Author Topic: [Woj] Charlotte finalizing multi-year extension with Kidd-Gilchrist.  (Read 17480 times)

Re: [Woj] Charlotte finalizing multi-year extension with Kidd-Gilchrist.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Lots of people are going to get overpaid with the new contracts and bargining agreement.
MKG is overpaid for the new dollars.  He isn't worth 12% of the cap.  Far too much for him.

Draymond Green signed a maximum contract this offseason. When you consider the MKG's age, the improvements he's already made, and his reported work ethic, I think his floor is basically what Draymond Green was last season. It's worth the investment, IMO.

This is the new NBA.
I disagree. I think he can reach 2015 Draymond Green level, and I dont think it out of the question that he could surpass that level, but I do not think it is by any means a given that he reaches that level.

That being said I like the deal for Charlotte.
He said floor, not ceiling.

The thing is MKG has never come close to what Green was last year and he will never be the shooter Green is.  MKG has shown nothing that says he is worth 12% of the cap.  Green has shown that he could be worth the 15% or so he will be paid (and he still has some work to do to get there).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
MKG isn't a guy you build around, but perimeter defenders like that with offensive upside . . . really nice piece to have.  No brainer for Charlotte to extend him.

Pretty much how I see it.
but at 12% of the cap.  That is a pretty steep price to pay for a role player.

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I wouldn't have paid him more than 9-10 mill a season until he showed some offensive improvement.

He did exactly that last year. His jump shot was worlds better just as far as form alone. Now he just needs to work on being more efficient with it. And by most accounts, he has the work ethic and potential to do just that.
that's great that he has that work ethic and his form looks better.  wouldn't start paying him big $ until the results showed themselves on the court though
Its a risk. Charlotte is gambling that he can turn himself into an acceptable shooter. If he is unable to become a decent shooter, this is an overpay. If he is able to turn himself into a decent shooter this contract is a huge huge steal.

I believe the risk is worth the reward.

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
Lots of people are going to get overpaid with the new contracts and bargining agreement.
MKG is overpaid for the new dollars.  He isn't worth 12% of the cap.  Far too much for him.

Draymond Green signed a maximum contract this offseason. When you consider the MKG's age, the improvements he's already made, and his reported work ethic, I think his floor is basically what Draymond Green was last season. It's worth the investment, IMO.

This is the new NBA.
I disagree. I think he can reach 2015 Draymond Green level, and I dont think it out of the question that he could surpass that level, but I do not think it is by any means a given that he reaches that level.

That being said I like the deal for Charlotte.
He said floor, not ceiling.

The thing is MKG has never come close to what Green was last year and he will never be the shooter Green is.  MKG has shown nothing that says he is worth 12% of the cap.  Green has shown that he could be worth the 15% or so he will be paid (and he still has some work to do to get there).
I know...
I think Kidd-Gilchrist's ceiling is slightly above 2015 Draymond Green. I think to say his floor is 2015 Draymond Green is either to not understand what "floor" means, to be a member of the Kidd-Gilchrist family, or to be a delusional Bobcats fan.

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
MKG isn't a guy you build around, but perimeter defenders like that with offensive upside . . . really nice piece to have.  No brainer for Charlotte to extend him.

Im sensing the power of Hinkie is strong with this one.

Nerlens Noel is a role-player. Id still pay him 12% of my cap, and I get the feeling you would too.

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

He's a month shy of 22, already a very solid defender, and there is still room for growth here.

I think you're too hung up on this 12% thing.

Like I said earlier, this is a contract that will look better in a couple years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't have paid him more than 9-10 mill a season until he showed some offensive improvement.

He did exactly that last year. His jump shot was worlds better just as far as form alone. Now he just needs to work on being more efficient with it. And by most accounts, he has the work ethic and potential to do just that.
that's great that he has that work ethic and his form looks better.  wouldn't start paying him big $ until the results showed themselves on the court though
Its a risk. Charlotte is gambling that he can turn himself into an acceptable shooter. If he is unable to become a decent shooter, this is an overpay. If he is able to turn himself into a decent shooter this contract is a huge huge steal.

I believe the risk is worth the reward.
I think that sums it up pretty well -- a risk that if it pays off, it's a solid deal for Charlotte.  It not, overpaid player. 

Considering Charlotte's track record on evaluating players, I'm leaning towards it being a poor risk.

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Charlotte has to pay to keep talent.  Having young talent on the roster is their only hope of attracting additional talent in the future, not to mention keeping the guys they already have (e.g. Batum).

Charlotte can't afford to be cheap with good players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Charlotte has to pay to keep talent.  Having young talent on the roster is their only hope of attracting additional talent in the future, not to mention keeping the guys they already have (e.g. Batum).

Charlotte can't afford to be cheap with good players.
I'd argue that a team like Charlotte can't afford to overpay anyone especially role players.  Charlotte has Jefferson, Batum, and Walker forming their 3 best players.  Now granted Jefferson and Batum are up coming free agents, but MKG was restricted.  I don't think anyone is giving MKG 13 million a year next summer and since he is restricted I see no reason to pay him that sort of money.  Now maybe MKG all of a sudden learns how to shoot and becomes this aggressive scoring machine thus more than earning his salary, but I just don't see it.  Defensive role players who can't shoot aren't worth 13 million a year. 

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

You are paying 12% now for a player who will be worth 20% of the cap by the time the contract ends.

Sure you can wait on signing him to an extension because he isn't worth it now, but doing so will cost you a ton of money when he actually is a free agent.

Look at the free agent class and how many teams will have money, had Charlotte waited I think there was a good chance they had to match a max offer sheet for MKG.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 02:15:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think a guy like MKG would normally get around $7-8 million per annum. I think an older established veteran would get more like $5 million but considering he is young and still improving, I think there is a premium for potential which gets him up to $7-8 million per year.

So $7-8 million in a $70 million cap.
Is $13 million in a $108 million cap.

That sounds about right to my eyes.

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Defensive role players who can't shoot aren't worth 13 million a year.

I think players with MKG's talent and skillset will get that kind of money in the new cap environment.

The thing about MKG is he's more of a finishing piece to a good team rather than a starting point.  Still, Charlotte can't afford to just let talent walk out the door.  Somebody will give them value for MKG on that contract if they look to trade him.

It's the same reason that it was a no-brainer for Orlando to re-sign Tobias Harris.

Anyway, it's not our money, and I really doubt this deal is going to prevent Charlotte from signing anyone.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 02:28:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I think a guy like MKG would normally get around $7-8 million per annum. I think an older established veteran would get more like $5 million but considering he is young and still improving, I think there is a premium for potential which gets him up to $7-8 million per year.

Your math is off.  13 million is over 12%.  7 million is 10% and 8 million is 11.4%.  I'd say MKG is worth more in the 7 million range personally or 10%ish.  That extra 2% is a big deal (you know like 2 million a year big). 

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Your math is off.  13 million is over 12%.  7 million is 10% and 8 million is 11.4%.  I'd say MKG is worth more in the 7 million range personally or 10%ish.  That extra 2% is a big deal (you know like 2 million a year big).

Also eyes cannot hear.

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Also eyes cannot hear.
well to be fair, he's just Who.  he's not Doctor Who ;)