Author Topic: Reggie Wayne signs with Pats  (Read 4494 times)

Reggie Wayne signs with Pats
« on: August 25, 2015, 08:53:16 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Interesting signing.  Obviously not nearly the player he once was, but shouldn't make too many mistakes if he makes it on the field.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Reggie Wayne signs with Pats
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So pats top 4 receivers this year will be

Lafell, Edelman, Wayne, Dobson

With a healthy Gronk and Scott Chandler at TE. 

If Brady plays all 16 games and is p---ed off at the NFL I think he may be MVP. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I wonder how hard Welker tried to get back on the pats...

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
He tried but he couldn't remember where they played.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Welker should retire to save himself. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Welker should retire to save himself.

I agree... but he doesn't want to. He is in a sense being blackballed out of the league on health concerns it seems. He could definitely be a 4th receiver I think from talent alone. He also isn't ancient (he is a few years younger then wayne) and wasn't sure fast to begin with.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Christopher Price had an article about what to possibly expect out of Wayne this season (assuming he makes the roster)

In the wake of this week’s signing of Reggie Wayne, there was some talk about what sort of expectations the Patriots might have for the veteran wide receiver in 2015. With the understanding that Wayne will turn 37 in November, here’s a look at the 10 best seasons for 37-year-old receivers in the history of the NFL.

1. Terrell Owens (2010), 72 catches, 983 yards, 9 touchdowns
2. Jerry Rice (1999), 67 catches, 830 yards, 5 touchdowns
3. Charlie Joiner (1984), 61 catches, 793 yards, 6 touchdowns
4. Tim Brown (2003), 52 catches, 567 yards, 2 touchdowns
5. Art Monk (1994), 46 catches, 581 yards, 3 touchdowns
6. Drew Hill (1993), 34 catches, 384 yards, 0 touchdowns
7. Don Maynard (1972), 29 catches, 510 yards, 2 touchdowns
8. Irving Fryar (1999), 26 catches, 254 yards, 2 touchdowns
9. Ricky Proehl (2005), 25 catches, 441 yards, 4 touchdowns
10. Keenan McCardell (2007), 22 catches, 256 yards, 1 touchdown

While Wayne’s career arc has slipped as of late (he’s gone from 111 catches and 1,355 receiving yards in 2010 to 64 catches for 779 yards last season), provided he stays healthy in 2015, there’s the real possibility of him showing up on this list at the end of the year. One interesting historical comparison could be Monk. Both have a relatively similar body type (Wayne is 6-foot and 198 pounds, while Monk was a slightly bigger target at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds), and both are known as being steady and relatively durable. (Between the ages of 30 and 37, they each played in at least 15 seasons in six of seven seasons.) Monk spent 14 years with Washington before joining the Jets in 1994. In his lone season with the Jets, the 37-year-old managed to catch 46 passes. Wayne is on a similar path, having spent 14 years with the Colts before joining the Patriots. Ultimately, considering the environment he’s walking into and his past record, if he’s able to replicate Monk’s production, New England will probably be very happy.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Christopher Price had an article about what to possibly expect out of Wayne this season (assuming he makes the roster)

In the wake of this week’s signing of Reggie Wayne, there was some talk about what sort of expectations the Patriots might have for the veteran wide receiver in 2015. With the understanding that Wayne will turn 37 in November, here’s a look at the 10 best seasons for 37-year-old receivers in the history of the NFL.

While Wayne’s career arc has slipped as of late (he’s gone from 111 catches and 1,355 receiving yards in 2010 to 64 catches for 779 yards last season), provided he stays healthy in 2015, there’s the real possibility of him showing up on this list at the end of the year. One interesting historical comparison could be Monk. Both have a relatively similar body type (Wayne is 6-foot and 198 pounds, while Monk was a slightly bigger target at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds), and both are known as being steady and relatively durable. (Between the ages of 30 and 37, they each played in at least 15 seasons in six of seven seasons.) Monk spent 14 years with Washington before joining the Jets in 1994. In his lone season with the Jets, the 37-year-old managed to catch 46 passes. Wayne is on a similar path, having spent 14 years with the Colts before joining the Patriots. Ultimately, considering the environment he’s walking into and his past record, if he’s able to replicate Monk’s production, New England will probably be very happy.

It seems like historical data in the US may not be super useful in trying to predict how older players will perform because rule changes (specifically related to Wayne, changes in how targeting is calling) and medical advancements gives players a much better chance at performing in a high level in their late 30's.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sounds like the best case scenario is that Wayne more or less gives the Pats what they got out of Brandon LaFell last year.

Seems like a very good thing the Pats signed Chandler in the off-season.  With Vereen gone and most of the WRs injured heading into the season, they're going to need to rely heavily on the tight ends in the passing game. 

Will probably need to run the ball quite a lot, too.  Good thing the team used a bunch of draft picks on run-blocking offensive linesmen.

Expect the offense to be even more dink-and-dunky than it has been in the past, particularly if Garoppolo plays.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 05:10:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Sounds like the best case scenario is that Wayne more or less gives the Pats what they got out of Brandon LaFell last year.

Seems like a very good thing the Pats signed Chandler in the off-season.  With Vereen gone and most of the WRs injured heading into the season, they're going to need to rely heavily on the tight ends in the passing game. 

Will probably need to run the ball quite a lot, too.  Good thing the team used a bunch of draft picks on run-blocking offensive linesmen.

Expect the offense to be even more dink-and-dunky than it has been in the past, particularly if Garoppolo plays.
I think the Chandler signing means that their base will be two tight ends and two wide outs. That formation lends itself towards running the ball more (unless a team loads the box in which case Gronk should be able to get open over the top).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think the Chandler signing means that their base will be two tight ends and two wide outs. That formation lends itself towards running the ball more (unless a team loads the box in which case Gronk should be able to get open over the top).

Agreed.

I expect to see a lot of 5-10 yard passes to Gronk, Chandler, Edelman, and a smattering of other small, sturdy guys.  On top of that, lots and power running and screen plays.

Garoppolo, if he starts, will probably be a hand-off machine with a healthy dose of play action.  Not unlike what Sanchez did with the Jets.

With Jimmy G, when they've really established the run and the offensive line is doing well, they might be able to mix in some deep throws -- the kind that Brady can't really make anymore.   That may be the sort of play where Wayne comes in.  Or perhaps Boyce or one of the undrafted guys.  I don't expect anything out of Aaron Dobson anymore (what a disappointing class of receivers).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

It seems like historical data in the US may not be super useful in trying to predict how older players will perform because rule changes (specifically related to Wayne, changes in how targeting is calling) and medical advancements gives players a much better chance at performing in a high level in their late 30's.

Sure it can be.  We can always go "pie in the sky" thinking and believe that it'll be Moss '07 redux but let's be realistic here, those are some solid comparisons and we're also talking about a player coming off a variety of health issues and 37 years old. Barring some unforeseen calamities, best case scenario for him is to project as a WR2 or WR3 here.   You add in the Gronk factor and I think Wayne's numbers won't be anything spectacular.   

I think what Price is doing here is grounding expectations and while it certainly wouldn't surprise me if Wayne did crack this top ten, I certainly wouldn't be shocked either if he didn't come close to it. 

At this stage, the Wayne signing is about adding depth to a depleted receiving corps and hoping the guy has something left in the tank.  He probably does but I'm not sure how much.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Interesting signing.  Obviously not nearly the player he once was, but shouldn't make too many mistakes if he makes it on the field.
Well, our WRs have been dropping like flies, so at this point we need a guy who can stand on both feet and catch a ball...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 06:33:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Sure it can be.  We can always go "pie in the sky" thinking and believe that it'll be Moss '07 redux but let's be realistic here, those are some solid comparisons and we're also talking about a player coming off a variety of health issues and 37 years old. Barring some unforeseen calamities, best case scenario for him is to project as a WR2 or WR3 here.   You add in the Gronk factor and I think Wayne's numbers won't be anything spectacular.   

I think what Price is doing here is grounding expectations and while it certainly wouldn't surprise me if Wayne did crack this top ten, I certainly wouldn't be shocked either if he didn't come close to it. 

At this stage, the Wayne signing is about adding depth to a depleted receiving corps and hoping the guy has something left in the tank.  He probably does but I'm not sure how much.

I am not sure what your pie in the sky refers to. I am not thinking Wayne is going to have an amazing year. I am just saying that some highly skilled players have the opportunity to perform better at a later age than previous generations of the sports. This would be pretty hard to argue against at the QB position where the best players (Peyton, Brady Brees) are excelling at an age when very few have previously played. While the rule changes at WR are not as pronounced as they have been at QB, I do think the implementation of Targeting could allow a few posession type receivers (coupled with improvements in medical procedures, diet, etc) to have a little bit longer careers than in the past.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So pats top 4 receivers this year will be

Lafell, Edelman, Wayne, Dobson

With a healthy Gronk and Scott Chandler at TE. 

If Brady plays all 16 games and is p---ed off at the NFL I think he may be MVP.

If all those guys are healthy, yes, things could be fabulous. Right now, though, at least half those guys are out.  :(
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis