Author Topic: Redsox hire ex tigers GM - Dombrowski  (Read 7467 times)

Redsox hire ex tigers GM - Dombrowski
« on: August 18, 2015, 10:15:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This guy has been one of the best GMS in baseball in the last 4 years.  Tigers made the post season 3-4 seasons in a row prior to this season. 

He got fired for trading Price and Cespedes (for decent prospects). But upper level management was kind of upset about this, as the Tigers were not out of the race.

In my opinon Dombrowski did the right thing, because rumor was both of these guys were not interested in resigning with the Tigers.  In addition Verlander is not the same dominant pitcher anymore and they couldn't afford to keep Scherzer  (huge loss). Hence little to no chance the Tigers make the post season or get anywhere if they did.

It's funny we get Dombrowski because he totally screwed us with the Porcello trade.   It wouldn't surprise me if he trades him again, if he can find anybody willing to take him and his disgusting contract. 

With a bigger budget to work with, I wonder what Dombrowski will be able to do. 

I hope in addition to trading Porcello, he can trade Ramirez.   ( Future in the outfield looks good with Betts, Castillo and Bradley Jr.)   And get us pitching help this team desperately needs

Re: Redsox hire ex tigers GM - Dombrowski
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:31:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
and cherington turned down an offer to work under dombrowski and will leave the sox. cant blame cherington, i am sure his duties were being curtailed given his poor record of big signings...though of course the top people signed off on them.

so, with dombrowski, who will be the new sox GM? i hear rumors of dipoto and frank wren.

dombrowski is know for building farm systems AND for good trades. this will be an interesting time for the sox.

as for farrell, he has managed his last game for the sox. they will move him to some job such as pitcher evaluation. just as well for his health and the sox.

on a lighter note, what about that shaw kid? best of all, he is from kent state, my old school. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:49:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
and cherington turned down an offer to work under dombrowski and will leave the sox. cant blame cherington, i am sure his duties were being curtailed given his poor record of big signings...though of course the top people signed off on them.

so, with dombrowski, who will be the new sox GM? i hear rumors of dipoto and frank wren.

dombrowski is know for building farm systems AND for good trades. this will be an interesting time for the sox.

as for farrell, he has managed his last game for the sox. they will move him to some job such as pitcher evaluation. just as well for his health and the sox.

on a lighter note, what about that shaw kid? best of all, he is from kent state, my old school. ;D

Dombrowski will be the GM it looks like.  Until perhaps they find someone . but i can see him being the gm for the first year, make a couple of big moves, draft certain type of players and hire a like minded gm.

For example porcello , ramirez are going to be traded if possible.

Yup , Farrell days as the head coach is done.  I like the temporary guy right now.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
A change needed to be made.  Team was going nowhere.  Especially after that disasterous offseason which I don't entirely blame on Cherington.  I think there was a lot of ownership meddling going on there.   Hopefully, these guys back off and let Dombrowski do his job.

Sox are a mess right now.  A lot of work needs to be done. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

He could become the second New England sports hero from Kent State, joining Julian Edelman.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
The Red Sox stink and they are gonna stink for a while, doesn't matter who the President of the team is. They have no pitching.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Was overdue.  Team on track for yet another bottom of the rankings finish.  Unacceptable.

Hopefully this is one of many steps taken to get some new minds and perspectives in the front office.

The Sox are a mess right now, but they still have a number of quality young pieces.

Bogaerts, Betts, Castillo, JBJ, Swihart, Holt, Vasquez, possibly Shaw.  Solid position players with good defense and the ability to get on base.  Then there's Pedroia, who is still solid.

Pitching is a problem, but they've at least got a quantity of solid arms.  Miley, Rodriguez, Wright, Johnson, Owens, Barnes, Kelly, Tazawa.  Even Porcello can probably be OK if you forget how much money he makes.  You've got the middle and back end of a rotation and parts of a decent bullpen there.  Just got to figure out who is best suited to do what. 

Of course, they lack top of the rotation pitchers, and they've got 3 DHs who all expect to play almost every night.  That's a huge problem. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:04:14 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I'm really glad they went out of the organization and got a really experienced GM with track record of success instead of just promoting someone from inside this dysfunctional front office. Hopefully he'll challenge the way things are done here.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
A change needed to be made.  Team was going nowhere.  Especially after that disasterous offseason which I don't entirely blame on Cherington.  I think there was a lot of ownership meddling going on there.   Hopefully, these guys back off and let Dombrowski do his job.

Sox are a mess right now.  A lot of work needs to be done.

We'll have to wait until Ben's book comes out ;-)  I agree ... the Panda and Hanley signings seemed totally out of character for Cherington ... reminds me of the Carl Crawford signings ... e.g. front office meddling.

I don't think they are as much of a mess as you do.  I think their lineup is set for years to come with

OF:  Betts, JBJ, Rusney
1B:  Hanley (I think they should move him), Holt
SS:  Xander
2B:  Pedroia (and then Moncada in a few years)
3B:  Panda (and then Devers)
C:    Swihart, Vazquez
DH:  Papi, Hanley, Panda

That's a very good lineup and they are fortunate to have many cost controlled players to offset the bad Hanley and Panda contracts.

They also have plenty of 3-5 starter quality arms ... they need an ace or two.  That's where their deep farm system should come in handy ... time to make a big trade. 

They are a mess this year because their starting pitching is weak.  But, a team with deep pockets, a deep farm system, and only a few holes in their ML roster should be able to fill the top of the rotation pitching hole easier than a franchise that's in complete shambles.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Really hope Dombrowski can unload Ramirez. Even for mediocre prospects. Brutal pickup.

Panda is doing better and i would only trade him for a decent return

Hopefully dombrowski can get a decent starting pitcher and potential closer, for next season.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
and cherington turned down an offer to work under dombrowski and will leave the sox. cant blame cherington, i am sure his duties were being curtailed given his poor record of big signings ...though of course the top people signed off on them.

Which is why he's rumored to be a top candidate for my Brewers.  now THAT'S a franchise that can't get out of it own way in terms of front office hires, free agent signings and a horrid decline in the farm system.  Envious you landed Dombroski