Author Topic: Trade idea..throw a ton of assets at the Pistons for Drum (and maybe Stan J)  (Read 6631 times)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd like to have Drummond but I think that's a really steep price to pay.  That's a Cousins-level offer who I see as much better player.

also, having said that, I don't see why Detroit considers trading him at all regardless of what we throw at them.  their game plan is plainly building around Drummond.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I lov Drum , but like Nerlins ..or Boogie , he'll break the bank to acquire.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd like to have Drummond but I think that's a really steep price to pay.  That's a Cousins-level offer who I see as much better player.

also, having said that, I don't see why Detroit considers trading him at all regardless of what we throw at them.  their game plan is plainly building around Drummond.
I admit this trade probably can't happen now unless they hit interesting snags during contract extension talks, but I think you should make the call and throw out ideas

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This shouldn't be too hard to work out in a trade because everybody is basically on a rookie contract.

But offer up Sully, KO, Rozier, RJ, James Young, possibly Jerebko (they worked with him before. Maybe they like him), the Dallas pick and ours next year, a couple 2nd rounders, a 2018 first, Crowder is on a good contract for a while. Maybe we take back a bad contract.

Immediately give Drum a large long contract

Pair Smart, Drum, and Bradley..and maybe Stanley Johnson....dominate defensively for a decade.

I'm gonna try to figure this out with the trade machine.
  You haven't answered the most important question: Why would the Pistons want to trade Drummond other than "it would be really nice for the Celtics if they did"? The cap is going to expand rapidly and their strategy is likely to be to build around Drummond rather than to send him packing for mediocre picks, rotation players, and unproven young prospects.
We all agree they need to (re)build. They have no draft pick this year and their team is horrid.  I don't think they have the ability to build around him for years. I think he will get unhappy and want to leave. The Celts can offer them a huge jump start on that process.

Teams that are building well...Bucks, Orlando, Celtics

Teams that aren't....Detroit, Philly, Brooklyn, probably the Knicks (jury sorta out on them)

They really aren't a horrid team though, and their rebuild is actually going quite well now after the Josh Smith experiment and Monroe are behind them.

Drummond has no choice in the matter. It's the same scenario as Jimmy Butler last year and Khris Middleton- if their teams want to keep them they have no choice.

Put yourself in their shoes.
If you had Drummond, Johnson and Reggie Jackson all locked up for 5 years, would you trade away your defensive anchor to try and draft another one?

There's just not good enough justification for the Pistons to pull the trigger other than we (Celtics) would really like to swap your franchise player for our picks and role players.

You could actually argue that their rebuild is now currently in better shape than ours:
*Franchise big man/defensive anchor locked up for 5 years
*Solid draft pick in Johnson
*Reggie Jackson locked up for 5 years
*All their own draft picks
*tonne of capspace

If we didn't have those Brooklyn picks we'd be jealous of them.
I do agree that they were going through a pretty rough rebuild, but now that Smit+Monroe are gone they have a nice young core to build around.
Do we have any players as promising as Drummond+Jackson?
Maybe Marcus Smart?
You also have to put yourself in Drum's shoes. Your team is horrid, and will be for the foreseeable future. Supposedly the 2nd best player on your team is Reggie Jackson. Third is Brandon Jennings (unless you are buying Stanley Johnson, which I absolutely am). KCP is nothing special and neither is Meeks or Ersan.
You're not going to the playoffs.....again.

We are way way way ahead of them with our rebuild.
We don't have the franchise player yet, but we have way way more depth. We have all the cap room they have, a far better coach, a better fan base, and a ton of draft picks.

Do people really see Reggie Jackson as some great player? Like Reggie Jackson is some all star or something? He's a solid player, but I'm not sure I see him over IT.  Or a lot of the other starters at his position in the East.

You keep saying Drummond will want out. How do we know that?
The fact is that if the Pistons want to keep Drummond, they will be able to.
It does not matter what he wants- they will keep him and pay him whatever it costs.

Reggie Jackson and Drummond are better than anyone on our team.

You obviously thought that Drummond was coming up to become an unrestricted free agent and you made this topic based on that premise.
You don't have to argue with everyone just for arguments sake. I've mistakenly done the same thing with other players thinking they were becoming unrestricted free agents. It seems like Drummond's been in the league forever lol.

At the end of the day if you were Van Gundy, would you trade Drummond for some of our picks and some role players?
Yes I thought he was nearing the end of his deal, and would be an UFA, and that definitely matters, but it doesn't completely change the situation. I still believe that most players in this league don't want to play for horrid teams indefinitely. I still believe that after their best player we have at least 3 assets better than their next best guy (or maybe as good at worst). And I still believe we have a far better coach. I think it's entirely likely that at some point Drum's agent says to him "This happened before with Van Gundy when he had D Howard and Vince Carter in Orlando. I will never be able to get you good endorsements like this".

If I was Van Gundy I would probably be hoping for the best but planning for the worst. It behooves Van Gundy to see what he can do about jump starting his rebuild and it also is a good time to make a trade like this....when he has leverage because his guy is young and wants to resign, and when other teams have less leverage because Sully is fat, and Smart hasn't totally emerged yet.

If you're the Celts you don't want to be the last team on the train regarding Drum. You want to be the first. How do we know the Pistons just hang up? They've made horrid decisions before. Why are they all of a sudden geniuses for holding their cards now? Shouldn't they have some sort of idea what the market will bear for their best asset?

Well the reason they won't make the same blunders is because Van Gundy is the general manager- like Doc in LA.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Good one!

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Smoke another one brother!

Re: Trade idea..throw a ton of assets at the Pistons for Drum (and maybe Stan J)
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Smoke another one brother!
Neither are leaving this year. Pistons on the way up.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Re: Trade idea..throw a ton of assets at the Pistons for Drum (and maybe Stan J)
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well if Drummond is an RFA, we could always offer sheet him, but then Detroit would probably match.  I guess it would be better to go after Cousins if we are going to trade the farm, since Cousins is better offensively.

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 12:15:18 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Detroit sees Drummond as their franchise player, so I don't see them trading him for anything less than a star.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
There is already talk of Pistons willing to do a max extension. Drummond isn't going any where.

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 03:11:11 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This shouldn't be too hard to work out in a trade because everybody is basically on a rookie contract.

But offer up Sully, KO, Rozier, RJ, James Young, possibly Jerebko (they worked with him before. Maybe they like him), the Dallas pick and ours next year, a couple 2nd rounders, a 2018 first, Crowder is on a good contract for a while. Maybe we take back a bad contract.

Immediately give Drum a large long contract

Pair Smart, Drum, and Bradley..and maybe Stanley Johnson....dominate defensively for a decade.

I'm gonna try to figure this out with the trade machine.

IMHO that's way too much to give up for Drummond.   

Also one of the biggest limitations with this team is lack of outside shooting - not the type of team you want put around a guy like Drummond, who has no game at all (offensive or defensive) outside of 5 feet.

I'd much rather try for Nerlens Noel.  He's likely available much cheaper and still has some rookie contact left, so you could afford to get him AND add shooters around him.

Drummond would require nothing less than a max contract to re-sign and I'm not sure he's worth one, at least not yet.