Author Topic: It's going to be a fight to make playoffs this year....  (Read 19276 times)

Re: It's going to be a fight to make playoffs this year....
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If we were all being honest, I think the vast majority of us would swap rosters with the Bucks in an instant.

That team has made some smart moves and also had the good fortune to get the #2 pick in a two player draft.  They are further along in their rebuild because they've got a handful of core pieces with star potential already identified.

It's OK to admit they're better off than the Celtics.  Doesn't make you a bad fan.

The only person I see with star potential is Jabari Parker. I think the frustration is that people often overrate other teams while downplaying the Celtics.

I would definitely add Giannis to that category. 
I wouldn't.  only shown flashes so far.  what seems to entice people into thinking he has so much potential is his athleticism.  take more than being an athlete to be a star in the league.  the history of the NBA is loaded with athletes that couldn't cut it.

The reason Giannis is special is his age. He's 20 years old.
His athleticism combined with his length/size mean he's a very efficient scorer anywhere in the paint. He's also got a very high bball IQ for a 20 year old player (kinda like Marcus Smart's IQ- just sees things before they happen/anticipation wise).
Giannis mission now is to get his 3 point % up over 30% and into 35%. He only takes one 3pt shot every two games, but obviously they'd want him to get up to the 4 shots/35% range.

If he does that, he'll get a max deal, become a 22-25ppg scorer and likely All Star.

12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists for a 20 year old with no college experience whilst shooting 51% from the field is very promising especially when you consider he's basically doubled his stats from his rookie season getting 8 more minutes a game.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:34 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If we were all being honest, I think the vast majority of us would swap rosters with the Bucks in an instant.

That team has made some smart moves and also had the good fortune to get the #2 pick in a two player draft.  They are further along in their rebuild because they've got a handful of core pieces with star potential already identified.

It's OK to admit they're better off than the Celtics.  Doesn't make you a bad fan.

The only person I see with star potential is Jabari Parker. I think the frustration is that people often overrate other teams while downplaying the Celtics.

I wouldn't.  only shown flashes so far.  what seems to entice people into thinking he has so much potential is his athleticism.  take more than being an athlete to be a star in the league.  the history of the NBA is loaded with athletes that couldn't cut it.

His athleticism combined with his length/size mean he's a very efficient scorer anywhere in the paint. He's also got a very high bball IQ for a 20 year old player (kinda like Marcus Smart's IQ- just sees things before they happen/anticipation wise).
Giannis mission now is to get his 3 point % up over 30% and into 35%. He only takes one 3pt shot every two games, but obviously they'd want him to get up to the 4 shots/35% range.

If he does that, he'll get a max deal, become a 22-25ppg scorer and likely All Star.

12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists for a 20 year old with no college experience whilst shooting 51% from the field is very promising especially when you consider he's basically doubled his stats from his rookie season getting 8 more minutes a game.
I agree with Phosita. There is no shame in saying you would want to switch places with another rebuilding team. IMO the T-Wolves have been overlooked and have 3 possible stars in the making and at the right positions. Also Lavine, Wiggins, and Towns can play/defend more than 1 position and can score late in the game/ clutch.

It is going to be a fight to make the playoffs this year, so the best course of action is to be in the lottery(top 5). The other teams that will be fighting to make and last in the playoffs will need our core of role players(ET IT AB KO Zeller) and we can get back 2017 picks and good prospects(would still love Myles Turner). OBV we may not get 100 cents on the dollar for our players we trade, but its time we stick to a plan that has a championship/multiple championships in the future....instead of sacrificing what we want in the long term for immediate satisfaction.

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I agree with Phosita. There is no shame in saying you would want to switch places with another rebuilding team. IMO the T-Wolves have been overlooked and have 3 possible stars in the making and at the right positions. Also Lavine, Wiggins, and Towns can play/defend more than 1 position and can score late in the game/ clutch.

It is going to be a fight to make the playoffs this year, so the best course of action is to be in the lottery(top 5). The other teams that will be fighting to make and last in the playoffs will need our core of role players(ET IT AB KO Zeller) and we can get back 2017 picks and good prospects(would still love Myles Turner). OBV we may not get 100 cents on the dollar for our players we trade, but its time we stick to a plan that has a championship/multiple championships in the future....instead of sacrificing what we want in the long term for immediate satisfaction.

The Brooklyn Nets have a much better shot at getting us a top five pick in the upcoming draft than the Celtics themselves.

The Celtics aren't tanking.  You should get used to that.  I prefer the plan of improving the team, the attitude, the culture of winning, while relying on someone else to do the losing for us.

This has fun rebuild written all over it. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2015, 03:39:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

The Brooklyn Nets have a much better shot at getting us a top five pick in the upcoming draft than the Celtics themselves.

The Celtics aren't tanking.  You should get used to that.  I prefer the plan of improving the team, the attitude, the culture of winning, while relying on someone else to do the losing for us.

This has fun rebuild written all over it.

I get where you're coming from and I'm more appreciative of a rebuild over a tank this season (although I still dont know where we are going to get two top 10 players from, let alone one). I was severely disappointed in how our season ended up last year with such a great opportunity to get another top 5 or 6 pick.

But you're right, there will definitely be no tank this year.
I just say be very weary of anything such as a 'fun rebuild'. They are usually fun for the first 3 or 4 years and then when you start lurking into perpetual mediocrity and tear it all down again to start another rebuild, we'll be pulling our hair out.
It just really sucks that we couldn't get Justise Winslow-he was one of those opportunities that rarely comes around at draft
pick #9.

Danny's best shot to land us a superstar talent may still be via the draft and we've got to pray that Brook Lopez goes down for the season. Just getting a pick in the top 5 in one of the next 3 drafts with Nets picks may just be our most realistic option.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2015, 04:35:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
you can then root for the Bucks. 

And it's up to you.  If you think the Bucks are better that is fine. Realistically they are not alot better like some people make them out to be. 

"The only guy of our young core who shows that he might have some upside to be a special player in this league is Smart, and that's it."

So what about IT, PJ3, Rozier, Mickey, Hunter . Mediocre talent right? And you don't know if the 1st year guys will play or not. CBS plays you if you can help the team   

Btw these guys are "special" or have the potential right?

Giannis = can't shoot
Parker = poor defender
MCW = poor shooter and mediocre defender
Monroe = mediocre defender. Poor shooter. Not very good pnr defender

Am I the only one here who would do a IT4+PJ3+Rozier+Mickey+Hunter for Jabari trade in a heartbeat?  ;D
Include Marcus Smart and a couple unprotected 1sts and you might get their attention.

Remove Thomas from your above offer and you have just enough to get Jabari Brown.

His point is Milwaukee has a better young core than the Celtics do with Parker alone. Include Monroe, Middleton and Greek Freek and there's no comparison at all.

Oh wait, I'm being "unrealistic", aren't I?

Yeah, thanks for clarifying. My point wasn't to "make contracts work" or say whether it would be realistic or not. My point was to show how stark the comparison is. Saying our guys are something special and then in the same breath, say that the Bucks players are "special" complete with dripping sarcasm is pretty off-base.

- LilRip

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2015, 05:26:51 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Another thread hijacked. How has the long-term potential of the Bucks roster anything to do with the relative short-term target of making the playoffs? At least this time it is the Bucks and not another Philly discussion.

To the OP - it will make for a great season! Every game will count more! With how top heavy the conference is, the Cs would like to avoid 7th or 8th seed to avoid Cleveland in the first round, so sweeping the tankers will be necessary.

The majority of our rotation is 26 or younger. We can realistically expect quite some internal growth ON OUR OWN ROSTER. To me, that is fun squared.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2015, 08:16:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

If you ask me its not just his athleticism but his versatility, ball-handling, and defensive instincts that are very impressive. That to me is why I think he's going to be a star.

Tracy McGrady didn't put it all together until his 4th year and his 3 pt shooting was also really bad early on. I expect Giannis to follow a similar path. This year I don't expect him to play at an all-star level but will take another step forward, but the year after that, I think he'll start reaching his full potential.
I don't disagree that he's versatile, but so is KO for that matter.  so far, KO does things a bit better than Giannis on offense.  Giannis has him on D.

He's a good prospect at this point.  He's not a superstar or a superstar-in-waiting (yet) but he's looking like he'll be a solid player if nothing else.

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Knicks are my wildcard playoff prediction.   Up until recently, Melo was able to sleepwalk into the playoffs.

You also said Nets could win 50 games. Can we get these updated bizarro standings? I don't think the Knicks will be as awful as last year. Playing players like Affalo and Lopez over what they played last year is a huge huge upgrade. However, their bench is still completely horrible and even a 20 wins improvement would leave them outside the playoffs looking in.

Oh, the Nets will win 50 games. 25 this year, 25 next.

Mike
good one - TP

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
there's a topic on RealGM about general RealGMer's thoughts on who'll make the playoffs in the East...

Interesting to see other NBA fans perspectives....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1405387#start_here

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
there's a topic on RealGM about general RealGMer's thoughts on who'll make the playoffs in the East...

Interesting to see other NBA fans perspectives....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1405387#start_here
went through the first 7 pages of that link.

Basically, C's start out with a minimal respect in the sense they'd make the playoffs as a lower seed but comments rapidly revealed a lower opinion of the C's with both them and Brooklyn dropping out of the playoffs for Miami and usually Detroit (with some other mentions of Indy, NY and Orlando).  Some mentions of the C's fighting it out for that last seed with other the other teams mentioned.

Overall, the post-first-page assessments tend to mirror what I've been mentioning in other threads that the C's will be in a chase for that last spot and will likely lose out in the end. 

Can't wait until the season starts to either find out my assessment of the team is right or that I'm wrong and the team exceeds my expectations --  a win/win for me personally.

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
History tells us the better bet for sustained success is the team that has superior talent, rather than the team stuffed with role players.

The Celts may very well have a better overall record this upcoming season than last season, and get an even higher seed in the playoffs.

Still, you can't entirely blame people for doubting a Celtics team whose best players are Isaiah Thomas, David Lee, and Amir Johnson, none of whom is anywhere close to being an All-Star.

I believe the Celts will be in the mix, and I think they are more likely to make the playoffs than to miss it, especially since the interchangeable nature of the guys in their rotation safeguards against injury problems.  Nevertheless, I don't think you can reasonably deny that the Pacers, Heat, and Pistons feature superior top end talent.  Those teams will be in the hunt, too.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
History tells us the better bet for sustained success is the team that has superior talent, rather than the team stuffed with role players.

The Celts may very well have a better overall record this upcoming season than last season, and get an even higher seed in the playoffs.

Still, you can't entirely blame people for doubting a Celtics team whose best players are Isaiah Thomas, David Lee, and Amir Johnson, none of whom is anywhere close to being an All-Star.

I believe the Celts will be in the mix, and I think they are more likely to make the playoffs than to miss it, especially since the interchangeable nature of the guys in their rotation safeguards against injury problems.  Nevertheless, I don't think you can reasonably deny that the Pacers, Heat, and Pistons feature superior top end talent.  Those teams will be in the hunt, too.

these are the team I have that are either locks in the East or fighting for the 7th, 8th spot

in no particular order

Cleveland, Pacers, Chicago, Bucks, Washington, Toronto, Heat, Atlanta...these are the team that I think are significantly better than us.

From this, I have BKN out of the playoff race. Realistically, we will be battling like last year. Toronto might drop off a bit imo, and probably Atlanta as well, also my opinion...Washington really depends if they can build on last year's success and the maturity of Wall and Beal.

Like last year, I have us between 7th and 10th spot

« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2015, 01:09:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
As a collective, Celticsblog has been pretty spot on with these predictions.

The biggest surprise in the East is probably how poor the Bucks are...and quite a few CBers noted how poor they'd be with MCW at point over Brandon Knight.

« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2015, 02:32:39 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
As a collective, Celticsblog has been pretty spot on with these predictions.

The biggest surprise in the East is probably how poor the Bucks are...and quite a few CBers noted how poor they'd be with MCW at point over Brandon Knight.

I think some of the teams eventually cool off, such as the Hornets and Pacers have been recently.

I also don't think Detroit or Orlando are teams that will keep up with their records either. However, I still think it's going to be  a dogfight among us, Chicago, Indy, Orlando, Detroit, and Washington for the last four spots behind Cleveland, Toronto, Miami, and Atlanta, though I still think Miami and Atlanta are closer to our tier than they are to Cleveland's tier. I think Charlotte and Milwaukee will both be outside of the playoffs as fringe contenders most of the season.

This year's Eastern Conference playoffs should be fun, because outside of the 1-8 series, they all have serious upset potential. There won't be much separating the 2 seed from the 8 seed this year.

I see the playoffs as something like this (barring any major injuries or trades):
1. Cleveland
2. Toronto
3. Atlanta
4. Indy
5. Miami (Health will be the biggest factor with them.)
6. Boston
7. Chicago (I see them fumbling their way through the season with a new coach/system.)
8. Detroit/Washington/Orlando (I know it's a cop-out, but it's still early.)

An Atlanta/Boston series would be really fun, and I bet it at least goes 6 or 7. We matchup pretty well with them, and as long as we're close to fully healthy (especially Smart), I say it's a 50/50 toss-up.

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2015, 02:38:54 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Atlanta has a lot more playoff experience.   I think that'd be a competitive 5 game series.  Actually competitive, not like the Cleveland series last year. But a 5 gamer nonetheless.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain