Author Topic: Celtics Beat Podcast with Larry H. Russell  (Read 14500 times)

Re: Larry H. Russell
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Neurotic Guy: No I do not personally know John Lucas, but he does have a track record.   Yes he got his life back on track after urinating away what could have been a memorable NBA career but he's used that story - "don't do what I did" - and while he has benefited tremendously from it on a personal level, being able to maintain a career in an around the NBA since the early 90s, it's not like anyone else has.  In fact, it's more on record that he's hurt more people than he's hurt - Antonio McDyess being the most noted.  Being in basketball for so long, it's easy to gain connections and there's no doubt Lucas has put those connections to use.

Hard for me to let this pass.  "It's more on record that he's hurt more people than he's helped"?   That's a pretty strong statement.  I just spent some time searching for evidence of this and found none.  Couldn't find anything indicating how he hurt McDyess (McDyess' knee seems to be the biggest reason for AD's downfall).  But your statement implies a litany of players hurt by Lucas. Your comments are pretty strong and stated as fact rather than opinion.  I think you should link some supporting evidence.

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:22 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Neurotic Guy: Not sure if I could find it as it's probably smothered in the archives, however Antonio McDyess came out years and years ago and said that he was listening to the wrong people when it came to making career decisions, in his case it was signing with the Phoenix Suns or the Denver Nuggets.  Lucas snatched the ear of a young McDyess early in his career and became one of his mentors.  He then talked McDyess into returning to Denver, whom Lucas was working for Denver he finagled McDyess into returning there.  Dyess came out a few years later and talked about what a mistake that was and how he was taken advantage of being young.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 08:11:36 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
The situation is not "smothered" in the archives.   Google is a wondrous thing...????
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
LHR: Love the podcast, started listening to it at the gym every week back in July. Glad to see you read CB and post here. Huge thumbs up and a TP for that. It's nice to hear someone who's an actual fan of the team talk about them, rather than a guy like Felger or Tanguay who really don't care about the Celtics or basketball for that matter and get their kicks about p---ing off the fan base. Also the fact that you actually respond to and listen to your fans means a lot.

My only comment is about the plugs. I understand they are where the $$$ comes from but do you really love grass-fed beef that much? It's gotta be coming out of your ears at this point. hahaha  :P

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
thirstyboots: Found this regarding Lucas - feel there were more words out there but here's one instance of McDyess being upset he allowed Lucas to guide his decisions earlier in his career.  http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/8/21/6052219/throwback-thursday-antonio-mcdyess-departs-phoenix  Curious to see anyone he's really helped out.

number9 - thanks man! Actually am a massive proponent of clean eating, wise supplementation and appropriate exercise.  That's kind of what I'm talking about regarding what Sullinger is doing.  This all started when I read that Jackie Mac piece.  He seemed as befuddled as I was when I was running my body into the ground and starving myself.  It's a shame I figured it out too late because my hormones don't hum like they use to but I feel and look a lot better than I did during my days of lifestyle ignorance.

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
leaves more booze and drugs for the rest of us. Since this is a thread about you, Cheers to you for your healthy living!  :)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
D.o.s: Thank you. We're fortunately free to still make choices and decisions - for the time being I guess.  Happy to see any of that material that you so enjoy hasn't affected your posting and ability to talk Celtics.  Have thoroughly enjoyed your writing here over the years.

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Neurotic Guy: Not sure if I could find it as it's probably smothered in the archives, however Antonio McDyess came out years and years ago and said that he was listening to the wrong people when it came to making career decisions, in his case it was signing with the Phoenix Suns or the Denver Nuggets.  Lucas snatched the ear of a young McDyess early in his career and became one of his mentors.  He then talked McDyess into returning to Denver, whom Lucas was working for Denver he finagled McDyess into returning there.  Dyess came out a few years later and talked about what a mistake that was and how he was taken advantage of being young.

Still, your comment was: "In fact, it's more on record that he's (Lucas) hurt more people than he's helped".  I think your statement (stated factually) is possibly untrue.  Just sticks in my craw a little, but no big deal -- I appreciate your candid responses in this thread.

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
D.o.s: Thank you. We're fortunately free to still make choices and decisions - for the time being I guess.  Happy to see any of that material that you so enjoy hasn't affected your posting and ability to talk Celtics.  Have thoroughly enjoyed your writing here over the years.

LHR, I get the sense you are libertarian and I like it.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
LHR, the Eric Williams & Kenny Anderson episode revealed to me that you are south of 30 years old. That's kind of bananas to me because I definitely pictured you as a middle aged guy.

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 04:15:57 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
Thank you NeuroticGuy and JSD.

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2015, 07:28:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Wow. Ole Bobby Ryan smacked you around a little bit today, LHR. Lol. Great Podcast this morning. Good interview.

Re: Celtics Beat Podcast with Larry H. Russell
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sullinger has a right to be proud, with his body type losing weight can be difficult. If he isn't proud of what working out has done for him, he will stop working out and more weight. Don't try to shame him for working out. I know you disagree with the methods, but at least he is trying which is something that hasn't been said of Sullinger in the past.

I expect a big year from Sully. However, I think they should move him before the deadline, after he increases his value at the start of the season by being in the best shape of his career. If he is in great shape to start the year the Celtics can get more for him. I wouldn't sign him to a long term contract because I don't trust him to keep the weight off. His hard work this summer should be celebrated because it will increase his value and helps the C's long term.

I don't think we should congratulate him on something he should have been doing his whole career.  It is this kind of mindset that leads us to the NANNY STATE, where we do not hold people accountable for their actions.   Even his dad, I think is a little worried.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/10/elder_sullinger_sets_examplefor_his_son_by_shedding_weight

I expect they have a fair competition and the best man plays.   I also think we have options this year and they may not play a guy who is weak in defense and has shown conditioning issues and lack of professionalism now they have options.

If we resign him, there must be a weight clause, period.

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
JSD: Thanks, I admitted it don't worry.  He agreed with me on my two biggest premises all year!

Celtics4ever - Sullinger does have a weight clause.  I hate weight clauses.  It's so easy to 'lose weight' - just don't eat.  It's almost like drug tests.  Anyone can drop 10 lbs in a few days any time really.  The real thing to measure would be body fat.  Why not a body fat clause?

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
JSD: Thanks, I admitted it don't worry.  He agreed with me on my two biggest premises all year!

Celtics4ever - Sullinger does have a weight clause.  I hate weight clauses.  It's so easy to 'lose weight' - just don't eat.  It's almost like drug tests.  Anyone can drop 10 lbs in a few days any time really.  The real thing to measure would be body fat.  Why not a body fat clause?

Sully has a weight clause? How? He is still on his rookie contract.

I find it crazy that Satch lost 116lbs this offseason and he doesn't have a NBA career. Dang.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)