Author Topic: JR Smith officially back with Cavs  (Read 9880 times)

Re: JR Smith officially back with Cavs
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For all the Smith criticism -- and he's earned it -- he looked pretty darn good with the Cavs last year.  He makes them a better team.

He has? He was truly awful for them in the finals

Probably something to do with being asked to be the teams 2nd option while being guarded by Thompson. He was instrumental to Cavs success in the Bulls and Hawks series. If i remember correctly he avg 18ppg vs the hawks. Hit tons of momentum shifting 3s vs the Bulls. Thats all they will ever need him to do. He has shown he is more than capable of doing so

^ This...

For all the Smith criticism -- and he's earned it -- he looked pretty darn good with the Cavs last year.  He makes them a better team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-wZZlrMIp0

He was pretty lethal for them up until then. James Worthy was awful in the 84 finals. James Harden was awful in the 2012 finals. Heck we all know Ray Allen was awful in the 2010 finals (outside of game 2), and we know what Ray did for the Celtics. Smith's not on their level but point is we've seen plenty of great players who play a pivotal role for their team stink it up at the worst time.

^ ... and this.

He averaged 14 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.5 steals and shot 39% from 3PT with a stellar .555 eFG% with the Cavs.  That type of production is worth *way* more than $5 million per season. 

I don't care about the Finals.  Asking a 4th option floor-spacer to become a 2nd option shot creator is inevitably going to lead to some issues.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Probably something to do with being asked to be the teams 2nd option while being guarded by Thompson. He was instrumental to Cavs success in the Bulls and Hawks series. If i remember correctly he avg 18ppg vs the hawks. Hit tons of momentum shifting 3s vs the Bulls. Thats all they will ever need him to do. He has shown he is more than capable of doing so

The only time he was important was against an injury riddled Hawks team other than that, he was largely average.

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He was pretty lethal for them up until then. James Worthy was awful in the 84 finals. James Harden was awful in the 2012 finals. Heck we all know Ray Allen was awful in the 2010 finals (outside of game 2), and we know what Ray did for the Celtics. Smith's not on their level but point is we've seen plenty of great players who play a pivotal role for their team stink it up at the worst time.

Eh I didn't see it with him. If his shot isn't falling he's pretty much a liability.

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

With Love injured and Kyrie hobbled, I imagine Jr's 13ppg with 44% 3point shooting in the Bulls series was real important for the Cavs winning the series

The only time he was important was against an injury riddled Hawks team other than that, he was largely average.

With Love injured and Kyrie hobbled, Jr avg 13ppg with 44% 3point shooting in the Bulls series. I I imagine that production was a huge part of them winning that series

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2015, 10:59:36 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Eh I didn't see it with him. If his shot isn't falling he's pretty much a liability.

I think you're in for a surprise this season. The reason why he was better used in Cleveland was because he was the 4th option with Lebron, Irving, and Love. With those three back combined with Smith returning, the Cavs are going to have a lethal offense.

In the playoffs he went from being their 4th option to their 2nd. Hence the dip in stats when the defense focused more on him.

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2015, 11:49:18 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
For the fans who can't stand the guy his time of cashing in and getting a big contract by NBA standards may have pasted him by, thank goodness for that.
So at least there is some justice in the world ;)

Here is a list of the money the guy has forfeited over the last several years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/j.r.-smith/fines/