, this is just another sign of how NESN is going down the toilet, not a boneheaded move by the Sox

Sox own 80% of NESN.  Has been that way for years.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Ahh, I thought it was the Bruins that owned the majority

I guess that explains the horrible state of the network, then
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, the Bruins own the other 20%.

This Orsillo thing seems to have Werner's hands all over it.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Ever since they fired Francona I've been wary of the team, the ONLY good decision ownership has made was hiring Farrell (and now Dombrowski), but I still don't trust them

They're the one Boston team I REALLY hope gets sold
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Ever since they fired Francona I've been wary of the team, the ONLY good decision ownership has made was hiring Farrell (and now Dombrowski), but I still don't trust them

They're the one Boston team I REALLY hope gets sold

This ownership group has won three championships and you can't take that away from them, but I know what you mean.  They do irritate me.  Why fire Orsillo?  He's one of the better play by play guys and a likeable guy.  There is too much drama with these guys.  The way they treated Francona was awful.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 12:09:27 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Are ratings down? (probably).  Assuming they are down, do they think the problem is Don Orsillo and not the crappy play of the team this year?  Or maybe they think Orsillo is to blame the team's bad play somehow.

In either case, this makes no sense unless there is something else going on such Orsillo having an affair with Wally or something like that (kidding of course but you get my drift).

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
You can pretty much guarantee that Orsillo will land on his feet with a national television outlet whether its Fox or ESPN or a more visible role at TBS (for the love of god, remove Ernie Johnson from baseball).

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Don's great, but I'm guessing there's more to this story than is out there right now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I hope this isn't true.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
From BSMW:

It’s both surprising and not.

The recent front-office shakeups may have had an impact all the way to the television booth.

There have been rumors for some time about the Red Sox and Orsillo parting ways. One version was that management at NESN, namely Joseph Maar has been trying to push Orsillo out the door. What held them back was Larry Lucchino, who is close with Orsillo. With Lucchino stepping down as team President/CEO, Orsillo is losing that protection.

Orsillo has been in the NESN booth since 2001, his first game being Hideo Nomo’s no-hitter and Orsillo immediately took gruff for his understated call of the ending of the game. He’s done postseason work for TBS, and will probably have no problem finding another high-profile job.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Only thing I would consider more surprising than Orsillo being let go (whether by his choice or theirs) by the Sox is if Mike Gorman were let go by CSNNE. 

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Only thing I would consider more surprising than Orsillo being let go (whether by his choice or theirs) by the Sox is if Mike Gorman were let go by CSNNE.

Barring some unforeseen scandal, I have to think the position is Gorman's as long as he wants.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's a shame that inter-office politics can get in the way of delivering the best fan experience, but what can you do?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.