Poll

Which teams will have the biggest improvement on their Win/Loss total this season?

Knicks
5 (14.3%)
Kings
1 (2.9%)
Miami
10 (28.6%)
T Wolves
10 (28.6%)
Pistons
0 (0%)
OKC
4 (11.4%)
Orlando
2 (5.7%)
Bucks
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Most improved teams (win/loss record) in the NBA next season?  (Read 18476 times)

Re: Most improved teams (win/loss record) in the NBA next season?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sixers huh?  Interesting.

I like Okafor, but that's bold.  They still don't have more than a few NBA rotation players at positions other than center, and they're probably going to try to play Noel and Okafor together for a lot of minutes, which probably won't work out very well on the offensive end.

The Sixers are going places, just not this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
The most likely to me are OKC, Miami, and Milwaukee. All three teams are getting guys back from injury to add to their improved rosters this season.

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bucks.  .....no doubt with Parker healthy .....could be east sleeper

Heat ......maybe if Bosh n Wade are fully healthy

Pelican

OKC

Celtics .....one of the best improved bottom feeders

Spurs , Rockets and Clippers all with better records ....Dominating the West

Sorry .....I don't think the Warriors will have as good record as the above three ......unless injuries change the deal .

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I like Okafor, but that's bold.  They still don't have more than a few NBA rotation players at positions other than center, and they're probably going to try to play Noel and Okafor together for a lot of minutes, which probably won't work out very well on the offensive end.

They only won 17 games.  I really think 34 is reasonable for them as Noel now is a full season removed from the injury (and the second year is always better than the first) and I do really like Okafor.  He was the most NBA ready of all players in the draft.  I expect Aldemir to make a big jump with a full season.  Thompson is still an incredible shooter.  Grant, Covington, Canaan, and Sampson should all improve.  Wroten is back.  They added Staukas.  I like Wallace and Landry for leadership potential.

It will all come down to Noel and Okafor, obviously, but I really think they are going to surprise a lot of people. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

They only won 17 games.  I really think 34 is reasonable for them as Noel now is a full season removed from the injury (and the second year is always better than the first) and I do really like Okafor.  He was the most NBA ready of all players in the draft.  I expect Aldemir to make a big jump with a full season.  Thompson is still an incredible shooter.  Grant, Covington, Canaan, and Sampson should all improve.  Wroten is back.  They added Staukas.  I like Wallace and Landry for leadership potential.

It will all come down to Noel and Okafor, obviously, but I really think they are going to surprise a lot of people.

So who is going to be worse than Philly just out of curiosity?

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I seriously think that roster is still the bottom-feeder of the league.  maybe 20 wins tops, but that's about it.  Competition worst record will be hard to find. 

only upside to them winning more games is that they decrease their chances of getting one of the top players in the next draft.  curious if the tankaholics on this board will criticize Hinkie for not making that team even worse to get a better pick

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Noel and Okafor will struggle to play together. I think Okafor will be an empty stats player early on his career. His defense is more damaging than his offense is helpful.

I don't think Okafor's addition will help Philly this season. I think it'll hold them back.

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 04:12:41 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
LEADERS

Thunder by 16 games 61 wins
Kings by 15 games  44 wins
Knicks by 14 games  31 wins
Wolves by 14 games 30 wins

Significant improvements

Heat by 11 games  48 wins
Celts by 11 games 51 wins
Cavs by 11 games 64 wins
Hornets by 10 games 43 wins
Magic by 10 games 35 wins
Pelicans by 10 games 55 wins

5-9 game improvements

Bucks
Pacers
Clippers
Lakers

A little better 0-4 more wins

Grizzlies
Sixers
Jazz
Pistons

status quo

bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Wizards

A little off the top 0-5 games less

Warriors
Raptors
Hawks
Nets

Gonna lose some 10 games less

Denver nuggets
Suns

Nose dives

Blazers by 30 games 21 wins
Mavericks by 21 games 29 wins

I think the gap closes some this year between east & west..thanks to Mavs & Blazers.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think Noel and Okafor will struggle to play together. I think Okafor will be an empty stats player early on his career. His defense is more damaging than his offense is helpful.

I don't think Okafor's addition will help Philly this season. I think it'll hold them back.

Well, even if he "hurts" the team, that may still be better than whoever the replacement player is at this position.  I think he'll be better than Henry Sims. 

If healthy, I suppose Landry - Noel is probably their best frontcourt pairing on paper.  Carl will probably be waving a towel on the bench for the most part.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I really don't get the love for the Heat.  They were mediocre when healthy.  Their record when Bosh was diagnosed with his blood clot was 23-30... He played most of the season prior to that.  Yes, they added Dragic, but a mostly-healthy Heat team without Dragic was a 35-win team.  The idea that the upgrade from Chalmers to Dragic is worth 10-15 wins is pretty laughable to me.  They're a year older, their bench is D-league dreck, and their backups would not get minutes on the Celtics.  If their starting 5 can play 30 minutes a game for 75 games, sure, they can be a good team.  But that's not happening.  I think it's more likely they don't crack 40 wins than they are able to get up to 50.

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 04:43:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
They're a year older, their bench is D-league dreck, and their backups would not get minutes on the Celtics.
I think their bench can be pretty good

G: Mario Chalmers = strong backup PG
G: Gerald Green = solid backup SG/SF
F: Justice Winslow = I expect Winslow to be a very good bench player
F: Josh McRoberts = good backup PF
C: Chris Andersen = good backup C

I hope McRoberts and C.Andersen do not lose minutes to Amare Stoudemire. I think that would hurt Miami. Haslem and Amare are good 3rd string options though if kept to those smaller roles. James Ennis as a third string SF/SG also.

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
They're a year older, their bench is D-league dreck, and their backups would not get minutes on the Celtics.
I think their bench can be pretty good

G: Mario Chalmers = strong backup PG
G: Gerald Green = solid backup SG/SF
F: Justice Winslow = I expect Winslow to be a very good bench player
F: Josh McRoberts = good backup PF
C: Chris Andersen = good backup C

I hope McRoberts and C.Andersen do not lose minutes to Amare Stoudemire. I think that would hurt Miami. Haslem and Amare are good 3rd string options though if kept to those smaller roles. James Ennis as a third string SF/SG also.

Which of those players above gets any kind of consistent minutes on the C's?  Only Winslow would, and that would be as much due to draft status as any other reason.

I'm stating it here for posterity: The Heat miss the playoffs.

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I really don't get the love for the Heat.  They were mediocre when healthy.  Their record when Bosh was diagnosed with his blood clot was 23-30... He played most of the season prior to that.  Yes, they added Dragic, but a mostly-healthy Heat team without Dragic was a 35-win team.  The idea that the upgrade from Chalmers to Dragic is worth 10-15 wins is pretty laughable to me.  They're a year older, their bench is D-league dreck, and their backups would not get minutes on the Celtics.  If their starting 5 can play 30 minutes a game for 75 games, sure, they can be a good team.  But that's not happening.  I think it's more likely they don't crack 40 wins than they are able to get up to 50.

I am not sold on Miami's starting lineup.

(a) Whiteside is still a huge question mark. JaVale McGee-ish at times last season. Great (per minute) stats but often not having much of an impact on games.

(b) I think Bosh will have a large drop-off moving back to PF full time, sharing the ball with Dragic and Wade & because the perimeter players don't space the floor well enough so he'll have to spend an unhelpful amount of time out on the perimeter to open the offense for others. I don't think playing PF full time will be good for Bosh's health either (more stress on his knees).

(c) Dragic and Wade struggled a bit last season. They played better when roster was threadbare and they were allowed to dominate the ball. With a fully healthy roster and having to be more unselfish, I think both guys got a fair bit to prove that they can both function at a high level together. Probably diminished returns here as well.

(d) Offensive spacing. Whiteside scores mostly around the basket. Wade and Deng combine to make one of the least effective outside shooting wing combinations in the league. Lot of pressure on Dragic and Bosh to create effective spacing.

(e) Plus the whole Wade missing 20+ games a season. Bosh's health a concern still too.

I do like their bench though. I think that should be a strength for them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:59:48 PM by Who »

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 05:41:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I expect the Knicks to have an above .500 record if Melo is healthy. 

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Above .500 is a bit much, but I feel like they should hit 35 wins at least, so long as they can get plenty of minutes out of Afflalo, Melo, and Lopez, and their rookies give them some solid production.
- Mark Twain