Author Topic: [Woj] Charlotte finalizing multi-year extension with Kidd-Gilchrist.  (Read 17492 times)

Re: [Woj] Charlotte finalizing multi-year extension with Kidd-Gilchrist.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I wouldn't have paid him more than 9-10 mill a season until he showed some offensive improvement.

He did exactly that last year. His jump shot was worlds better just as far as form alone. Now he just needs to work on being more efficient with it. And by most accounts, he has the work ethic and potential to do just that.

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Watch as players of similar quality to him gets max contract offers in free agency next year. I think he is making a mistake re-upping now. He is only 21 years old and top five defensively at his position. His shooting has improved his shooting from 10 feet and beyond every single year. As he gets older and tightens his handle I think he will be able to create off the bounce.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 09:56:28 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Another one of those contracts that will look better 2 years from now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 10:14:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't have paid him more than 9-10 mill a season until he showed some offensive improvement.

He did exactly that last year. His jump shot was worlds better just as far as form alone. Now he just needs to work on being more efficient with it. And by most accounts, he has the work ethic and potential to do just that.
that's great that he has that work ethic and his form looks better.  wouldn't start paying him big $ until the results showed themselves on the court though

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

that's great that he has that work ethic and his form looks better.  wouldn't start paying him big $ until the results showed themselves on the court though

He's basically league-average from midrange now. The results are showing themselves.

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

He's basically league-average from midrange now. The results are showing themselves.
You can't pay a SF 12% of your cap that has taken 18 three point attempts in 3 seasons and took none in his most recent season. 

Also, from 3' to 10' he shot just 28% (down from 31.3%).  From 10 to 16' he is a pretty solid 50% though (huge improvement from a paltry 15.4% the prior year).  The thing is only 7% of his shots are from 10 to 16 while 15.6% of his shots are form 3 to 10'.  Nearly half of his shots are from 0 to 3' and his percentage on those actually dropped from the prior year to last year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You can't pay a SF 12% of your cap that has taken 18 three point attempts in 3 seasons and took none in his most recent season.

You edited your post, which was good, as it had the wrong stats.

Still, MKG has drastically improved his shooting.  He shot 14.3% and 15.4% in his first two years from 10-16 feet, which is beyond abominable.  Last year it improved to a very respectable, and even useful, 50%.  His 16-23 foot shot improved from 30% to 37% as well over the same period.  The coaching staff has worked on developing his shot, and they obviously told him to not shoot threes, and instead focus on making other shots.  As those are now more consistent, I would expect him to start stretching to the 3-point line.

MKG is 22 and an elite defender.  Charlotte has way more information than we do regarding what happens on the practice court.  You're right that he needs to be able to take, and make, more 3's for this contract to be of value.  I'm guessing Charlotte thinks that will be part of his game by the time his contract kicks in, given his improvements to date.

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

You edited your post, which was good, as it had the wrong stats.

Still, MKG has drastically improved his shooting.  He shot 14.3% and 15.4% in his first two years from 10-16 feet, which is beyond abominable.  Last year it improved to a very respectable, and even useful, 50%.  His 16-23 foot shot improved from 30% to 37% as well over the same period.  The coaching staff has worked on developing his shot, and they obviously told him to not shoot threes, and instead focus on making other shots.  As those are now more consistent, I would expect him to start stretching to the 3-point line.

MKG is 22 and an elite defender.  Charlotte has way more information than we do regarding what happens on the practice court.  You're right that he needs to be able to take, and make, more 3's for this contract to be of value.  I'm guessing Charlotte thinks that will be part of his game by the time his contract kicks in, given his improvements to date.
yeah I was looking at the percentage of shots taken, not the percentage of makes.  I realized it and altered the post.  The new post is accurate and I maintain my original take.  MKG is worth no where near his contract at his current level of play.  Maybe he improves enough to make it worthwhile, but as of now he hasn't shown that level of ability.

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
That's a lot of money for a guy who can't shoot... at all...
Danny sure did a good job regarding Avery Bradley's contract. Looks like a huge steal with all these big contracts that players have been getting this year.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Lots of people are going to get overpaid with the new contracts and bargining agreement.

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 11:31:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Lots of people are going to get overpaid with the new contracts and bargining agreement.
MKG is overpaid for the new dollars.  He isn't worth 12% of the cap.  Far too much for him.

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
MKG is overpaid for the new dollars.  He isn't worth 12% of the cap.  Far too much for him.

Draymond Green signed a maximum contract this offseason. When you consider the MKG's age, the improvements he's already made, and his reported work ethic, I think his floor is basically what Draymond Green was last season. It's worth the investment, IMO.

This is the new NBA.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Draymond Green signed a maximum contract this offseason. When you consider the MKG's age, the improvements he's already made, and his reported work ethic, I think his floor is basically what Draymond Green was last season. It's worth the investment, IMO.

This is the new NBA.
I disagree. I think he can reach 2015 Draymond Green level, and I dont think it out of the question that he could surpass that level, but I do not think it is by any means a given that he reaches that level.

That being said I like the deal for Charlotte.

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
MKG isn't a guy you build around, but perimeter defenders like that with offensive upside . . . really nice piece to have.  No brainer for Charlotte to extend him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 12:09:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
MKG isn't a guy you build around, but perimeter defenders like that with offensive upside . . . really nice piece to have.  No brainer for Charlotte to extend him.

Pretty much how I see it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team