Poll

Which teams will have the biggest improvement on their Win/Loss total this season?

Knicks
5 (14.3%)
Kings
1 (2.9%)
Miami
10 (28.6%)
T Wolves
10 (28.6%)
Pistons
0 (0%)
OKC
4 (11.4%)
Orlando
2 (5.7%)
Bucks
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Most improved teams (win/loss record) in the NBA next season?  (Read 18396 times)

Re: Most improved teams (win/loss record) in the NBA next season?
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I know at least one Sixers fan who was devastated that D'Angelo Russell didn't fall to them.

If it's not me then you know of two.

But at the end of the day, none of us know enough to say whether it'll work out well or poorly for a few years. Thought that probably won't stop declarative statements from both sides. I don't think they drafted Mudiay because:

A. They thought Okafor was a flat out better prospect, and they're going BPA regardless

B. PG vs Center scarcity

C. I think now that they have two bigs they'll most likely be building around you really need 3 shooters out there to run a productive offense.

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This has certainly gotten off track, but these recent posts did make me think, why didn't the 76er's go for Muidiay? I only saw a little of him, but it seemed like he looked really good in summer league (as did Okafor). However, having a talented guard is something that would have really helped them moving forward.
Okafor is a big man who has a much higher floor and a ceiling in the same general range as Mudiay (Mudiay's is probably a bit higher, but I don't think enough to warrant the risk).  To me that says you take the big man especially in the modern NBA where quality PG's seem to be falling from the sky, but quality bigs are few and far between.  If I was Hinkie, I would have taken Okafor and wouldn't have given it a second thought. 
If Hinkie's only option was to choose between Okafor and Mudiay, then I agree he made the right pick.  Okafor is much less likely to be a bust and Embiid had yet to return from his original injury.

having said that, what I would have done differently is shop either that pick or Noel to get 2 prime assets (a really good young player and another pick in the top 8 although top 11 would have worked considering how far Winslow and Turner dropped) instead of just one and in the process, provide better balance to the roster in terms of positions where I would have a top prospect to develop.

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I know at least one Sixers fan who was devastated that D'Angelo Russell didn't fall to them.

If it's not me then you know of two.

But at the end of the day, none of us know enough to say whether it'll work out well or poorly for a few years. Thought that probably won't stop declarative statements from both sides. I don't think they drafted Mudiay because:

A. They thought Okafor was a flat out better prospect, and they're going BPA regardless

B. PG vs Center scarcity

C. I think now that they have two bigs they'll most likely be building around you really need 3 shooters out there to run a productive offense.

Wasn't you -- number is now two.

Agreed with your assessment on why they took Okafor, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This has certainly gotten off track, but these recent posts did make me think, why didn't the 76er's go for Muidiay? I only saw a little of him, but it seemed like he looked really good in summer league (as did Okafor). However, having a talented guard is something that would have really helped them moving forward.
Okafor is a big man who has a much higher floor and a ceiling in the same general range as Mudiay (Mudiay's is probably a bit higher, but I don't think enough to warrant the risk).  To me that says you take the big man especially in the modern NBA where quality PG's seem to be falling from the sky, but quality bigs are few and far between.  If I was Hinkie, I would have taken Okafor and wouldn't have given it a second thought. 
If Hinkie's only option was to choose between Okafor and Mudiay, then I agree he made the right pick.  Okafor is much less likely to be a bust and Embiid had yet to return from his original injury.

having said that, what I would have done differently is shop either that pick or Noel to get 2 prime assets (a really good young player and another pick in the top 8 although top 11 would have worked considering how far Winslow and Turner dropped) instead of just one and in the process, provide better balance to the roster in terms of positions where I would have a top prospect to develop.

I'm sure that pick was shopped.  I just don't think the right offer was there.

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'm sure that pick was shopped.  I just don't think the right offer was there.
Because that team doesn't really exist.  There is no team that would have given a prime asset and a prime draft pick to move up to 3 or for Noel because no team that made sense had both of those.  I mean look at the teams drafting 4 through 11.  None of them have 2 such assets where it would make sense to make that trade.  Sacto was probably the best option (for Noel), but what asset aside from 6 were you going to get (and I absolutely think Noel was worth more than 6 in the last draft even with Mudiay ultimately being on the board then).  I mean maybe McLemore  + 6 pre-draft, but I don't think Philly would have done that because they wouldn't have thought to trade Noel until Okafor was on the board.  It would have been interesting though as Philly then has Mudiay, McLemore, and Okafor to build around this year with Embiid and Saric potentially down the line.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2015, 03:42:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Celts had the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft this past June and had passed on Okafor, I honestly would have been horrified.

I'm not prepared to say it's always a no-brainer to take a big man at the top of the draft if you think talent and health is more or less a wash, but Okafor just has "it" for me.  I think he's going to be really good, and I wish the Celts could have gotten him.

Okafor reminds me of Pau Gasol.  I think that's the kind of talent he has.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:51:56 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If the Celts had the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft this past June and had passed on Okafor, I honestly would have been horrified.

I'm not prepared to say it's always a no-brainer to take a big man at the top of the draft if you think talent and health is more or less a wash, but Okafor just has "it" for me.  I think he's going to be really good, and I wish the Celts could have gotten him.

Okafor reminds me of Pau Gasol.  I think that's the kind of talent he has.
I'm with you there.  Okafor looks like an offensive monster and good rebounder.  Needs some work defensively obviously, but has all the makings of being a Pau type player.  I honestly think his downside is Al Jefferson.  Still a darn good player, though not the difference maker Pau is.  Okafor is also the most NBA ready player in that draft.  I think he has a real chance of being a 20/10 player this season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I hesitate to compare players like Okafor to Al Jefferson, not because I don't like Big Al as a player, but because I think Big Al's misfortune with injuries and having mostly bad teams around him has colored the perception of how good he is as a player.

Pau is so well regarded now because he's had the chance to spend the second half of his career playing next Kobe Bryant, and now Jimmy Butler / Joakim Noah / Derrick Rose etc.  I think Pau is decidedly better than Big Al, but I wonder how people would look at prospects who profile similarly if Big Al had the chance to play on some better teams.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Sacramento. They will be the modern day Jailblazers.