Author Topic: It's going to be a fight to make playoffs this year....  (Read 19214 times)

Re: It's going to be a fight to make playoffs this year....
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

whatever man. You keep underrating the Celts and overrate everyone else. I couldn't care less. Your an interesting fan.  Hassan Whiteside is that good eh?  that is the joke of the day. He still has alot to prove

You keep stating to take off my green goggles. But I think I'm more realistic than you.  It's ok, you will understand how good this Celts squad is once the season starts

::) Pal, I think you're confusing the word "realistic" with "optimistic".

There's nothing wrong with being excited for this years Celtics team, but don't try to downplay others opinions' just because they may not have as high expectations.

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 12:17:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

whatever man. You keep underrating the Celts and overrate everyone else. I couldn't care less. Your an interesting fan.  Hassan Whiteside is that good eh?  that is the joke of the day. He still has alot to prove

You keep stating to take off my green goggles. But I think I'm more realistic than you.  It's ok, you will understand how good this Celts squad is once the season starts

There's nothing wrong with being excited for this years Celtics team, but don't try to downplay others opinions' just because they may not have as high expectations.

thanks PAL.  heh

Just to say "bucks" area ahead (like 4th good while Celts are 8th good), when both Bucks are Celtics are close is mindboggling if you ask me

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 12:31:27 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
Bucks will win. They will make the playoffs. But to say they are 4th good while the Celts are 8th good is nonsense.  Celtics if they had the team in the 2nd half for the full year would of surpassed the Bucks in the standings. 

Bucks have a bunch of mediocre/poor defenders that will eat alot of min. Monroe, MCW, Parker. Mayo is on and off.   

Celtics are one of the better team D in the league.  With adding Amir, Rozier, Mickey the team just keeps getting stronger in the D department.

It's just a prediction that's all, and the reason why I made that prediction is because I firmly believe the Bucks are young and have a lot of potential that I think it will be tapped. It's not nonsense, it's just an educated guess. You want to disagree with me, fine, but could you atleast respect my opinion?

To me, the Bucks have more solid young studs who have potential to be better than the Celtics do. Giannis, Jabari, Middleton, and Monroe all are more proven and/or have more upside than any of our guys, and it's not even close. The only guy of our young core who shows that he might have some upside to be a special player in this league is Smart, and that's it.

The Celtics have one of the better team Ds in the league? You mean the one that gave up 101.2 pts a game which was good for 21st in the league? While the Bucks let up 97.4, which was good for 8th in the league? Not sure what game you are watching, but the Bucks were much closer to "better team D in the league" than the Celtics were by a pretty fair margin.

Rozier and Mickey are more than likely to NOT PLAY. They are rookies and the Celtics are going to count on their vets to play. Rozier has Smart, IT, Bradley, Turner, Young, and Hunter to compete with. Mickey has Lee, Amir, Sully, KO, Zeller, and Jerebko to share minutes with. They're not going to get much time. But I agree about Amir, he will definitely help.

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:03 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Why? Celts are at worse making 7th place

I expect to make 4th-5th

thanks for your input triboy. Great explanation and reasoning as usual.

Do you rely on all teams to get injuries to their key players?
Why do you list Bosh as an injury prone player? He had blood clots, not a torn ACL or broken ankle. Even without Wade, a core of

Dragic, Deng, Bosh, Whiteside is a far better core than ours.

Most of those teams listed had injuries to key players, all around the end of the regular season when we were fighting to make playoffs.
Wade and Bosh went down, and they only acquired Dragic at the trade deadline.

The Pistons started 5 wins 23 losses for the season. They then traded Josh Smith and became a top 5 offense and top 4 defense, clawing their way back to a 23-33 record. Then Jennings went down.

Charlotte- after a horrific start with Lance Stephenson there-were within 2 games of us, and then Kemba Walker went down. They've also added Batum on the wing next to MKG who is a serious upgrade over Gerald Henderson.
Their 5 will be Walker, MKG, Batum, Kaminsky, Al Jefferson.

The Bucks were better than us last year and added Monroe. Jabari Parker is also back.

At least try and give some kind of structured argument instead of blazing/ignoring through everyone's reasoning and giving 'triboy's way or the highway'.

eg why do you expect to make 4th or 5th?

Aren't ignoring the fact that the Celtics themselves when on a run in the 2nd half of the season posting one of the best defenses in the league.

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:43 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

thanks PAL.  heh

Just to say "bucks" area ahead (like 4th good while Celts are 8th good), when both Bucks are Celtics are close is mindboggling if you ask me

Case and point. By the way, good job with the proper English. "4th good"? I think the phrase you are looking for is 4th seed or 4th best. 4th good does not make any sense.

Yet again, it's just an opinion. You want to disagree with me? Fine. I guess we'll have to watch and find out. Just because you may think differently doesn't mean you're correct. Doesn't mean I am either, that's just my train of thought.

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 12:43:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bucks will win. They will make the playoffs. But to say they are 4th good while the Celts are 8th good is nonsense.  Celtics if they had the team in the 2nd half for the full year would of surpassed the Bucks in the standings. 

Bucks have a bunch of mediocre/poor defenders that will eat alot of min. Monroe, MCW, Parker. Mayo is on and off.   

Celtics are one of the better team D in the league.  With adding Amir, Rozier, Mickey the team just keeps getting stronger in the D department.

It's just a prediction that's all, and the reason why I made that prediction is because I firmly believe the Bucks are young and have a lot of potential that I think it will be tapped. It's not nonsense, it's just an educated guess. You want to disagree with me, fine, but could you atleast respect my opinion?

To me, the Bucks have more solid young studs who have potential to be better than the Celtics do. Giannis, Jabari, Middleton, and Monroe all are more proven and/or have more upside than any of our guys, and it's not even close. The only guy of our young core who shows that he might have some upside to be a special player in this league is Smart, and that's it.

The Celtics have one of the better team Ds in the league? You mean the one that gave up 101.2 pts a game which was good for 21st in the league? While the Bucks let up 97.4, which was good for 8th in the league? Not sure what game you are watching, but the Bucks were much closer to "better team D in the league" than the Celtics were by a pretty fair margin.

Rozier and Mickey are more than likely to NOT PLAY. They are rookies and the Celtics are going to count on their vets to play. Rozier has Smart, IT, Bradley, Turner, Young, and Hunter to compete with. Mickey has Lee, Amir, Sully, KO, Zeller, and Jerebko to share minutes with. They're not going to get much time. But I agree about Amir, he will definitely help.

you can then root for the Bucks. 

And it's up to you.  If you think the Bucks are better that is fine. Realistically they are not alot better like some people make them out to be. 

"The only guy of our young core who shows that he might have some upside to be a special player in this league is Smart, and that's it."

So what about IT, PJ3, Rozier, Mickey, Hunter . Mediocre talent right? And you don't know if the 1st year guys will play or not. CBS plays you if you can help the team   

Btw these guys are "special" or have the potential right?

Giannis = can't shoot
Parker = poor defender
MCW = poor shooter and mediocre defender
Monroe = mediocre defender. Poor shooter. Not very good pnr defender

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 02:40:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I expect to make 4th-5th

Why do you list Bosh as an injury prone player? He had blood clots, not a torn ACL or broken ankle. Even without Wade, a core of

Most of those teams listed had injuries to key players, all around the end of the regular season when we were fighting to make playoffs.

The Pistons started 5 wins 23 losses for the season. They then traded Josh Smith and became a top 5 offense and top 4 defense, clawing their way back to a 23-33 record. Then Jennings went down.

Charlotte- after a horrific start with Lance Stephenson there-were within 2 games of us, and then Kemba Walker went down. They've also added Batum on the wing nexTVt to MKG who is a serious upgrade over Gerald Henderson.

The Bucks were better than us last year and added Monroe. Jabari Parker is also back.

At least try and give some kind of structured argument instead of blazing/ignoring through everyone's reasoning and giving 'triboy's way or the highway'.

All I've said is that the 5 teams that will be in the playoffs (bar major injuries to stars) are Atlanta, Cleveland, Toronto, Chicago, Miami.
I said that those last 3 playoff spots are going to be a fierce battle between 5 or 6 teams that could be harder than we think.

You've come into this thread on a triboy rampage, calling everyone that thinks the Bucks and Miami serious threats to our playoff race
some kind of unloyal fan.

No one is saying we aren't going to make the playoffs, and I've said it's going to be more of a battle than we think.

Hassan Whiteside was very good for the Heat-do you watxh any other NBA than the Celtics? Danny Ainge would much rather have Hassan Whiteside than Amir Johnson or David Lee. Goran Dragic has joined the Heat. Chris Bosh's blood clots are fixed. They now have Dragic and Winslow to take the load off Wade and get him onto the playoffs healthy.
The Pistons have Drummond, Ilyasova, Johnson, Jennings,  Reggie Jackson and a solid bench.

The Bucks were hurt losing Knight, but they've got Monroe instead of Pachulia and Jabari Parker back. That's a very good team and you can't just write them off for a low playoff seed.

Please put the triboy machine gun away and try and have a good discussion without attacking everyone that disagrees with you.

Everyone else gives an opinion with some kind of reasoning.
triboy comes in and questions everyone without giving his own reasoning,  and then calls people bad fans when he doesn't agree or a valid point is raised.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 02:50:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

thanks PAL.  heh

Case and point. By the way, good job with the proper English. "4th good"? I think the phrase you are looking for is 4th seed or 4th best. 4th good does not make any sense.

Yet again, it's just an opinion. You want to disagree with me? Fine. I guess we'll have to watch and find out. Just because you may think differently doesn't mean you're correct. Doesn't mean I am either, that's just my train of thought.

Welcome to triboy's world.
*Where your opinion is acknowledged as long as you agree with him.
*Where you're an unloyal fan if you disagree with him
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2015, 03:01:58 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
you can then root for the Bucks.

You have misunderstood what I am trying to say. I am not trying to tear down your optimism about the Celtics. In fact, I applaud it, and, guess what? I hope you're right! I am simply defending myself after you deemed what I said about the Bucks to be nonsense, which in all fairness, was kind of rude.

And it's up to you.  If you think the Bucks are better that is fine. Realistically they are not alot better like some people make them out to be.

My prediction was based off what I think their potential could be. Never once did I say the words, "They're going to be a lot better" but that's not what sticks out to me. "Realistically"? Wow. There is a big difference between what is realistic and what is your opinion. Since we've had this debate I have not seen a lot of realism as much as I have seen optimism and why? Because I haven't seen a whole lot of facts come out of you. I've only seen opinion. See, in the word "realism", the word "real" is in it for a reason.

"The only guy of our young core who shows that he might have some upside to be a special player in this league is Smart, and that's it."

So what about IT, PJ3, Rozier, Mickey, Hunter . Mediocre talent right? And you don't know if the 1st year guys will play or not. CBS plays you if you can help the team

I didn't list IT because frankly, in my opinion (that is an opinion and may or may not be "realistic"), IT is our best player but he's a finished product. I don't expect him to play much better this season than he did last season. Don't get me wrong he's a great player, but he's our sixth man. One of the league's better role players as the scoring punch/energy guy off the bench, but not a franchise guy. I see Smart becoming the franchise guy some day.

But, Rozier, Hunter, and Mickey? Those are guys who you have deemed to be our young talent?  Based off of what? Unlike the Bucks players who I mentioned, they have not played a single NBA minute. Hence, why I'm holding my tongue about them. Do I want them to be good players? You bet I do, but I'm not going to hold them in such high regard until they actually prove something. and if you want to use summer league as evidence that the rookies are the future, let me ask you. Kedrick Brown and Joe Forte dazzled in summer league even more than our current rookies did. Did those guys turn out great? You tell me.

And PJIII, the guy who OKC included a second rounder in the deal to get him just to get him off their payroll, that is our deemed "future talent"? He's hardly done anything in the NBA. He had one three game stretch of good games and that was it. Never did it before. Never did it again. In fact he has a much more troubling flaw than any of the Bucks you listed: His motor. That is worse. Sully has proved a lot more than PJII has, and let's face it, we Celtics fans aren't the most keen on Sully right now, but I digress. I hope PJIII is a steal, but again, he has yet to verify any of my hopes.

Your thoughts of these 4 guys are not realistic, they are optimistic. Plain and simple. Not to mention, "I don't know if the 1st year players are going to play or not". Oh I'm sorry, do you? I'm simply saying they probably won't because they have NBA proven teammates who play the same position who have thrived in Brad's rotations, but if they beat those guys then GREAT! I just don't see it happening.

Also I can combat that with, "You don't know really what the Bucks players are capable of." Because you don't. Just as much as I don't. And you don't have a "realistic" opinion on the Bucks. You have a pessimistic opinion. That leads to my next point.

Btw these guys are "special" or have the potential right?

Giannis = can't shoot
Parker = poor defender
MCW = poor shooter and mediocre defender
Monroe = mediocre defender. Poor shooter. Not very good pnr defender

First off, I never listed MCW. Not once. In fact when he was brought up, I said he was up in the air, but their season does not hinge on him entirely. Read it again. Second off, just because I think these guys have potential to be great players does not mean they don't have flaws. Is there anyone in the NBA who is completely and utterly flawless? I don't think so. But, since they are young and figuring out who they are as players, they can always improve. That's the upshot of being young and talented. Your prime doesn't come until you reach your late 20s. Third, even if they have flaws, they've proven a lot more than 4 of the 5 guys you listed as the Celtics future talent. Don't believe me, look at their stats. Ask any Celtics fan who they would take between Giannis/Jabari/Monroe/Middleton (The guy who I was talking about) and IT/PJIII/Hunter/Rozier/Mickey and I firmly believe they'll take option number 1, and they wouldn't think twice, and why? Because the 4 of them have actually done something in the NBA

What we've been discussing is simply a matter of optimistic and pessimistic points of view, but you claim that you're opinion is "realistic". Claiming your opinion is realistic compared to mine and that my opinion is nonsense is quite an obnoxious, not to mention pretentious, thing to say my friend. Especially since you haven't had much basis to back it up outside of your biased observation. I'm not claiming mine is a realistic either. I'm simply making claims based off of what I've observed from these guys. We'll have to see this season.

