Author Topic: [Woj] Charlotte finalizing multi-year extension with Kidd-Gilchrist.  (Read 17496 times)

Re: [Woj] Charlotte finalizing multi-year extension with Kidd-Gilchrist.
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
This is a terrible deal. If the Celtics ever signed mgk to this deal we would be all over ainge, and rightfully so. Period.

13 mill a year for mgk is comical, Jordan is an awful gm. Frank Kaminsky at 9 and mgk for 52 million? What a summer Lol

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
See this is why Ainge is a better GM than some GMs. MKG is like 80% of Avery B, but they're gonna pay him almost 200% of what AB will make.
I agree DA is better than a lot of other GMs but let's not let DA off the hook completely when it comes to cost control of role players. DA should have paid the extra year on Posey but went cheap. That I believe cost the team another ring. You can overpay once you have a big three and starting 5 locked up as in what C's had.

It's not that we were unwilling to overpay Posey for 1 year out of 4, it's that we were willing to overpay him for 2 years out of 3, but not 3 out of 4.  His contract was an albatross by the 2nd season, to the point that he was paid not to play in year 4.

The failure to resign Tony Allen at a younger age for fewer $ is to me a much more indefensible decision during the Big 3 era.
I'd deal with the year or two for that second ring. And completely forgot about TA. That is another role player they should have paid more to keep. Like AJ make short but high to keep TA.

Not that we could've known at the time, but unless Posey could've somehow prevented KG's knee injury, we weren't getting that second ring with or without him.
um Boston lost a 7 game series in the nba finals.  good chance that Posey could have made a difference in that series, especially game 7 without Perk that Boston lost by 4.

Um, 2010 James Posey that shot 36% from the field, and saw his steals cut in half from 2 years earlier?  2008 James Posey would have been great to have that year, but we got his last good season with Banner 17.

Yeah I know it's a derail, but 08-09 is I think the only season Posey could've helped us, and KG's injury made that moot.  By 09-10 I think he'd've been getting spot minutes at best and had a lot of his time eaten up by TA.  It's possible by that year he would've actually hurt our team.

...on the other hand, maybe Danny would've considered even an ineffective Posey enough wing depth in 10-11 to not trade Perk for Jeff Green...*runs away*

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2015, 09:17:39 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
That is too much for a 3 and D wing with no 3.

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If people want a more apples to apples....K Middleton is going to make like 14 for the next 3 years and then decrease to 13.

Guys like G Monroe are going to be making like 16.

Aaron Afflalo will make 8 for the next year and then he has an option for 8.

Wes Matthews will be making 16 to 18 for the next 4 years.

DeMarre Carrol is going to be making 13.6 up to 15.4 for the next 4 years

Reggie Jackson will make 14 up to 18 for the next 5 years

Marcus Morris will make 5 per for the next 4 years

Kemba is making 12 for the next 4 years

Patrick Beverly is going to make 6.5 down to 5 for the next 4 years

Ricky Rubio is making 12 up to 14 for the next 4 years

Kenneth Farried is making 11 up to 13 for the next 4 years

Wilson Chandler is making 10.5 to 12.8 for the next 4 years

Goran Dragic makes like 14.8 to 19.2 for the next 5 years

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Some of you are crazy. If Posey would have got this team another ring who cares if he was bad last 2 years. Not like C's won any more rings at all. And what did they do with the slight cap space? Add the likes of the O'Neal(s) and Wallace. Again much rather another ring.

As others have alluded to, Posey would not have gotten the Celtics to another championship because of KG's knee in 2009, and as I've said before, Posey stopped being good after 2009, so no, it would not have been worth it. Not only would the Celtics have been ringless but people would have been peeved at Danny for giving him that contract.
I don't see that at all. What people fail to account for in Posey's bad seasons is how would he have been with C's. Completely different teams make a difference on a player's role and effectivness.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:43:52 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Some of you are crazy. If Posey would have got this team another ring who cares if he was bad last 2 years. Not like C's won any more rings at all. And what did they do with the slight cap space? Add the likes of the O'Neal(s) and Wallace. Again much rather another ring.

As others have alluded to, Posey would not have gotten the Celtics to another championship because of KG's knee in 2009, and as I've said before, Posey stopped being good after 2009, so no, it would not have been worth it. Not only would the Celtics have been ringless but people would have been peeved at Danny for giving him that contract.
I dont see that at all. What people fail to account for in Posey's bad seasons is how would he have been with C's. Completely different teams make a difference on a players role and effectivness.

I don't see it. I feel that's more wishful thinking. Some role players just don't have longevity and they lose their fastball. Posey was approaching his mid-30s, and I'm pretty sure if he had still been good then someone would have signed him after the Pacers amnestied him. He was only 34. Point is, I think Posey was over the hill by 2010.

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I guarantee that a year ago, you would've ventured to bet there was no shot of Iguodala ever receiving a Finals MVP until it happened. Regardless, I'm not sure what the Finals MVP has to do with this since Iggy won that largely on the strength of his defense against LeBron.

Funny, I thought he was amazingly efficient on offense as well.  He averaged 16.3 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 4 assists.

He was. If you'd actually bother to read and/or properly comprehend my post, you'd see how I said he won that *largely* on the strength of his defense.

Here's one of the Cleveland media personalities discussing why he voted Iguodala for MVP:

Two defining factors shaped my final vote: In my mind James had to get it to a Game 7 and Iguodala’s insertion into the starting lineup changed everything. His on/off numbers were indicative of this entire series. When Iguodala was off the court, LeBron shot 44 percent and the Cavs outscored the Warriors by 30 points. When Iguodala was on the court, he was James’ primary defender. James shot 38 percent and the Warriors outscored the Cavs by 55. If the Warriors didn’t have Iguodala, the Cavs would’ve won this series. That’s pretty valuable in my eyes.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-cavaliers/cleveland-cavaliers-1.275356/warriors-105-cavs-97-jason-lloyd-s-51-thoughts-on-a-51-year-drought-and-why-iguodala-was-mvp-1.601019?localLinksEnabled=false

Here's Marc Spears crediting Iguodala's defense for why he felt he should be MVP:

http://www.knbr.com/2015/06/15/spears-backs-iguodala-for-nba-finals-mvp/

So, again, his MVP was largely due to his defense. As per a few of the actual people who voted for him.

Also, why didn't you respond to Iggy making 790 threes to MKG's 3.  There really is not anything you could say, so I certainly understand you just ignoring that.

Because it's irrelevant? Iguodala didn't win Finals MVP because he's made 790 career three pointers. Good for you being able to read a stat on BBRef, I guess.

Iggy MORE than doubled his yearly scoring average in the Finals against allegedly one of the best defenders in the game, Lebron!!!  And he shot the ball very efficiently.  I didn't get the stats off BBRef EP.  But, thanks for the cut down.  You are clearly my intellectual superior in your own mind. 

Smitty77

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm clearly your intellectual superior in your mind, given that you've some weird-ass obsession with constantly bringing that up. Inferiority complexes are a funny thing.

Iggy MORE than doubled his yearly scoring average in the Finals against allegedly one of the best defenders in the game, Lebron!!!  And he shot the ball very efficiently.

I don't care. Actual people who gave Iguodala the award said they voted for him primarily because of his defense against LeBron.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:16:39 AM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2015, 08:36:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I dont see that at all. What people fail to account for in Posey's bad seasons is how would he have been with C's. Completely different teams make a difference on a players role and effectivness.

I don't see it. I feel that's more wishful thinking. Some role players just don't have longevity and they lose their fastball. Posey was approaching his mid-30s, and I'm pretty sure if he had still been good then someone would have signed him after the Pacers amnestied him. He was only 34. Point is, I think Posey was over the hill by 2010.
He was still a decent outside shooter and good foul shooter in 09/10.  His outside shooting alone might have made the difference in one of the 4 games Boston lost, especially game 7 which was the 4 point loss and in which Boston only played 6 guys more than 6 minutes.  Maybe Pierce and Allen don't combine for 8 of 29 (and they were something like 2 of 8 in the 4th quarter) if Posey gets them a few extra minutes of rest. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Iggy MORE than doubled his yearly scoring average in the Finals against allegedly one of the best defenders in the game, Lebron!!!  And he shot the ball very efficiently.

I don't care. Actual people who gave Iguodala the award said they voted for him primarily because of his defense against LeBron.

Yeah that should be obvious to anyone who watched the series. He won Finals MVP because he stopped the best player on the floor from acting like it in key games.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'm clearly your intellectual superior in your mind, given that you've some weird-ass obsession with constantly bringing that up. Inferiority complexes are a funny thing.

Iggy shot 52.1% from the field (second on team to Lee) and shot 40% from three (second highest on team if you exclude Barbosa for attempting so few!!!

Without his SCORING, the Cavs are the 2015 Champions!!!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-finals-cavaliers-vs-warriors.html

Smitty77

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
One more time for emphasis:

You're still not disproving my point. The people who gave Iguodala the Finals MVP said they did so because of his defense. Period. That's it. Nothing more to be discussed.

He won his MVP because of his defense. How do I know this? Because the people who awarded him MVP credited his defense. Honestly, I don't care about your take on why he won MVP; you didn't have a vote. Your views on his scoring playing into his MVP vote are irrelevant because the people who actually had a say in the matter said they awarded him MVP because of his defense. Your take as a non-voter means as much as mine on the matter, which is to say nothing at all because we have relevant takes from people who voted. We can have our own opinions as to why Iguodala deserved the MVP; that's not changing the reason he was voted MVP, which was because of his defense. As per the people who voted.

I'm being redundant because this point is somehow still eluding you despite the fact that I keep pointing out that the actual people who voted for him cited a very specific reason for doing so (again, his defense).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:37:17 PM by Endless Paradise »