Author Topic: The day the legend retired  (Read 2331 times)

The day the legend retired
« on: August 18, 2015, 05:56:35 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
August 18 1992
Larry Bird officialy retires ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98wnDbYI3yg

Re: The day the legend retired
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:04:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hated that day but I had mixed feelings.   I was sad to see Larry go, but on the other hand, I knew he had gave his all, hurt his body and back in doing so.  In that sense, I had relief because I did not wanted him to be lame or crippled later in life.   

Many years later, we have seen a guy with Magic's skillset with more athletic ability in LeBron.   There have been a plethora of high flyers who have done well in the league.   Kobe was a lot like MJ, not as good though.   But there has never been another Larry Bird.   Dirk had elements of his game, but not the passing or creativity.   Other guys have had the passing but not the shot.

I had C-Band dish and we got every Celtic Game, the ones hey did not show on TV, we just as amazing as the ones they did not.   I always felt sorry for the guys who only saw the national games because they misses a lot of artful basketball by Bird and the gang.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Nice post, ederson.  Don't think I saw this before.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:44:51 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I remember that they interrupted afternoon soap operas to announce this.  We only had 3 TV channels back then, so that was all that was on in the afternoon.  I was 12 years old. I remember being in shock.  We lived out of town, and I went and took a walk down to the main road and back.  I just couldn't wrap my brain around the idea that Larry Bird wouldn't be playing basketball next year.