Author Topic: Anybody have a Kegerator ?  (Read 9812 times)

Re: Anybody have a Kegerator ?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Nastygansett! $5.50 for a sixer of tallboys. The best of the worst.
No longer nasty.  actually consider it the best 'national american' beer out there that's not considered a micro-brew.  (I still consider Sam Adams a micro-brewery although they're probably one of the biggest by now I'm sure)

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I got this one as a gift (it was run past me first, though):

http://www.amazon.com/EdgeStar-Full-Size-Kegerator-Cooler/dp/B0010ZC6G0

It's been pretty nice so far.  Description says it doesn't hold some kinds of macrobrew kegs, so it might not be compatible with your Busch Light, but I'll never find out for sure.

Thanks, this is one that I have been looking at.  What kinda kegs have you tried in this?

The issue with that one is that it does not last very long (roughly 2 years) and has no guarantee, my friends had it and when they called to see what could be done about it they were told that it was typical and could buy a new one.  Also it is smaller so you kind of have to tape the door shut if you put a half barrel in there and is loud. 

IF you want to expand your budget to $571 a friend of mine has this one and it is the best I have seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Versonel-VSL155TDSS-Freestanding-Kegerator-Dispenser/dp/B00MGVOI7C/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440516823&sr=1-1&keywords=kegerator
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Narragansett tastes wayyy too watery for me.  I'd consider Busch Light an upgrade.

The only cheap beer I can not hate drinking is Miller High Life (then again, I'm a huge fan of carbonation).

If you really have to go with the cheap stuff, I think you have to go with Olde English or another malt (though once you get into the high ABVs like Steel Reserve, they start to get pretty gross too).

I agree with the concept of a cheap keg if you tend to have a lot of company or parties.  No one ever seems to really question the brand or cheapness when it's coming to them straight out the kegerator.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Narragansett tastes wayyy too watery for me.  I'd consider Busch Light an upgrade.

The only cheap beer I can not hate drinking is Miller High Life (then again, I'm a huge fan of carbonation).

If you really have to go with the cheap stuff, I think you have to go with Olde English or another malt (though once you get into the high ABVs like Steel Reserve, they start to get pretty gross too).

I agree with the concept of a cheap keg if you tend to have a lot of company or parties.  No one ever seems to really question the brand or cheapness when it's coming to them straight out the kegerator.
have to admit, I think Busch Light is more watery than Narragansetts.  pretty much all national beers like Bud, Coors and Miller seem more watery tasting than Gansetts.  Maybe just my native RI tastes coming out (although sadly Gansett isn't brewed there now)>

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 08:54:24 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

have to admit, I think Busch Light is more watery than Narragansetts.  pretty much all national beers like Bud, Coors and Miller seem more watery tasting than Gansetts.  Maybe just my native RI tastes coming out (although sadly Gansett isn't brewed there now)>

I agree that Narragansett is the better beer, but I haven't been able to find it in a half keg, any suggestions of where?

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 10:59:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I agree that Narragansett is the better beer, but I haven't been able to find it in a half keg, any suggestions of where?
TBH, I haven't looked for it in a half keg but I'll ask around.  no guarantee they make it but if I find any, I'll let you know

EDIT
apparently they do make it
http://www.craftbeerkegsnh.com/kegs/Narragansett-One-Half-Barrel-Keg-nh.asp
I guess you just have to look up if someone near you sells it
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:10:18 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Ughhhh I went to URI and rented houses 3 out of my four years in Narragansett. That beer was so cheap especially at Bon Vue but I couldn't touch it even while being heavily intoxicated.

I had a kegerator and huge wooden bar for 2 years but it was passed down from my fraternity and was always breaking. If your gonna do it then do it right. "Buy once, cry once".

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

TBH, I haven't looked for it in a half keg but I'll ask around.  no guarantee they make it but if I find any, I'll let you know

EDIT
apparently they do make it
http://www.craftbeerkegsnh.com/kegs/Narragansett-One-Half-Barrel-Keg-nh.asp
I guess you just have to look up if someone near you sells it

TP for the info, I will make some calls and find one near me. 

I tried the Guinness Blonde American Lager last night (not in the keg), that is a great beer, anyone try that?

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No longer nasty.  actually consider it the best 'national american' beer out there that's not considered a micro-brew.  (I still consider Sam Adams a micro-brewery although they're probably one of the biggest by now I'm sure)

I like Gansett and PBR for cheap beer (in fact I have ye olde NG in my fridge right now), too. Hence 'the best of the worst.'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
My father has 2 kegerators.  He talks all the time about how cheap they are on craigslist from people who make them or are selling because of a move. 

http://providence.craigslist.org/for/5191497385.html
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
My father has 2 kegerators.  He talks all the time about how cheap they are on craigslist from people who make them or are selling because of a move. 

http://providence.craigslist.org/for/5191497385.html

That ad is precious.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Hey, so I am picking up a kegerator off craigslist on Friday.  Anybody know how long a 1/2 keg of bud light will last when pressurized by C02 and kept at an appropriate temp? 

Im trying to determine if I should get a half or quarter barrel

EDIT: just to confirm im not lazy I did google this but have seen differing answers
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:02:11 AM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hey, so I am picking up a kegerator off craigslist on Friday.  Anybody know how long a 1/2 keg of bud light will last when pressurized by C02 and kept at an appropriate temp? 

EDIT: just to confirm im not lazy I did google this but have seen differing answers

It will last a while, but I'd buy quarter-keg if I were you.

Well, actually I'd make my own beer and use Corny kegs (5 gal) but for what you want, I think the odds of you ending up wasting a significant amount of beer are way higher with a half-barrel keg (which if you think back to college parties, those are the regular kegs you'd get). That's like 170 beers. If you figure you have a healthy habit, 2-3 beers a night, plus figure friends account on Sundays for another 10-15 beers, you're talking about a month to go through a half-keg.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Well, actually I'd make my own beer and use Corny kegs (5 gal) but for what you want, I think the odds of you ending up wasting a significant amount of beer are way higher with a half-barrel keg (which if you think back to college parties, those are the regular kegs you'd get). That's like 170 beers. If you figure you have a healthy habit, 2-3 beers a night, plus figure friends account on Sundays for another 10-15 beers, you're talking about a month to go through a half-keg.

I was reading online that a keg can go up to 2 months in a kegerator when kept at temp with C02 pressure.  I just ordered my first keg, 1/2 barrel for 75 bucks for bud light The quarter barrel for budlight was 59.  I figured getting double the beer but risking losing some to waste for $16 bucks was worth it.  (If the keg does last 2 months)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I was reading online that a keg can go up to 2 months in a kegerator when kept at temp with C02 pressure.  I just ordered my first keg, 1/2 barrel for 75 bucks for bud light The quarter barrel for budlight was 59.  I figured getting double the beer but risking losing some to waste for $16 bucks was worth it.  (If the keg does last 2 months)

I don't think its a bad move during football season. Especially if you can host your friends. You won't waste much if any then (aside from spillage). But I would not target keeping that keg open and tapped for 2 months.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner