Author Topic: It's going to be a fight to make playoffs this year....  (Read 19260 times)

Re: It's going to be a fight to make playoffs this year....
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we got better but so did other teams.   I have thought it was going to be a fight all along because I think we are a team of bench players with one or two exceptions.

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Knicks are my wildcard playoff prediction.   Up until recently, Melo was able to sleepwalk into the playoffs. 

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
you can then root for the Bucks. 

And it's up to you.  If you think the Bucks are better that is fine. Realistically they are not alot better like some people make them out to be. 

"The only guy of our young core who shows that he might have some upside to be a special player in this league is Smart, and that's it."

So what about IT, PJ3, Rozier, Mickey, Hunter . Mediocre talent right? And you don't know if the 1st year guys will play or not. CBS plays you if you can help the team   

Btw these guys are "special" or have the potential right?

Giannis = can't shoot
Parker = poor defender
MCW = poor shooter and mediocre defender
Monroe = mediocre defender. Poor shooter. Not very good pnr defender

Am I the only one here who would do a IT4+PJ3+Rozier+Mickey+Hunter for Jabari trade in a heartbeat?  ;D
Include Marcus Smart and a couple unprotected 1sts and you might get their attention.

Remove Thomas from your above offer and you have just enough to get Jabari Brown.

His point is Milwaukee has a better young core than the Celtics do with Parker alone. Include Monroe, Middleton and Greek Freek and there's no comparison at all.

Oh wait, I'm being "unrealistic", aren't I?

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Knicks are my wildcard playoff prediction.   Up until recently, Melo was able to sleepwalk into the playoffs.

That is a bold prediction.  Even with a healthy Melo, that team just looks like it is seriously lacking in talent.

Calderon, Afflalo, Porzingis (too young), and Robin Lopez rounding out the starting lineup?

Not buying playoffs for the Knicks this year.

I have them as one of the true long shots in the East along with Philadelphia, Brooklyn, Charlotte, and Detroit. 

Cleveland, Atlanta, Washington, and Chicago seem like sure fire bets to  be in barring catastrophe.

I have Miami, Indiana, Milwaukee, Boston, Toronto, and Orlando fighting for spots five through eight. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
If we were all being honest, I think the vast majority of us would swap rosters with the Bucks in an instant.

That team has made some smart moves and also had the good fortune to get the #2 pick in a two player draft.  They are further along in their rebuild because they've got a handful of core pieces with star potential already identified.

It's OK to admit they're better off than the Celtics.  Doesn't make you a bad fan.

The only person I see with star potential is Jabari Parker. I think the frustration is that people often overrate other teams while downplaying the Celtics.

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If we were all being honest, I think the vast majority of us would swap rosters with the Bucks in an instant.

That team has made some smart moves and also had the good fortune to get the #2 pick in a two player draft.  They are further along in their rebuild because they've got a handful of core pieces with star potential already identified.

It's OK to admit they're better off than the Celtics.  Doesn't make you a bad fan.

The only person I see with star potential is Jabari Parker. I think the frustration is that people often overrate other teams while downplaying the Celtics.

I would definitely add Giannis to that category. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Me too. And while I wouldn't categorize him as a "star," I'd guess Monroe would have an outside chance of snagging Millsap's all-star game slot this year.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I wouldn't.  only shown flashes so far.  what seems to entice people into thinking he has so much potential is his athleticism.  take more than being an athlete to be a star in the league.  the history of the NBA is loaded with athletes that couldn't cut it.

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I wouldn't.  only shown flashes so far.  what seems to entice people into thinking he has so much potential is his athleticism.  take more than being an athlete to be a star in the league.  the history of the NBA is loaded with athletes that couldn't cut it.

But he is already putting up pretty solid numbers, it's not like this is a prediction based on per-36 numbers from limited minutes. His 3 pt % took a nasty hit this year, but he's not a bad shooter. He does a little of everything, and he's a very solid defender.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:02:50 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2015, 05:58:46 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

If you ask me its not just his athleticism but his versatility, ball-handling, and defensive instincts that are very impressive. That to me is why I think he's going to be a star.

Tracy McGrady didn't put it all together until his 4th year and his 3 pt shooting was also really bad early on. I expect Giannis to follow a similar path. This year I don't expect him to play at an all-star level but will take another step forward, but the year after that, I think he'll start reaching his full potential.

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Me too. And while I wouldn't categorize him as a "star," I'd guess Monroe would have an outside chance of snagging Millsap's all-star game slot this year.

Monroe could be in for a breakout year. He lived in Andre Drummond's shadow in Detroit and now he's in Milwaukee where he'll have a tad more spacing around him and probably a few more touches.

The reason why I like Middleton a lot is because he should be one of the league's better 3&D players for the next decade. He's along the Draymond Green lines of guy who may not be a star but what he brings to the table is invaluable to his team.

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2015, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think Jabari is a future star, Giannis has a good chance of becoming one, and Monroe is an All-Star caliber talent who is a proven, consistent productive big man.

I don't think the Celts have anybody who currently has the value of any of those three, though I believe Smart has a chance at being on a similar level to Monroe some day.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

You also said Nets could win 50 games. Can we get these updated bizarro standings? I don't think the Knicks will be as awful as last year. Playing players like Affalo and Lopez over what they played last year is a huge huge upgrade. However, their bench is still completely horrible and even a 20 wins improvement would leave them outside the playoffs looking in.

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2015, 09:03:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

You also said Nets could win 50 games. Can we get these updated bizarro standings? I don't think the Knicks will be as awful as last year. Playing players like Affalo and Lopez over what they played last year is a huge huge upgrade. However, their bench is still completely horrible and even a 20 wins improvement would leave them outside the playoffs looking in.

Oh, the Nets will win 50 games. 25 this year, 25 next.

Mike

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
possible they will make to the playoffs

but will be tuff after trading...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMc7gX6clgc