Author Topic: JR Smith officially back with Cavs  (Read 9877 times)

JR Smith officially back with Cavs
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
2 years, 10+ million, with player option for year 2
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: JR Smith officially back with Cavs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
As much as I hate Smith, that's a steal. 6MOTY candidate for the same price as Jerebko is nuts.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Smith sb banned from the league. Dirty Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Was stupid for him to opt out. He will have a big year and somebody will give him lots of @$$$$$

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Guy has $20,000 million in talent, still only makes $5 million per year, even with the crazy cap increases, because he's a mental midget who never learned how to play team ball.

What a waste.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 11:37:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Guy has $20,000 million in talent, still only makes $5 million per year, even with the crazy cap increases, because he's a mental midget who never learned how to play team ball.

What a waste.

Hahha. Never heard that one before..
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 06:02:05 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

What a waste.

It's not even so much that he's never learned to play team ball as it is that he just has horrific decision making -- both on and off the court. He's very impulsive.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 06:47:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

What a waste.

It's not even so much that he's never learned to play team ball as it is that he just has horrific decision making -- both on and off the court. He's very impulsive.

Commonly called a knucklehead .

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 06:56:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He is a gamble .

Never know what he brings to the table ...from game to game

He could hit a streak , give ya 30 points or hit a game winner .....or just as easy screw up a simple play , be a doush and  screw up any chance of winning a game .  SMH .

That s all ok for regular season .....where the sakes aren't so high .

I wouldn't want him on a playoff team headed for a title game.....where consistency is prime.......no room for BONEHEAD plays ..that..might cost the team the championship .

i see no reason to carry a player like this,  when you know you'll more,than likely be playing in title games where one out of control play , loss of temper, could toss the game and series. 

Huge risk to sign him.....I'd play it safe and replaced him with a calm collected player.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:18:55 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:12:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
He is a gamble .

Never know what he brings to the table ...from game to game

He could hit a streak , give ha 30 points hit a game winner .....or just as easy screw up a simple play , be a doush screw up any chance of winning a game .

That s all ok for regular season .....where the sakes aren't so high .

I wouldn't want him on a playoff team .....where consistency is prime.......no room for BONE plays ....might cost the team the championship .

i see no reason to carry a player like this,  when you know you'll more,than likely be playing in title games.     

Huge risk to sign him.....I'd play it safe and replaced him with a calm collected player.
It was Smith or no one for the Cavs though.  They have no means to sign anyone other than minimum contract players that weren't returning free agents.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

What a waste.

Isn't that kind of the same thing?  I understand you're saying it's his basic nature, less a matter of learning.  But the big problem is that he doesn't really know how to succeed on the court except doing his own thing regardless of his teammates.

He's like Kobe in that regard, only with Kobe I think it's been a calculated decision.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Was stupid for him to opt out. He will have a big year and somebody will give him lots of @$$$$$

If he's set to make a ton of money how was it a mistake for him to opt out?

I don't understand this post.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think he's saying that by opting out, Smith cost himself around $1.5 million, since he's on the same one year deal he would have been on anyway.  Instead of making $6.5 million this year, he'll make $5 million (or whatever the exact numbers are).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think he's saying that by opting out, Smith cost himself around $1.5 million, since he's on the same one year deal he would have been on anyway.  Instead of making $6.5 million this year, he'll make $5 million (or whatever the exact numbers are).
true, though he does now have a no trade clause, which certainly has some value and if he gets hurt he can always opt in for the next year, which also has some value.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Is this a great move for either side? I feel like the Cavs would have been better off with Crawford as some bench offense in a trade with the Clips (not sure how it works salary wise). It seems like Crawford offers a lot of what Smith does and doesn't carry the risk of screwing up a game/playoff series. With Love said to be integrated into the offense more and Mosgov seemingly feeling more comfortable on offense, is Smith really going to be happy with the number of shots he gets?