Poll

Which teams will have the biggest improvement on their Win/Loss total this season?

Knicks
5 (14.3%)
Kings
1 (2.9%)
Miami
10 (28.6%)
T Wolves
10 (28.6%)
Pistons
0 (0%)
OKC
4 (11.4%)
Orlando
2 (5.7%)
Bucks
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Most improved teams (win/loss record) in the NBA next season?  (Read 18397 times)

Re: Most improved teams (win/loss record) in the NBA next season?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Above .500 is a bit much, but I feel like they should hit 35 wins at least, so long as they can get plenty of minutes out of Afflalo, Melo, and Lopez, and their rookies give them some solid production.
Melo's underrated imo.  I think people would be surprised to see how consistently "above-average" Melo-lead teams have been throughout his career.  It's not like a Paul Pierce situation where the guy makes 4 playoffs in 10 years (never cracking 50 wins) before climbing on KG's back.   Melo's teams are generally pretty good when he's healthy.

2003 - NCAA Champion
2004 - 43 wins - playoffs   
2005 - 49 wins - playoffs
2006 - 44 wins - playoffs
2007 - 45 wins - playoffs
2008 - 50 wins - playoffs
2009 - 54 wins - playoffs
2010 - 53 wins - playoffs
(Joins Knicks)
2011 - 42 wins - playoffs
2012 - 45* wins - playoffs (*projected over lockout shortened season)
2013 - 54 wins - playoffs
2014 - 37 wins (missed playoffs for first time in career)
2015 - Blatant Tank season

2016 - ?

Dude made the playoffs the first 10 years of his career on two different teams.   The surrounding line-up isn't spectacular, but PG - Calderon, SG - Afflalo, SF - Melo, PF - O'Quinn (underrated imo) and C - Lopez looks like enough to make the playoffs in the dreadful Eastern conference.  Let's not forget that the 7th seed this year had a losing record and arguably not a single legitimate starter. 

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 06:06:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think over .500 and the playoffs are definitely a possibility for the Knicks, I just don't feel confident saying they will definitely go much higher than 35 wins.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Let's not forget that the 7th seed this year had a losing record and arguably not a single legitimate starter.

Given that you make this point dozens of times a day, I don't see how we possibly could forget.

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 11:04:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Above .500 is a bit much, but I feel like they should hit 35 wins at least, so long as they can get plenty of minutes out of Afflalo, Melo, and Lopez, and their rookies give them some solid production.
Melo's underrated imo.  I think people would be surprised to see how consistently "above-average" Melo-lead teams have been throughout his career.  It's not like a Paul Pierce situation where the guy makes 4 playoffs in 10 years (never cracking 50 wins) before climbing on KG's back.   Melo's teams are generally pretty good when he's healthy.

2003 - NCAA Champion
2004 - 43 wins - playoffs   
2005 - 49 wins - playoffs
2006 - 44 wins - playoffs
2007 - 45 wins - playoffs
2008 - 50 wins - playoffs
2009 - 54 wins - playoffs
2010 - 53 wins - playoffs
(Joins Knicks)
2011 - 42 wins - playoffs
2012 - 45* wins - playoffs (*projected over lockout shortened season)
2013 - 54 wins - playoffs
2014 - 37 wins (missed playoffs for first time in career)
2015 - Blatant Tank season

2016 - ?

Dude made the playoffs the first 10 years of his career on two different teams.   The surrounding line-up isn't spectacular, but PG - Calderon, SG - Afflalo, SF - Melo, PF - O'Quinn (underrated imo) and C - Lopez looks like enough to make the playoffs in the dreadful Eastern conference.  Let's not forget that the 7th seed this year had a losing record and arguably not a single legitimate starter.
Do they have a bench?

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:30 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Let's not forget that the 7th seed this year had a losing record and arguably not a single legitimate starter.

Given that you make this point dozens of times a day, I don't see how we possibly could forget.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sixers huh?  Interesting.

I like Okafor, but that's bold.  They still don't have more than a few NBA rotation players at positions other than center, and they're probably going to try to play Noel and Okafor together for a lot of minutes, which probably won't work out very well on the offensive end.

The Sixers are going places, just not this year.
They only won 17 games.  I really think 34 is reasonable for them as Noel now is a full season removed from the injury (and the second year is always better than the first) and I do really like Okafor.  He was the most NBA ready of all players in the draft.  I expect Aldemir to make a big jump with a full season.  Thompson is still an incredible shooter.  Grant, Covington, Canaan, and Sampson should all improve.  Wroten is back.  They added Staukas.  I like Wallace and Landry for leadership potential.

It will all come down to Noel and Okafor, obviously, but I really think they are going to surprise a lot of people.

So who is going to be worse than Philly just out of curiosity?
In the East.  Detroit, Charlotte, New York, and Orlando
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 10:10:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I like Okafor, but that's bold.  They still don't have more than a few NBA rotation players at positions other than center, and they're probably going to try to play Noel and Okafor together for a lot of minutes, which probably won't work out very well on the offensive end.

They only won 17 games.  I really think 34 is reasonable for them as Noel now is a full season removed from the injury (and the second year is always better than the first) and I do really like Okafor.  He was the most NBA ready of all players in the draft.  I expect Aldemir to make a big jump with a full season.  Thompson is still an incredible shooter.  Grant, Covington, Canaan, and Sampson should all improve.  Wroten is back.  They added Staukas.  I like Wallace and Landry for leadership potential.

It will all come down to Noel and Okafor, obviously, but I really think they are going to surprise a lot of people.

None of those teams, barring injuries, will finish worse than the Sixers.  By what reasoning would you make that statement?  All 4 have more talent and better-balanced rosters.  I don't think any of them are playoff teams but none of them are relying on an unproven rookie and second-year player (who both play the same position) to lead them out of the league-embarrassment level of achievement. 

Also, just to throw another twist on this, who's to say Hinkie doesn't torpedo that team's roster if it happens to surpass current expectations during the season?  Philly is in another race to the bottom, the only way they finish better than anyone else is if a bad team gets crushed by the injury bug.

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think Noel and Okafor will struggle to play together. I think Okafor will be an empty stats player early on his career. His defense is more damaging than his offense is helpful.

I don't think Okafor's addition will help Philly this season. I think it'll hold them back.

He's replacing Henry Sims and Furkan Aldemir's minutes at Center, he's not going to make them worse.

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

None of those teams, barring injuries, will finish worse than the Sixers.  By what reasoning would you make that statement?  All 4 have more talent and better-balanced rosters.  I don't think any of them are playoff teams but none of them are relying on an unproven rookie and second-year player (who both play the same position) to lead them out of the league-embarrassment level of achievement. 

Also, just to throw another twist on this, who's to say Hinkie doesn't torpedo that team's roster if it happens to surpass current expectations during the season?  Philly is in another race to the bottom, the only way they finish better than anyone else is if a bad team gets crushed by the injury bug.

Hinkie's entire history says he's not going to torpedo the team due to being "too good."

The "best" player he's given up in a trade mid-season was a guy they upgraded from by acquiring Ish freakin' Smith.

If I had to guess they'll have the 3rd or 4th worst record. I expect LAL's dumpster fire of long two jacking gunners, and Denver's dumpster fire of a dumpster fire to be worse. I also expect a team in the East that suffers injuries to flat out try to lose games like the Knicks did last year.

If Brook Lopez gets hurt that roster is definitely worse than the Sixers.

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Hinkie's entire history says he's not going to torpedo the team due to being "too good."

The "best" player he's given up in a trade mid-season was a guy they upgraded from by acquiring Ish freakin' Smith.

This is true, I think, but if you weren't paying attention to Philly prior to their Bynum blowup it might sound pretty incorrect.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 11:26:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If I had to guess they'll have the 3rd or 4th worst record. I expect LAL's dumpster fire of long two jacking gunners, and Denver's dumpster fire of a dumpster fire to be worse. I also expect a team in the East that suffers injuries to flat out try to lose games like the Knicks did last year.

If Brook Lopez gets hurt that roster is definitely worse than the Sixers.
Rumors have been out there for as long as Hinkie has been the GM that they will trade any player for picks. I'm not sure about the stance that Hinkie wouldn't trade guys because they are too good.

Wasn't the point of signing all those d-league quality players to make sure the Sixers weren't too good?

Until I see the Sixers fill out their roster with quality players instead of d-league fliers I will continue to think that Philly is still in tank mode.

The Sixers could easily win a lot more games than they did last year, but I don't think the organizational goal will be to do that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's not a real rumor, though -- it's conjecture relying (mostly) on the fact that he traded Jrue Holiday at his all-time highest value for the 6th pick as it's basis. That pick, of course, turned into Nerlens Noel, who will probably help NBA teams win more games than Jrue Holiday for the foreseeable future.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 11:52:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Hinkie's MO all along has been to trade guys that he doesn't believe have the talent to become stars.

What's interesting about the Noel - Okafor - Embiid situation is that it's the first time Hinkie may be forced to trade one or more players who do have star talent but who cannot play together long term.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's not a real rumor, though -- it's conjecture relying (mostly) on the fact that he traded Jrue Holiday at his all-time highest value for the 6th pick as it's basis. That pick, of course, turned into Nerlens Noel, who will probably help NBA teams win more games than Jrue Holiday for the foreseeable future.
that and the MCW trade as well.  I'm not big on MCW as a starting PG so far but he's much better than who they've had at PG since that deal.

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 12:37:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
that and the MCW trade as well.  I'm not big on MCW as a starting PG so far but he's much better than who they've had at PG since that deal.
MCW isn't actually good at basketball, though, which pretty much everyone recognized (including MCW, who had to field trade rumors on the 2014 draft night, as I recall)