Good day to you.

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 03:18:53 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I expect to make 4th-5th

Charlotte- after a horrific start with Lance Stephenson there-were within 2 games of us, and then Kemba Walker went down. They've also added Batum on the wing next to MKG who is a serious upgrade over Gerald Henderson.

I think that's a little unfair. If the analysts are consistently pegging us as the 8th seed and see the Milwaukee core as one of the top young cores in the league we're hardly over rating them.
I expect the C's to make a leap forward this year but the East contenders all got stronger so improving whilst finishing 6-8 is the most likely option. And also not a bad achievement! Our youth is a year behind Milwaukee IMO so it'll be 16/17 we make a bug jump forward I think.

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 03:26:36 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

I expect to make 4th-5th

Charlotte- after a horrific start with Lance Stephenson there-were within 2 games of us, and then Kemba Walker went down. They've also added Batum on the wing nexTVt to MKG who is a serious upgrade over Gerald Henderson.

Hassan Whiteside was very good for the Heat-do you watxh any other NBA than the Celtics? Danny Ainge would much rather have Hassan Whiteside than Amir Johnson or David Lee. Goran Dragic has joined the Heat. Chris Bosh's blood clots are fixed. They now have Dragic and Winslow to take the load off Wade and get him onto the playoffs healthy.

I'd much rather have Amir than Whiteside. Whiteside seemed like a guy that plays for stats and it showed as the season wore down.

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 03:29:00 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Quote from: eja117

Also....the Celtics aren't going to be the same Celtics this year. Marcus Smart isn't going to be the same rookie he was.

Fascinating that the Celtics are the only team in the conference afforded such optimism.

Where did he suggest that the Celtics can be only team that's optimistic?

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 03:31:30 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It should be a fight to get in but C's have a good chance to make it. I see the tiers as
Top of the East
Cavs, Heat

Upper level east teams
Bulls, Wizards, Hawks, Raptors

Middle level east teams
Bucks, C's, Magic

Bottom level east teams
Pacers, Knicks, Nets, Hornets

Fodder east teams
Pistons, Sixers

So C's should be better than magic and the lower tiered teams making them an 8 seed. If a team above them has any injuries they can leap those teams as well.

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 04:35:46 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I expect to make 4th-5th

I'd much rather have Amir than Whiteside. Whiteside seemed like a guy that plays for stats and it showed as the season wore down.

If you'd rather Amir then that's understandable - he's a reliable veteran and you know what you're getting.

Whiteside however is a far more valuable piece and a better player than Amir Johnson. (In my opinion )
Look at their per 36 numbers:
Johnson: 12.6 points 8.3 rebounds 1 block.
Whiteside: 17.8 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks and 1 less turnover per game. He runs the pick and roll better than Johnson and also protects the rim better than Johnson.
He's also 2 years younger than Johnson.

He's got some attitude issues but IMO he's clearly the better and more valuable player. I'm not sure why you think he chases stats but he's better than any big man we have.

I'm not sure triboy watches much NBA outside the Celtics because he seems to think we are better than the Heat and that Whiteside is a mediocre player...this is the same guy who a few days ago said the Rockets don't have the 'mental toughness' to get to the Western Conference Finals and that the Celtics had a better chance of making the Eastern Conference finals than the Rockets making the WCF. If you watched the NBA or even ESPN during the playoffs last season you'd see the irony in that statement

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:03:00 AM by chambers »

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 04:42:34 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I expect to make 4th-5th

x10. If healthy, MIA going to wreak havoc this year.

If you'd rather Amir then that's understandable - he's a reliable veteran and you know what you're getting.

Whiteside however is a far more valuable piece and a better player than Amir Johnson.
Look at their per 36 numbers:
Johnson: 12.6 points 8.3 rebounds 1 block.
Whiteside: 17.8 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks and 1 less turnover per game. He runs the pick and roll better than Johnson and also protects the rim better than Johnson.
He's also 2 years younger than Johnson.

He's got some attitude issues but IMO he's clearly the better and more valuable player. I'm not sure why you think he chases stats but he's better than any big man we have.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC