Author Topic: JR Smith officially back with Cavs  (Read 9875 times)

Re: JR Smith officially back with Cavs
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 03:25:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Is this a great move for either side? I feel like the Cavs would have been better off with Crawford as some bench offense in a trade with the Clips (not sure how it works salary wise). It seems like Crawford offers a lot of what Smith does and doesn't carry the risk of screwing up a game/playoff series.

J-Craw is 35 while Jr is 29

J-Craw needs the ball to be effective while Jr excels best when he spots up

J-Craw plays zero defense while Jr is capable of playing average to solid defense

Jr is a much better fit and it aint even close.

With Love said to be integrated into the offense more and Mosgov seemingly feeling more comfortable on offense, is Smith really going to be happy with the number of shots he gets?

Well he did just re-sign after becoming a FA so I'd imagine he is perfectly happy with his role.

oh god my favorite "not a cavs fan" returns with their completely unbiased and independent views on a random team

As always when some counters your points with common sense and logic, call him a Cavs fan. Would have thought you learnt from the Klove saga by now. Oh well ::) ::)

The thing is you only post about the cavs and it always undeniably pro-cavs. You post on no other team and then insult everyone's intelligence by claiming you are not a Cavs fan. That is the part that is annoying. I have tons of respect for some of the fans of other teams we have of other teams on here, particularly one's that can you give you a balanced view of the teams they support.

foulweatherfan and MJohnnyboy just talked about how this was a great move. Arent you going to accuse them of being pro-cavs?? I mean c'mon they actually had the audacity to engage their brains and come to an un-biased opinion.

Zubi... I don't how much simpler I can explain this to you. The two posters you mentioned comment on lots of other topics and threads and tons of stuff about Celtics. I respect their opinions and contributions to the blog.

Point of order - no one should respect my opinions, they're really bad.

too late buddy! tp

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Is this a great move for either side? I feel like the Cavs would have been better off with Crawford as some bench offense in a trade with the Clips (not sure how it works salary wise). It seems like Crawford offers a lot of what Smith does and doesn't carry the risk of screwing up a game/playoff series.

J-Craw is 35 while Jr is 29

J-Craw needs the ball to be effective while Jr excels best when he spots up

J-Craw plays zero defense while Jr is capable of playing average to solid defense

Jr is a much better fit and it aint even close.

With Love said to be integrated into the offense more and Mosgov seemingly feeling more comfortable on offense, is Smith really going to be happy with the number of shots he gets?

Well he did just re-sign after becoming a FA so I'd imagine he is perfectly happy with his role.

oh god my favorite "not a cavs fan" returns with their completely unbiased and independent views on a random team

As always when some counters your points with common sense and logic, call him a Cavs fan. Would have thought you learnt from the Klove saga by now. Oh well ::) ::)

The thing is you only post about the cavs and it always undeniably pro-cavs. You post on no other team and then insult everyone's intelligence by claiming you are not a Cavs fan. That is the part that is annoying. I have tons of respect for some of the fans of other teams we have of other teams on here, particularly one's that can you give you a balanced view of the teams they support.

foulweatherfan and MJohnnyboy just talked about how this was a great move. Arent you going to accuse them of being pro-cavs?? I mean c'mon they actually had the audacity to engage their brains and come to an un-biased opinion.

Zubi... I don't how much simpler I can explain this to you. The two posters you mentioned comment on lots of other topics and threads and tons of stuff about Celtics. I respect their opinions and contributions to the blog.

You on the other hand have only posted on Lebron, Kevin Love and Jr Smith threads and at that, in an extremely flattering pro-cavs manner while often taking on a very condescending attitude towards the Celtics posters. I was originally curious as to why you did this, and it would be fine if you just said you were a cavs fan and enjoyed talking about them (with some good natured trash talk mixed in). It got a bit annoying when you claimed you were not a fan of the Cavs and only hear to dispel the stupid celtics fans that thought Kevin Love would leave and then continued with your routine.

As always, you cant argue any points about the Jr/JCraw situation with facts or logic. Same way you couldnt do so with the Klove situation.

Ever think maybe I wouldnt come off as condescending to you if you were actually capable of presenting facts or sound logic to counter my points instead of just scream as loud as possible that I am a Cavs fan.

If the facts are on your side, pound the facts into the table. If the law is on your side, pound the law into the table. If neither the facts nor the law are on your side, pound the table.

One of the greatest quotes of all time! ;D ;D

Zubi don't confuse my reluctance to engage with you to mean your arguments are infallible. Your stances on previous Cleveland related  topics coupled with your posting history and entrenched claims that you don't like Cleveland make arguing you with you seem pretty pointless. Against my better judgement, I will respond to some of your points about why I think JR Smith COULD be a slightly worse fit for the Cavs than Jamal Crawford

1) Throughout his career he has complained about his role and shots multiple times. See some of the links I posted in my other post, however this has happened both in Denver and in New York and sometimes when he was on playoff bound times. I realized he was a perfectly good soldier in Cleveland, but it was also only for 5 months. I wouldn't completely rule out of him causing a problem over the course of the season.

2) He has a history of getting in altercations, fights and  receiving technical fouls in games. In fact, he has actually been suspended twice against the Celtics in the playoffs alone. A few years back he elbowed Jason Terry in the head in the first round series. The move probably costs the Knicks a game in the playoffs and gave the Celtics life when they really did not have any. Last year his move against Crowder could have been a lot more costly if it occurred against a worthier opponent. If he is doing that stuff in playoff games that are incredibly close the two points and a possession from a flagrant foul could easily swing a game. You could also envision a scenario where an altercation gets some of his teammates involved causing further damage to the club. This is not a non-existent factor.

3)  He was pretty much the only unrestricted free agent with any pedigree in the NBA for the last 4 or 5 weeks? The guys signing right now are undrafted types, very tail end of career guys like jason richardson and tayshaun prince or people with other issues (Javale MgHee). I think it is fair to raise the question of whether this was either Jr Smith or the Cavs settling for something one or both sides view as a marriage of convenience after Jr Smith could not find a more desirable role elsewhere (or more money) or the Cavs were unable to land someone they thought fit better (they briefly flirted with joe johnson).

4) I agree Crawford is a worse defender than Smith and is obviously older. I would also admit that he is a just a worse overall player. However, for what the Cavs need I think Crawford might fit in better as someone at the tail end of their career. I see a lot of risk with Smith coming back making less money than he opted out of in the middle of his career when he wont be able to put up very good stats or many shot attempts in what amounts to a contract year. I think we would be foolish to not acknowledge there are risks with Smith and for the amount of difference between what Crawford or Smith gives them as a 4th or 5th option my opinion is that it is not worth the risk.

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

As always, you cant argue any points about the Jr/JCraw situation with facts or logic. Same way you couldnt do so with the Klove situation.

Ever think maybe I wouldnt come off as condescending to you if you were actually capable of presenting facts or sound logic to counter my points instead of just scream as loud as possible that I am a Cavs fan.

If the facts are on your side, pound the facts into the table. If the law is on your side, pound the law into the table. If neither the facts nor the law are on your side, pound the table.

Zubi don't confuse my reluctance to engage with you to mean your arguments are infallible. Your stances on previous Cleveland related  topics coupled with your posting history and entrenched claims that you don't like Cleveland make arguing you with you seem pretty pointless. Against my better judgement, I will respond to some of your points about why I think JR Smith COULD be a slightly worse fit for the Cavs than Jamal Crawford

1) Throughout his career he has complained about his role and shots multiple times. See some of the links I posted in my other post, however this has happened both in Denver and in New York and sometimes when he was on playoff bound times. I realized he was a perfectly good soldier in Cleveland, but it was also only for 5 months. I wouldn't completely rule out of him causing a problem over the course of the season.

Evidence also shows that every time Jr has been on a good team with strong leadership, he has been an exemplary team mate. Eg Nuggets team in 09 and Knicks team in 2013. I think Cavs will take their chances

2) He has a history of getting in altercations, fights and  receiving technical fouls in games. In fact, he has actually been suspended twice against the Celtics in the playoffs alone. A few years back he elbowed Jason Terry in the head in the first round series. The move probably costs the Knicks a game in the playoffs and gave the Celtics life when they really did not have any. Last year his move against Crowder could have been a lot more costly if it occurred against a worthier opponent. If he is doing that stuff in playoff games that are incredibly close the two points and a possession from a flagrant foul could easily swing a game. You could also envision a scenario where an altercation gets some of his teammates involved causing further damage to the club. This is not a non-existent factor.

The Crowder incident was clearly frustration from the Klove and injury and being shoved in the back. He came back vs the Bulls and Hawks and was highly instrumental in Cavs winning those series. Again I am sure Cavs will take their chances with him

3)  He was pretty much the only unrestricted free agent with any pedigree in the NBA for the last 4 or 5 weeks? The guys signing right now are undrafted types, very tail end of career guys like jason richardson and tayshaun prince or people with other issues (Javale MgHee). I think it is fair to raise the question of whether this was either Jr Smith or the Cavs settling for something one or both sides view as a marriage of convenience after Jr Smith could not find a more desirable role elsewhere (or more money) or the Cavs were unable to land someone they thought fit better (they briefly flirted with joe johnson).

Cavs from the start of FA said they wanted Jr back. Jr said he wanted to be back. Even Lebron that every likes to claim is the Cavs GM wanted Jr back. The only thing to dispute was money. Jr was asking for more than Cavs were willing to give. They got to a comprise eventually. Not sure what the issue is

4) I agree Crawford is a worse defender than Smith and is obviously older. I would also admit that he is a just a worse overall player. However, for what the Cavs need I think Crawford might fit in better as someone at the tail end of their career. I see a lot of risk with Smith coming back making less money than he opted out of in the middle of his career when he wont be able to put up very good stats or many shot attempts in what amounts to a contract year. I think we would be foolish to not acknowledge there are risks with Smith and for the amount of difference between what Crawford or Smith gives them as a 4th or 5th option my opinion is that it is not worth the risk.

J-Craw excels with the ball in his hands. Cavs already have Lebron, Kyrie and Mo-Will as primary ball handlers. Not to talk of running the offense more through Klove at the elbow. How exactly is J-Craw going to get the ball to be effective with already so many ball dominant players on the team?? Then considering J-Craw awful defense and age it really is a no brainer re-signing Jr

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Evidence also shows that every time Jr has been on a good team with strong leadership, he has been an exemplary team mate. Eg Nuggets team in 09 and Knicks team in 2013. I think Cavs will take their chances

The Crowder incident was clearly frustration from the Klove and injury and being shoved in the back. He came back vs the Bulls and Hawks and was highly instrumental in Cavs winning those series. Again I am sure Cavs will take their chances with him

Cavs from the start of FA said they wanted Jr back. Jr said he wanted to be back. Even Lebron that every likes to claim is the Cavs GM wanted Jr back. The only thing to dispute was money. Jr was asking for more than Cavs were willing to give. They got to a comprise eventually. Not sure what the issue is

J-Craw excels with the ball in his hands. Cavs already have Lebron, Kyrie and Mo-Will as primary ball handlers. Not to talk of running the offense more through Klove at the elbow. How exactly is J-Craw going to get the ball to be effective with already so many ball dominant players on the team?? Then considering J-Craw awful defense and age it really is a no brainer re-signing Jr

Again you are showing why arguing or debating with you is an exercise in futility. You take the everything is completely sunshine approach that the Cavs do and can't acknowledge there are some legitimate risks associated with Jr Smith.

Unrestricted free agents with no baggage or issues don't stay on the market until the end of August and take paycuts in the middle of their career. He is in a minority of players that have been suspended multiple times from NBA playoff series for violence against an opponent (he may be the only active one). He also been suspended by the NBA for drugs, served jail time related to a car accident and been fined for repeatedly untying players sneakers.

Despite your excuse that he was mad, the fact that he got suspended from a playoff game from an already short handed team last season shows he has not grown out of his loose cannon ways. If I have a completely stacked team like the Cavs do and Smith, my opinion is that they are better off without Smith's history on and off the court, especially if they could get someone like Crawford that is probably 70% of the player. You can feel free to disagree, but it would make for a lot better discourse if you could at least acknowledge there is some risk involved and not downplay everything as being perfect.

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Guy has $20,000 million in talent, still only makes $5 million per year, even with the crazy cap increases, because he's a mental midget who never learned how to play team ball.

What a waste.

It's not even so much that he's never learned to play team ball as it is that he just has horrific decision making -- both on and off the court. He's very impulsive.

Isn't that kind of the same thing?  I understand you're saying it's his basic nature, less a matter of learning.  But the big problem is that he doesn't really know how to succeed on the court except doing his own thing regardless of his teammates.

He's like Kobe in that regard, only with Kobe I think it's been a calculated decision.

When I think of a guy who eschews all tenets of team ball, unabashed checkers like Jamal Crawford and Nick Young come to mind. More often than not, J.R. understands what he should be doing in the context of the whole team and even genuinely tries to play in such a fashion, but as you noted, he tends to fail at that -- and then goes on to acknowledge that he's failed. Very subtle difference, but Crawford and Young don't seem to either know or care about playing team ball, whereas J.R. at least understands how to, but just can't do so successfully.

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For all the Smith criticism -- and he's earned it -- he looked pretty darn good with the Cavs last year.  He makes them a better team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 08:14:22 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
For all the Smith criticism -- and he's earned it -- he looked pretty darn good with the Cavs last year.  He makes them a better team.

He has? He was truly awful for them in the finals

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

Probably something to do with being asked to be the teams 2nd option while being guarded by Thompson. He was instrumental to Cavs success in the Bulls and Hawks series. If i remember correctly he avg 18ppg vs the hawks. Hit tons of momentum shifting 3s vs the Bulls. Thats all they will ever need him to do. He has shown he is more than capable of doing so

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-wZZlrMIp0

He was pretty lethal for them up until then. James Worthy was awful in the 84 finals. James Harden was awful in the 2012 finals. Heck we all know Ray Allen was awful in the 2010 finals (outside of game 2), and we know what Ray did for the Celtics. Smith's not on their level but point is we've seen plenty of great players who play a pivotal role for their team stink it up at the worst time.

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

Again you are showing why arguing or debating with you is an exercise in futility. You take the everything is completely sunshine approach that the Cavs do and can't acknowledge there are some legitimate risks associated with Jr Smith.
[/quote]

Every player has risks associated with signing them. Jr more so that most but his reward is more than worth it esp given the Cavs cap situation

Unrestricted free agents with no baggage or issues don't stay on the market until the end of August and take paycuts in the middle of their career. He is in a minority of players that have been suspended multiple times from NBA playoff series for violence against an opponent (he may be the only active one). He also been suspended by the NBA for drugs, served jail time related to a car accident and been fined for repeatedly untying players sneakers.

Again when he has been on a good team with strong leadership his character has been exemplary. If Jr has a similar season to last (having one incident in the PO but making crucial shots for the team) the Cavs will doing back flips because he would be a steal for his salary

Despite your excuse that he was mad, the fact that he got suspended from a playoff game from an already short handed team last season shows he has not grown out of his loose cannon ways. If I have a completely stacked team like the Cavs do and Smith, my opinion is that they are better off without Smith's history on and off the court, especially if they could get someone like Crawford that is probably 70% of the player. You can feel free to disagree, but it would make for a lot better discourse if you could at least acknowledge there is some risk involved and not downplay everything as being perfect.

so Cavs have 3 options.

-Sign a minimum player with no talent to fit their need
-Sign a 35yo JCraw who plays no defense and who does not fit their current team offensively. Also they have to actually give up assests to get JCraw
-Sign Jr who despite some of his baggage has shown he can get his head right and is the perfect fit for the team and has shown he is more than capable of contributing to the teams PO success. Also they get to keep whatever assest they currently have and chase other pieces if need be. This really isnt a debate

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 08:38:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I guess there are two things I am surprised that people seem to be forgetting. Two times already in his playoff career he has probably forced his team to play an extra playoff game because he lost control of his emotions. Unless me memory is playing tricks on me the Cavs lost game 1 last year against the bulls at least partially because they were short-handed from Smith's suspension, Irvings injury and Love being out. If he received the punishment he very well should of they may have lost multiple games.

The same thing happened with him a few years earlier with the Cavs.

So that is one pretty big point in my opinion. You have a guy that has shown repeatedly can't be counted on in by his team in the playoffs cause he freaks out and punches players.

The second thing is, are we all just pretending he didn't resign with Cleveland for a paycut on August 21st when the second most notable unsigned unrestricted free agent is a 35 year Carlos Boozer contemplating China? He is making less money for a reason and reportedly the only offers he even sniffed were from teams like Portland and the 76ers. In a summer of remarkable money being thrown in advance of the salary cap raise, this guy gets a pay cut. I think that speaks more to what the league thinks of him than anything I can say.

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
 [/quote]

Again when he has been on a good team with strong leadership his character has been exemplary. If Jr has a similar season to last (having one incident in the PO but making crucial shots for the team) the Cavs will doing back flips because he would be a steal for his salary

His character his been exemplary? What the heck are you talking about? The time he elbowed Jason Terry in the head he was on a 54 win Knicks team. He was benched in playoffs game for Denver. I will give you credit for one thing. You are the first person I have ever seen use Jr Smith and Exemplary character in the same sentence... I just can't...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:48:01 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 08:56:04 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

His character his been exemplary? What the heck are you talking about? The time he elbowed Jason Terry in the head he was on a 54 win Knicks team. He was benched in playoffs game for Denver. I will give you credit for one thing. You are the first person I have ever seen use Jr Smith and Exemplary character in the same sentence... I just can't...

[/quote]

Again when he was on a team with solid leadership he has always been able to be a big contributor to success regardless on little mishaps here and there.He was big for NUggets in their 09 PO run. In case you didnt know he won 6th man of the year in 2013 (same year he elbowed Terry).

I guess unlike you I choose to define a man by his success/capability not by his failures/mishaps

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
But you are talking about his on court performance and you are the one that brought up his "exemplary character." Elbowing Terry, Punching crowder, failing drug tests, going to jail for wreckless driving, punching a player in the groin region. These are all a lot of things people would consider when determining character, not whether he shot 50% in a playoff series. If you want to say he can shoot a basketball well that is fine. However, you made your own bed with that nonsense comment so have fun trying to get out of it.

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
But you are talking about his on court performance and you are the one that brought up his "exemplary character." Elbowing Terry, Punching crowder, failing drug tests, going to jail for wreckless driving, punching a player in the groin region. These are all a lot of things people would consider when determining character, not whether he shot 50% in a playoff series. If you want to say he can shoot a basketball well that is fine. However, you made your own bed with that nonsense comment so have fun trying to get out of it.

I kept mentioning exemplary character because all interviews I have heard from team mates say he is great dude and is liked in the locker room.

As far as why I am focusing on his bball ability, am thinking that Cavs are more concerned with his on court performances than any thing else. Drunk driving thing was way back in 2007 and he hasnt been involved in any such thing since. He main other serious mishaps (weed/shoelaces) have come when he has been on a bad team with no leadership.

Now hey you can keep highlighting the Terry and Crowder incident and I will continue to highlight they were one individual incident each yr and came in yrs when he has been able to contribute to team success in a big way. I see no reason why those individual incidents should define those bball seasons for him.  And i will re-iterate again that if Jr has a similar yr to last yr (having one incident but making his open 3s) Cavs will be doing back flips

At the end of the day Jr is highly talented player who is a perfect fit for the Cavs. Even if he can be a knuckle head he has shown he is capable of getting his head right and contributing to the teams success. The other alternatives to re-signing Jr (getting JCraw or signing a minimum player) make the Cavs significantly worse hence why they were keen on re-signing him.