Author Topic: Red Sox Firing Don Orsillo?  (Read 17295 times)

Re: Red Sox Firing Don Orsillo?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This ownership group has won three championships and you can't take that away from them
I've always wondered how much this means in baseball. I mean, the Sox are an evidence that you can go last to first to last without even tinkering with players/personnel much.  Sometimes I think most baseball championships can be chiefly ascribed to simple volatility in performance.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Why is this leaked out now?  If they want to make a change, wait until the season is over and make the change.  Now Orsillo is going to be on TV every night for the next 5 weeks knowing he's been fired and knowing the audience knows he's been fired.  How awkward.

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Only thing I would consider more surprising than Orsillo being let go (whether by his choice or theirs) by the Sox is if Mike Gorman were let go by CSNNE.

Barring some unforeseen scandal, I have to think the position is Gorman's as long as he wants.

I think I'd boycott the Celts if they fired Gorman.  The guy is as good as they come.  He very rarely says dumb things, and he's been able to work next to the biggest homer in the NBA while maintaining great chemistry. 

I compare the Tommy & Mike booth to Madden & Summerall.  All four belong in their respective Halls of Fame.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Only thing I would consider more surprising than Orsillo being let go (whether by his choice or theirs) by the Sox is if Mike Gorman were let go by CSNNE.

Barring some unforeseen scandal, I have to think the position is Gorman's as long as he wants.

I think I'd boycott the Celts if they fired Gorman.  The guy is as good as they come.  He very rarely says dumb things, and he's been able to work next to the biggest homer in the NBA while maintaining great chemistry. 

I compare the Tommy & Mike booth to Madden & Summerall.  All four belong in their respective Halls of Fame.

Yup.  The insane thing to ponder now too is that Gorman/Heinsohn has spent more seasons together than Madden/Summerall did.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So the question becomes, if you can only have one, do you take Most or Gorman?

for the record, I actually cannot answer that question.

Also! Found this while revisiting "Havlicek Stole The Ball!". Figured a lot of posters haven't watched this recently (or ever):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu5vMfPtbw
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This ownership group has won three championships and you can't take that away from them
I've always wondered how much this means in baseball. I mean, the Sox are an evidence that you can go last to first to last without even tinkering with players/personnel much.  Sometimes I think most baseball championships can be chiefly ascribed to simple volatility in performance.

If you look at the past winners and runners up, that's not really true.

The Giants have won 3 out of the last 5 Championships.  The Cardinals have been to 4 of the last 10, winning twice, and have the league's best record this year.  The Red Sox have won 3 times in 11 years.  The Rangers were runners up in 2010 & 2011.  The Phillies won in 2008 and were runners up in 2009. 

Obviously, the Red Sox went 86 years without winning while the Yankees won 20+ times.

2013 was a bit of a fluke, but the team has been dysfunctionally built for the past several years with a lot of talent on the roster.  The Royals are contenders now, but they have been on the rise for a few years.

Money might be the biggest factor in having a consistent contender, but a good front office isn't far behind.

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Gorman is the best.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Gorman is the best.

Agreed in the modern era, but I mean, he doesn't have anything nearly as iconic as HSTB. Which is still so rad 50 years later.

I'm sure when I watch old C's broadcasts after Gorman has retired it'll be a moment to remember how rad he was, but I don't know that he touches Most?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Also! Found this while revisiting "Havlicek Stole The Ball!". Figured a lot of posters haven't watched this recently (or ever):
tbh, I think Tommy covers the homer material for Mike. 

I think Gorman and Most are equals.  Gorman is the smooth professional that has so much insight he could be doing the color commentary and provides the level-headed delivery with some exclamations of excitement thrown in on those special plays.

Most had a penchant for great quotes and villifying the opposition.  still love his calls of the Pistons games from the 80's -- particularly concerning Laimbeer.

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Gorman is the best.

Agreed in the modern era, but I mean, he doesn't have anything nearly as iconic as HSTB. Which is still so rad 50 years later.

I'm sure when I watch old C's broadcasts after Gorman has retired it'll be a moment to remember how rad he was, but I don't know that he touches Most?

It will be hard for Gorman to have iconic moments on that level since he's limited to regular season games and the first round of the playoffs. I wish we had the choice to hear Mike and Tommy throughout playoff games. Would have been awesome in 2008.

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Gorman is the best.

It will be hard for Gorman to have iconic moments on that level since he's limited to regular season games and the first round of the playoffs. I wish we had the choice to hear Mike and Tommy throughout playoff games. Would have been awesome in 2008.
agreed - so disappointing not being able to listen to them after the first round.

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Most was a master of radio, but horrible for TV. Mike is more balanced, subtle, better suited for TV.

They are both media icons. I fell in love with the Celtics through Johnny Most broadcasts from the '60's.

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nice piece on the Orsillo situation from Yahoo.

I still can't believe Orsillo got fired because one guy higher up the chain didn't like him. Don and Remdog are the best. So entertaining. I just watched a replay of the pizza incident embedded in that Yahoo story—man, I loved it when Orsillo and Remy got laughing and couldn't stop! I'll miss that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 07:11:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Nice piece on the Orsillo situation from Yahoo.

I still can't believe Orsillo got fired because one guy higher up the chain didn't like him. Don and Remdog are the best. So entertaining. I just watched a replay of the pizza incident embedded in that Yahoo story—man, I loved it when Orsillo and Remy got laughing and couldn't stop! I'll miss that.

yea this made me really sad... spent 10 plus years listening to that guy. Seems like he was there before 2001