Poll

Who would you rather trade for?

Nerlens Noel
16 (32%)
Demarcus Cousins
34 (68%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Would you trade for Nerlens Noel or Demarcus Cousins?  (Read 8676 times)

Re: Would you trade for Nerlens Noel or Demarcus Cousins?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I would trade a treasure trove for either player.  More for Demarcus, but I think Noel is a very good young player who will continue to get better.

I'd do what I could to avoid trading Marcus Smart, but I'd be willing to trade pretty much anything else.  For Cousins, I'd be willing to trade Smart, too.
I agree 100% with this opinion. That's why we accumulated all these draft assets, not to draft 5 or 6 guys each year. Plus, we have a number of young guys with potential to add to the offer for either player.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 06:59:55 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Would I rather have Lebron James or Paul George? Lemme think about it.

Seriously?  Neither of these players are comparable to Lebron or Paul George.

Nerlens Noel is a young and still unproven big who was taken #6 overall.  Philly just drafted Okafor (#3 overall) who might be an even better player.  And they also have Embiid (#3 overall) on the roster.  There is a surplus here and the Sixers have holes.  So one of those bigs could go.

Demarcus Cousins -- the trade rumors are there for a reason, Cousins and Karl are not getting along.  Read the article linked.  Although the owner has said he'd want Cousins to stay, how long can Cousins last in Sacramento if him and the head coach can't see eye to eye?

Are you sure?  ::)

My point was two guys are exceptional at their positions but one is a top 3 franchise changer while the the other is top 5-10 and would need more than one other guy to win.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 07:08:53 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Nerlens Noel is a young and still unproven big who was taken #6 overall.  Philly just drafted Okafor (#3 overall) who might be an even better player.  And they also have Embiid (#3 overall) on the roster.  There is a surplus here and the Sixers have holes.  So one of those bigs could go.

Demarcus Cousins -- the trade rumors are there for a reason, Cousins and Karl are not getting along.  Read the article linked.  Although the owner has said he'd want Cousins to stay, how long can Cousins last in Sacramento if him and the head coach can't see eye to eye?

That wasn't the point of the post.  The purpose of the post was to place emphasis on how very far apart Demarcus Cousins and Nerlens Noel are as talents/players. 

Demarcus Cousins is by far the best center in the entire NBA.  Nerlens Noel is a defensive role player who is, at this point in his career, a fringe starter.  Albeit a fringe starter who has the upside to potentially be a fringe all-star one day.

This would be something like comparing Lebron James to Kris Middleton, given that Lebron is the best player in the NBA at his position...while Middleton is a good young player who would start on most teams, and who has the upside to one day be a borderline All-Star.

The Lebron vs George argument is actually quite generous since Paul George is FAR closer to Lebron James than Nerlens Noel is to Demarcus Cousins. At least George is a multi-time all star and a two way player.  Noel is a second year player who's only elite talent is defense - he is an offensive liability.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
... assuming we're considering A. Davis a PF, then
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I was but it's in terms of trading a great deal of assets for a elite big man. I want a guy who can both carry some offense (Cousins) and lead the defense (Noel) for the team in one package. Davis is that dream.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 553

That wasn't the point of the post.  The purpose of the post was to place emphasis on how very far apart Demarcus Cousins and Nerlens Noel are as talents/players. 

Demarcus Cousins is by far the best center in the entire NBA.  Nerlens Noel is a defensive role player who is, at this point in his career, a fringe starter.  Albeit a fringe starter who has the upside to potentially be a fringe all-star one day.

This would be something like comparing Lebron James to Kris Middleton, given that Lebron is the best player in the NBA at his position...while Middleton is a good young player who would start on most teams, and who has the upside to one day be a borderline All-Star.

The Lebron vs George argument is actually quite generous since Paul George is FAR closer to Lebron James than Nerlens Noel is to Demarcus Cousins. At least George is a multi-time all star and a two way player.  Noel is a second year player who's only elite talent is defense - he is an offensive liability.
Noel's offense still needs a lot of work but he isn't a fringe starter.  He'd start for a lot of teams.  I'd rather have Noel than most of the other starting centers.   

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't know how the poll isn't 24-0 in favor ofnCousins. I'd still take Noel but I take Cousins over him 101 times out of 100

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 10:04:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't know how the poll isn't 24-0 in favor ofnCousins. I'd still take Noel but I take Cousins over him 101 times out of 100

Because you'll be hard pressed to find a fanbase that overrates another team's player more than C's fans overrate Noel. I'd hate to think how bad it would get if Noel actually added 10-15 lbs, could defend the post, and had any semblance of an offensive game.

Marc J. Spears
?Sixers @JoelEmbiid played very well in workouts prior to re-injuring foot & after getting best of Nerlens once told him this is my team now.

Something has to give here. Either Noel is completely overrated in getting schooled by a player coming off of major injury and missing significant time. Or Embiid, before this latest setback, is (was?) a freak of nature. Things must have been pretty one-sided for Embiid to say that.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I was but it's in terms of trading a great deal of assets for a elite big man. I want a guy who can both carry some offense (Cousins) and lead the defense (Noel) for the team in one package. Davis is that dream.

Sorry, wasn't referring to your post but ones above stating that Cousins is by far the best C in the league.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 12:40:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd take whichever one we could get.
In fact getting Noel first would be a great option because Cousins is going to be very hard to get.

If you can get Noel, then you can use him to get Cousins if he does hit the market.
I was going to make a thread about this, but here's a question...

If the Brooklyn pick somehow gives us a top 5 lottery pick, would you trade that pick to the 76ers for Noel, or would you hold it and take a draftee ie Jaylen Brown, Brandon Ingram etc..?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 03:10:53 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I love Nerlens, but I'll take a top 10 player/best Center in the league over him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 06:59:27 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
You build around Cousins .

Nerlins is part of a strong core .

I think CBS could make a title run with either guy.

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 07:02:10 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I want a great Massachusetts player to play on the Celtics.

Noel's style of play is something that is the rare blend of fit and flash. We need a rim protector, Boston's legacy was built by arguably the highest profile all time in Mr. Russell, most recently when we were at our best we had dominant defense at the 1 and 4/5.

All that being said it's still Cousins in a landslide. DMC is the most available player with the potential to be a top 10 talent.

Personally these two, Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Demar Derozan, and maybe one of the high value blue chips like Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Gorgui Dieng or even someone like a Derrick Favors would round out my top 5(6) for relatively attainable high level players.

Edit: Think Shabazz Muhammad could be a player to watch. Could see a situation where he starts to become too featured and is avaible due to being discontented with how much of a role they are willing to give him.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:14:44 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:40 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I love Nerlens, but I'll take a top 10 player/best Center in the league over him.

I agree and it's not close

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

Because you'll be hard pressed to find a fanbase that overrates another team's player more than C's fans overrate Noel. I'd hate to think how bad it would get if Noel actually added 10-15 lbs, could defend the post, and had any semblance of an offensive game.

Marc J. Spears
?Sixers @JoelEmbiid played very well in workouts prior to re-injuring foot & after getting best of Nerlens once told him this is my team now.

Something has to give here. Either Noel is completely overrated in getting schooled by a player coming off of major injury and missing significant time. Or Embiid, before this latest setback, is (was?) a freak of nature. Things must have been pretty one-sided for Embiid to say that.
because it depends on the package.  If it takes all three BKN picks to get Cousins, but only one to get Noel, who would you rather acquire?

Cousins is A LOT better than Noel, but because of that you will have to give up A LOT more to get him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip