Author Topic: 2015 NFL season  (Read 23605 times)

Re: 2015 NFL season
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
In other news, the Ravens ran the "illegal" ineligible receiver play this weekend. Been reading that rulebook, Harbs?

It was a legal formation, though.   Pretty ironic that it was Harbaugh, of all people, to use it, though.
Didn't they change the rules for this season so that the ineligible guy has to line up in the tackle box? The RT on that play was in the slot.

edit: Oh, they did -- except the Ravens apparently put an actual LINEMAN split right -- wearing ineligible number and all.  ::) ::) ::)

Ineligible players wearing eligible numbers have to.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In other news, the Ravens ran the "illegal" ineligible receiver play this weekend. Been reading that rulebook, Harbs?

It was a legal formation, though.   Pretty ironic that it was Harbaugh, of all people, to use it, though.
Didn't they change the rules for this season so that the ineligible guy has to line up in the tackle box? The RT on that play was in the slot.

edit: Oh, they did -- except the Ravens apparently put an actual LINEMAN split right -- wearing ineligible number and all.  ::) ::) ::)

Right. Point is, splitting out someone wearing number 70-something is not very deceptive if you're paying attention.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Right. Point is, splitting out someone wearing number 70-something is not very deceptive if you're paying attention.
have to admit, it's a situation I'd like to see changed in the league where numbers don't matter and line-alignment doesn't matter.  I think it would open up the game more.  just my 2 cents.

Re: 2015 Patriots Football
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Tannehill sets NFL record with 25 straight completed passes after hitting his first 18 yesterday to go with the 7 straight from last week.  Tannehill finished the day 18 of 19, just missing out on a perfect day.

Just thought I would share some non-Patriots news.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 03:31:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tannehill sets NFL record with 25 straight completed passes after hitting his first 18 yesterday to go with the 7 straight from last week.  Tannehill finished the day 18 of 19, just missing out on a perfect day.

Tannehill and Fitzpatrick are both of a similar kind, I think.  The Tofu Quarterback.  Exactly as good as the team around him, no better and no worse.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The Tofu Quarterback.  Exactly as good as the team around him, no better and no worse.
... and very hard to stomach on their own  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Tannehill and Fitzpatrick are both of a similar kind, I think.  The Tofu Quarterback.  Exactly as good as the team around him, no better and no worse.
Yep.  I see this got moved to the football thread.  I put it in the Pats thread intentionally since Miami was New England's next opponent.  Oh well.

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So Yahoo put out a report that O'Brien wanted to release Mallet on Sunday before their game because he missed the team flight, but was overruled by the GM.  And now the report comes out that the Texans just released Mallet.  Interesting.

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Texans organization is a mess right now.  Sounds like their GM/coach relationship is pretty bad. 

O'Brien will probably be back in the college game next season.  I can't really see him being there another season the way things have played out this year.  Similar situation going on in Indy too but, at least, they're in first place albeit in the worse division in the NFL.

Mallett also deserved to get cut.

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Once again the Pats move on from a guy, get some kind of value, and it turns out the guy is a scrub / headcase.

Can't make it on the Pats, other teams probably shouldn't bother with ya.

Brian Hoyer continues to be a perfectly fine QB.  He's more or less in the Fitzpatrick tier.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Brian Hoyer continues to be a perfectly fine QB.  He's more or less in the Fitzpatrick tier.
Fitzpatrick is no world beater, but he's considerably more reliable than Hoyer, who is a career 57% passer.

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Interesting to see how the teams directly or indirectly involved with the so-called idea of Deflategate Karma are doing.

Colts (3-4):  Leading their division but internal strife between Pagano & Grigson.  Fake punt being the laughingstock play of the season so far.

Ravens: (1-6):  Tied for worst record in league. Can't win a close game to save their lives.  Still publicly complaining about refereeing.  Season looking like a lost cause now.

Texans (2-5):  See above situations involving Mallett, O'Brien, & Smith.

Cowboys (2-4):  Injuries killing the team.  Public backlash on this Hardy situation.

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Fitzpatrick is no world beater, but he's considerably more reliable than Hoyer, who is a career 57% passer.

Yeah, I put Fitzpatrick ahead of him for sure.  Fitzpatrick can run a bit, too, as he did against the Pats.

Still, Hoyer is in that "do no harm" category of QBs who can be a reliable steward of a team with some pieces.  He can pretty reliably give you a 250-300 yard game with 2-3 TDs and only one or two turnovers.  That's enough to win regular season games in the NFL, but not get anywhere in the playoffs.

The Texans, unfortunately, are a crappy team all around.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yeah, I put Fitzpatrick ahead of him for sure.  Fitzpatrick can run a bit, too, as he did against the Pats.

Still, Hoyer is in that "do no harm" category of QBs who can be a reliable steward of a team with some pieces.  He can pretty reliably give you a 250-300 yard game with 2-3 TDs and only one or two turnovers.  That's enough to win regular season games in the NFL, but not get anywhere in the playoffs.

Fitzpatrick actually had several half-decent seasons as a starter in Buffalo. Hoyer has still mostly been a backup, so the jury is still out. This season he's certainly outperforming his career numbers, so who knows.

I agree though that the common trend with this two is that you can't give them the ball and say "win me the game".

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Fitzpatrick actually had several half-decent seasons as a starter in Buffalo. Hoyer has still mostly been a backup, so the jury is still out. This season he's certainly outperforming his career numbers, so who knows.

I agree though that the common trend with this two is that you can't give them the ball and say "win me the game".

Right.  I think you could put either of them on, say, the Vikings, and they'd steer the team to wins provided the offensive line gave them enough time to throw.

That's really what we're talking about here -- QBs who can win games if they have an o-line that gives them time.  If they're under pressure, they're terrible, as are most QBs. 

Too many teams in the NFL rely on QBs who crap the bed even when they aren't under a ton of pressure.  That's what you can't survive as a team in the NFL.
- Mark Twain