Author Topic: 2015 NFL season  (Read 23578 times)

Re: 2015 NFL season
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2015, 02:18:05 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Seem inevitable that Panthers will get to 16-0.

Can they get to 19-0?

I'd be surprised if they don't go 16-0. As for 19-0, that's a whole other ballgame, as we Pats fans know all too well. Wouldn't surprise me to see them do it, but I always wonder if a young team that's not playoff-tested will hold up in the pressure cooker.

Speaking of the Panthers, how about the Josh Norman/OBJ stuff? I'm fine with the NFL suspending OBJ one game for spearing, but I can't believe the officials ever let it get to that point. It started with Norman throwing him to the ground, right in front of an official, but no flag was thrown. How does that happen?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not sure if there are other 'Skins fans here but if there are -- is anyone as shocked as I am that they're in first place in the division BY THEMSELVES this late in the season?  unbelievable.  I thought they'd be a wreck as long as Dan Snyder was affiliated with the team

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2015, 08:41:27 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
not sure if there are other 'Skins fans here but if there are -- is anyone as shocked as I am that they're in first place in the division BY THEMSELVES this late in the season?  unbelievable.  I thought they'd be a wreck as long as Dan Snyder was affiliated with the team

They are still a wreck, its just the whole division is wreckier. When you have a hard cap league, divisions with only 4 teams, and you guarantee each division "winner*" a playoff seed, its inevitable to have a .500 or worse playoff team.

*winner is generous, maybe "least loser" is better.

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Speaking of the Panthers, how about the Josh Norman/OBJ stuff? I'm fine with the NFL suspending OBJ one game for spearing, but I can't believe the officials ever let it get to that point. It started with Norman throwing him to the ground, right in front of an official, but no flag was thrown. How does that happen?
I can't believe Tom Coughlin ever let it get to that point.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:00:58 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

They are still a wreck, its just the whole division is wreckier. When you have a hard cap league, divisions with only 4 teams, and you guarantee each division "winner*" a playoff seed, its inevitable to have a .500 or worse playoff team.

*winner is generous, maybe "least loser" is better.

No offense to slam, but I think they need to change the rules so crappy teams don't make the playoffs, especially when it means decent teams sometimes get left out. Remember the season Brady missed? The Pats still went 11-5 but missed the playoffs?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2015, 03:51:20 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Seem inevitable that Panthers will get to 16-0.

Can they get to 19-0?

16-0?  Probably.  @ATL, TB isn't exactly a terrifying schedule.  Riverboat Ron also seems to be the type of coach that'll actually go for this unlike what Polian/Caldwell did with the '09 Colts.

I don't think they'll get to 19-0, though.  I really think there's a good chance that someone will pick them off in the NFC.  Most likely either AZ or SEA.   Someone made the analogy the other day that I kinda like.  "Carolina is Iowa and is gonna meet their Michigan State in the playoffs".  Essentially, what they've done is a bit of a mirage and is going to get exposed when they play some legit competition in the playoffs.  By my count, they've only played 4 playoff teams this entire season. 

Fun as heck team to watch, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2016, 08:49:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
AFC Playoffs:

1 - Denver
2 - New England
3 - Cincinnati
4 - Houston
5 - Kansas City
6 - Pittsburgh

Here's how I see it.

Wild Card

3 v 6 -- Pittsburgh wins a tough game on the road
4 v 5 -- Kansas City destroys Houston

Division

1 v 6 -- Pittsburgh wins a tough one in Denver, Peyton Manning comes into the game in the 4th to try and win it, but fails
2 v 5 -- Kansas City beats New England with a strong pass rush and running game

AFC Championship

5 v 6 -- Kansas City beats Pittsburgh in a high scoring affair, sacks Roethlisberger 7 times.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
AFC Playoffs:

1 - Denver
2 - New England
3 - Cincinnati
4 - Houston
5 - Kansas City
6 - Pittsburgh

Here's how I see it.

Wild Card

3 v 6 -- Pittsburgh wins a tough game on the road
4 v 5 -- Kansas City destroys Houston

Division

1 v 6 -- Pittsburgh wins a tough one in Denver, Peyton Manning comes into the game in the 4th to try and win it, but fails
2 v 5 -- Kansas City beats New England with a strong pass rush and running game

AFC Championship

5 v 6 -- Kansas City beats Pittsburgh in a high scoring affair, sacks Roethlisberger 7 times.

I wondet which is better for the pats.

They get a first round buy regardless. If they were the 1 seed they would have homefield throughout, but would have to play pittsburgh (scary) if they won, or KC/Hou if cincy won, despite cincy without dalton

As 2 seed, they get the buy, then they play dalton-less cincy at home if cincy wins, but if pitt wins, they get kc/hou (maybe better matchups than pitt). Then they only have to go on the road if Den beats pitt or kc/hou. Basically, denver is not invincible. Pitt is very scary. With the way it is now, pats avoid pitt and only go on the road if den can beat pitt/kc/hou.

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
New England has been super-flat, but I am going to assume they have just been trying to play safe and get as healthy as possible. I also think that they didn't want to expose any new plays or formations - it has always been about the playoffs.

It sucks that we would have to go to Denver should they win, but of all teams 3-6, Pittsburgh is definitely the one I want to play the least and there is no chance we will face them in the divisional round, so I guess that is good. Also, as Fan from VT said, there is no guarantee Denver wins, meaning we could still very well get home field for the AFC Championship.

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2016, 10:10:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The Steelers don't scare me.

Teams with solid QB play, a good running game, and a defense that can get to the QB scare me. Historically Brady has handled the Steelers just fine, and the Steelers defense is pretty weak this year.

The Chiefs look like the toughest matchup for the Pats, unless Dalton comes back for the Bengals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2016, 04:03:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Oh my goodness.  The Vikings are unbelievable.

How can anybody still be a fan of that team?  Just soul crushing.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
major choke job
Yup

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
major choke job

Some teams just find a way, time after time.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
major choke job
Having watched Viniateri and Gostkowski since the late 90s this means nothing to me. It's something other teams do in this situation