Author Topic: Trade idea..throw a ton of assets at the Pistons for Drum (and maybe Stan J)  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This shouldn't be too hard to work out in a trade because everybody is basically on a rookie contract.

But offer up Sully, KO, Rozier, RJ, James Young, possibly Jerebko (they worked with him before. Maybe they like him), the Dallas pick and ours next year, a couple 2nd rounders, a 2018 first, Crowder is on a good contract for a while. Maybe we take back a bad contract.

Immediately give Drum a large long contract

Pair Smart, Drum, and Bradley..and maybe Stanley Johnson....dominate defensively for a decade.

I'm gonna try to figure this out with the trade machine.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I'd love it. But for detroit to even consider it, i think the brooklyn picks would have to be involved as well. And maybe smart
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'd love it. But for detroit to even consider it, i think the brooklyn picks would have to be involved as well. And maybe smart
If you think Rozier can be a Smart then maybe you offer Smart, but (and I should have said this) part of the concept relies on the part where Detroit will have a very hard time getting Drum to come back to Detroit (I hope).

I don't think we need (or should) send multiple high lotto picks for him.

I think we need those high picks to build around Drum. If we get Drum and nothing to be around him we just become them.

Although I admit with our other picks we could probably do ok.  Sully or Amir next to Drum could be pretty good and IT and Rozier could probably hold down the fort. And we would get reinforcements from other draft picks.

They have Brandon Jennings so I'm not sure how bad they need Smart

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'll say this and you'll get five of the same replies...
Would absolutely love Drummond, and I would give up pretty much anything for him.
But in every realistic scenario they'd just never do it.

Why?
The Pistons are in the 'win as much as possible with a young team' period of their rebuild. Kind of like we are this year. Van Gundy is the boss there and he's building around Drummond, Johnson and Jackson. swapping Drummond for some picks and role players just sets them back another 3-4 years.

In all seriousness Drummond is almost untouchable and they wouldn't even pick up the phone for anything we have. Actually you could offer them the Brooklyn picks+Dallas picks+Marcus Smart and they'd still probably hang up.

Franchises spend five years trying to get a player like Drummond and now they've finally gotten rid of Monroe and Smith, the build around him has begun. He's the closest thing they've got to a franchise cornerstone and unless they get a cornerstone back, they aren't talking to us.

Like you though, I would kill for him on the defensive end.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Would absolutely love Drummond, and I would give up pretty much anything for him.

Why?
The Pistons are in the 'win as much as possible with a young team' period of their rebuild. Kind of like we are this year. Van Gundy is the boss there and he's building around Drummond, Johnson and Jackson. swapping Drummond for some picks and role players just sets them back another 3-4 years.

In all seriousness Drummond is almost untouchable and they wouldn't even pick up the phone for anything we have. Actually you could offer them the Brooklyn picks+Dallas picks+Marcus Smart and they'd still probably hang up.

Franchises spend five years trying to get a player like Drummond and now they've finally gotten rid of Monroe and Smith, the build around him has begun. He's the closest thing they've got to a franchise cornerstone and unless they get a cornerstone back, they aren't talking to us.

Then they'll just lose him in free agency. The Pistons are horrid. I don't think he's going to waste his career there. They have one year before the Miamis and the Lakers and the Knicks and Dallas and the Bulls etc all come calling. Shoe companies will say "Go to a winning team and we can get you one of those $200 mill contracts that guys like Harden and Durant got"   

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Why?

Then they'll just lose him in free agency. The Pistons are horrid. I don't think he's going to waste his career there. They have one year before the Miamis and the Lakers and the Knicks and Dallas and the Bulls etc all come calling. Shoe companies will say "Go to a winning team and we can get you one of those $200 mill contracts that guys like Harden and Durant got"

He won't leave because he's a restricted free agent. The Pistons will match all max offers on him and that's why Van Gundy is building around him (because he's got at least 5 more years with him including this season).
As for the Pistons, I don't think they're horrid, and they could well post a winning season this year. There's a topic on RealGM about this if you're interested...

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1404363&p=44567960#p44567960

But I dunno if it's fair to say they're horrid.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I have to disagree. I think if you're Drum you look around and say "Reggie Jackson? Really? Reggie? And Brandon Jennings? That's what I'm supposed to win with? Oh look. Now I have Ersan Illyasova too. Great. Just great."

Has he ever had a winning season? I don't think he has.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I see he's an RFA (which i find remarkable that he had to play on a rookie contract for 4 years and then still isn't an UFA), but then he could just sign a one year deal with another team, right? Or they have to offer him 3 years minimum or something?

If I'm him and that's the deal I'm holding out. I'd sit out the maximum number of games where you can still get vesting towards the pension, sorta like what Asante Samuels did to the Patriots.

Unless I just want to stay in Detroit, which I would be surprised about.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I see he's an RFA (which i find remarkable that he had to play on a rookie contract for 4 years and then still isn't an UFA), but then he could just sign a one year deal with another team, right? Or they have to offer him 3 years minimum or something?

If I'm him and that's the deal I'm holding out. I'd sit out the maximum number of games where you can still get vesting towards the pension, sorta like what Asante Samuels did to the Patriots.

Unless I just want to stay in Detroit, which I would be surprised about.
wow. Time flies. I totally forgot he's in the same class as sully

Gonna be his fourth year. Dang
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This shouldn't be too hard to work out in a trade because everybody is basically on a rookie contract.

But offer up Sully, KO, Rozier, RJ, James Young, possibly Jerebko (they worked with him before. Maybe they like him), the Dallas pick and ours next year, a couple 2nd rounders, a 2018 first, Crowder is on a good contract for a while. Maybe we take back a bad contract.

Pair Smart, Drum, and Bradley..and maybe Stanley Johnson....dominate defensively for a decade.

You haven't answered the most important question: Why would the Pistons want to trade Drummond other than "it would be really nice for the Celtics if they did"? The cap is going to expand rapidly and their strategy is likely to be to build around Drummond rather than to send him packing for mediocre picks, rotation players, and unproven young prospects.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:51:21 AM by Irish Stew »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You haven't answered the most important question: Why would the Pistons want to trade Drummond other than "it would be really nice for the Celtics if they did"? The cap is going to expand rapidly and their strategy is likely to be to build around Drummond rather than to send him packing for mediocre picks, rotation players, and unproven young prospects.
We all agree they need to (re)build. They have no draft pick this year and their team is horrid.  I don't think they have the ability to build around him for years. I think he will get unhappy and want to leave. The Celts can offer them a huge jump start on that process.

Teams that are building well...Bucks, Orlando, Celtics

Teams that aren't....Detroit, Philly, Brooklyn, probably the Knicks (jury sorta out on them)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:09:34 AM by eja117 »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

We all agree they need to (re)build. They have no draft pick this year and their team is horrid.  I don't think they have the ability to build around him for years. I think he will get unhappy and want to leave. The Celts can offer them a huge jump start on that process.
  They had both Drummond and Monroe and that duo did not work at all. They let Monroe walk rather than trade Drummond which would suggest that he is the anchor around whom they will rebuild.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The Pistons have all their 1st round picks including 2916.  They just drafted Johnson who looked very good in summer league.  I think they overpaid for Jackson but he's a solid young player.  They'll have plenty of cap space next off season. 

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I have to disagree. I think if you're Drum you look around and say "Reggie Jackson? Really? Reggie? And Brandon Jennings? That's what I'm supposed to win with?"

Considering that the Jackson-Drummond pairing was extremely effective when Monroe was out with injury, yes, that is exactly who he's supposed to win with. And can win with.

7-4 record in the span Monroe was out, which extrapolates to about a 52-win rate over the course of a season.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Pistons aren't trading Drummond.  Not for our pile of junk.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain