Author Topic: Celtics Beat Podcast with Larry H. Russell  (Read 14499 times)

Re: Larry H. Russell
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Not being snarky here, but just interested in knowing whether LHR really knows John Lucas and his level of expertise when it comes to fitness, or whether LHR is making assumptions about John Lucas' expertise based on Lucas' history of mistreating his own body as a younger man.   Lucas is 61 years old now, he appears to be in very good physical condition and appears to be an intelligent man.  He was kicked out of the NBA about 30 years ago.  He's had time to learn about fitness and about counseling people who may have addictive tendencies (not sure if this fits for Sully, but a person unable to restrict one's diet even at the cost of millions of dollars sounds like a man who may benefit from counseling).    Maybe Lucas is the right person for Sully?-- I have no idea.   Wondering what LHR's basis is for believing he isn't.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
HomerSapien: Apologies you find some of my opinions inflammatory.  I do my best to stray away from the average talk radio yahoo who form their opinions just to incite an audience and thus create intrigue and listenership.  I do everything I possibly can to stay away from that because that kind of analysis is a dime-a-dozen in the WWE-like mediaworld, but most importantlyl, it should be against anyone's principles,
TP. Thanks for the thoughtful response, Larry. You seem to often come at things from a contrarian perspective which I don't necessarily have a problem with. That can be refreshing and insightful when delivered in a fair and compelling manner, and can help me to either solidify or question my own opinions.  I hope that is the tone you strive to reflect in Celtics Beat, as opposed to the more inflammatory tactics of talk radio which I happily cut out of my life years ago.

Also, thanks for hosting a show dedicated to my favorite team in the world.  Regardless of my opinion on some of the views you express, the efforts that go into lining up/interviewing high quality guests and preparing content on a regular basis should be commended.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Not being snarky here, but just interested in knowing whether LHR really knows John Lucas and his level of expertise when it comes to fitness, or whether LHR is making assumptions about John Lucas' expertise based on Lucas' history of mistreating his own body as a younger man.   Lucas is 61 years old now, he appears to be in very good physical condition and appears to be an intelligent man.  He was kicked out of the NBA about 30 years ago.  He's had time to learn about fitness and about counseling people who may have addictive tendencies (not sure if this fits for Sully, but a person unable to restrict one's diet even at the cost of millions of dollars sounds like a man who may benefit from counseling).    Maybe Lucas is the right person for Sully?-- I have no idea.   Wondering what LHR's basis is for believing he isn't.

You make a good point. At the end of the day, after all the jokes we make with levity, his issues may well be consistent with criteria for 1/2 categories in the DSM-5. I mean that seriously, but respectfully.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 10:55:20 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Larry, does the "H" in "LHR" happen to stand for "Hondo"? Because you're 2/3 of the way to a perfect Celtics-fan name.

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Larry, does the "H" in "LHR" happen to stand for "Hondo"? Because you're 2/3 of the way to a perfect Celtics-fan name.

Seriously, right? And how much faster could you have responded to a topic devoted to you on CB (for somebody who doesn't post very often).

Keep up the good work and I am with you in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' situation with Sully. Love his skills and overall ability, but just expect so much more. Let's hope he can keep it together this year and in the future.

Also, I am not sure where people are getting this $12M number from for Sully. I expect him to be more in line with the $7-8M number of guys like Bradley, Crowder, or Morris. And if for some reason he is amazing this year and 'deserves' the $12M, all the better.

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 11:21:02 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
All the best everyone and thanks for listening to the show.  Means a lot to me, even if you could care less about my opinions. LHR

Thank you for doing the show. It's the best source of weekly Celtics discussion I've been able to find, and it's awesome that you keep it going during the dreariest parts of Summer, when basketball seems to be eons away.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 01:12:01 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Agree with what Max said.  I'm glad I stumbled onto your blog so that I can get some C's talk year round.

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 04:47:23 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Going to try and get to all of these, forgive me if I missed anyone and feel free to message again.

viulo: That'll be a tremendous issue.  It goes without saying that the most enjoyable team get-togethers are at bars and restaurants, and that'll be all but impossible for anyone to say "nah I'm good."  Particularly when even some team owners have stakes in North End joints too! But yeah, that's what I've been saying and I totally agree.  He'll be able to do what he's doing now but when that physical demand increases as well as an infinitely more stressful travel schedule is bestowed upon him when the season starts - I think it's all but a lock he regresses.  Like I told Kyle on the show, it's not a prediction, but it's a proclamation - he'll come in with tremendous energy, get off to a great start, but he will begin declining come January.  From an arrogant, short-sighted and selfish Celtics fan standpoint, I truly hope Boston capitalizes on what I feel will be a good start and moves him as soon as that December 15 date comes around which is generally the unofficial beginning of the trade season.

Neurotic Guy: No I do not personally know John Lucas, but he does have a track record.   Yes he got his life back on track after urinating away what could have been a memorable NBA career but he's used that story - "don't do what I did" - and while he has benefited tremendously from it on a personal level, being able to maintain a career in an around the NBA since the early 90s, it's not like anyone else has.  In fact, it's more on record that he's hurt more people than he's hurt - Antonio McDyess being the most noted.  Being in basketball for so long, it's easy to gain connections and there's no doubt Lucas has put those connections to use.

HomerSapien: Thank you.  I have no qualms about those who disagree with me and even criticize me personally for my opinions.  That's how the modern world works.  Even our best presidents (recently, which isn't saying much I guess) were never anything more than 65-70% approval rating...well except the two Bushes who held 90% at certain points and that tells you something there.

And yes, it is a hobby but in the Information Age, there's so much out there and the audience is intelligent enough now where if you try to skate by - people will see right through it and won't waste their time.  Likewise, while one may get attention with talk-radio yahoo personalities or FirstTake controlled diatribes and debates - that's a dime-a-dozen and so journalistically unethical that if there really was an afterlife, one would certainly go to hell for that.

GetLucky: LHR is Latin for Livius Horacius Russellius ;) ...uh sorta...

Jambr: Thank you, I actually read these boards almost every day - just don't normally hop in.  Kind of tough not to on an occasion like this when you see a thread which is your name and your name only but like most of everyone here, I read these forums and check celticsblog.com multiple times a day.  It's the best source for Celtics coverage anywhere and the posters in the forum provide a reasonable pulse of the general fan base and at the same time provide fantastic commentary as well.

And regarding what Sullinger is worth I definitely think he's shooting for an eight figure salary.  If he's giving you an efficient 16-9 and a 20 PER (which I believe was his PER up until the end of December last year) - how is that not worth 10-13M, especially with raising cap figures? It's not money I'd give him, but that almost assuredly would be his price on the open market, especially with David Falk as his agent who ended up getting Jeff Green, a guy who had done utterly nothing in the league his first four years in the league, a $40M extension from the Celtics themselves.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
It is nice to see you post (join the conversation) in the cb forums, Larry.  I hope to see more of your opinions here. tb
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I read the original post for this thread last night but didn’t get a chance to respond until now.

Larry is exactly the opposite of a reactionary, blow-hard, click-bait seeking media member. If you’ve ever listened to his show, he frequently criticizes the Felgers and Tanguays of the world (without naming names). Multiple times he’s ranted against the lazy, half-**ssed tropes against the Celtics and NBA players in general that we hear over and over (ie the Celtics will never land a big name free agent because Boston has no good night clubs). His show is, without exaggeration, the only place to get good listening on the Celtics.

The only criticism I have of Larry that relates to this thread is that he gets carried away with nutrition. Maybe it’s because he’s a health nut and he’s so passionate about America’s family farms:) For instance, Larry: Sullinger said in passing once that he eats fruit cups and you’ve crucified him over and over, as if he told us he’s going to Coldstone every night. Sheesh. And the fact that Sully is working out with John Lucas is curious, but it doesn’t mean he’s not serious about getting in shape or that he’s going down the wrong path. In other words, I’m fine with skepticism over Sullinger’s ability to stay in shape, but it’s not fair to rip him this hard, at least not right now.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
I read the original post for this thread last night but didn’t get a chance to respond until now.

Larry is exactly the opposite of a reactionary, blow-hard, click-bait seeking media member. If you’ve ever listened to his show, he frequently criticizes the Felgers and Tanguays of the world (without naming names). Multiple times he’s ranted against the lazy, half-**ssed tropes against the Celtics and NBA players in general that we hear over and over (ie the Celtics will never land a big name free agent because Boston has no good night clubs). His show is, without exaggeration, the only place to get good listening on the Celtics.

The only criticism I have of Larry that relates to this thread is that he gets carried away with nutrition. Maybe it’s because he’s a health nut and he’s so passionate about America’s family farms:) For instance, Larry: Sullinger said in passing once that he eats fruit cups and you’ve crucified him over and over, as if he told us he’s going to Coldstone every night. Sheesh. And the fact that Sully is working out with John Lucas is curious, but it doesn’t mean he’s not serious about getting in shape or that he’s going down the wrong path. In other words, I’m fine with skepticism over Sullinger’s ability to stay in shape, but it’s not fair to rip him this hard, at least not right now.

Once again, I appreciate the kind words so much and you listening to the show in the first place even more.

Re: The Sullinger fruit cup rant - haha, that was a while ago (maybe back in February or March??) - but it kind of makes it not about Sullinger but my point all along: He's just not educated and/or he's getting the wrong advice from the wrong people.  Once again, hate to turn this into nutrition and fitness discussion but if we are going to go there: One shouldn't be snacking in the first place if the goal is weight/fat loss.  When most need to cut body fat (including me - almost always in November after the summer I have excess water weight I don't like to see), it's never been more simple: Vince Gironda's steak and eggs! Or any other diet that minimizes carbs to literally zero. I just get the drift that someone is having Jared calorie counting which is stressful enough and using the age old chicken breasts, broccoli and endless cardio.  I'd love to know what he's actually doing as I am making assumptions based on what I've seen as well as the Jackie Mac article.  It would be fun to take about in itself.

Best wishes,

LHR

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm a fan of the podcast. I'm not a fan of the Sullinger dietary talk.

Sullinger has a right to be proud, with his body type losing weight can be difficult. If he isn't proud of what working out has done for him, he will stop working out and more weight. Don't try to shame him for working out. I know you disagree with the methods, but at least he is trying which is something that hasn't been said of Sullinger in the past.

I expect a big year from Sully. However, I think they should move him before the deadline, after he increases his value at the start of the season by being in the best shape of his career. If he is in great shape to start the year the Celtics can get more for him. I wouldn't sign him to a long term contract because I don't trust him to keep the weight off. His hard work this summer should be celebrated because it will increase his value and helps the C's long term.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
I'm a fan of the podcast. I'm not a fan of the Sullinger dietary talk.

Sullinger has a right to be proud, with his body type losing weight can be difficult. If he isn't proud of what working out has done for him, he will stop working out and more weight. Don't try to shame him for working out. I know you disagree with the methods, but at least he is trying which is something that hasn't been said of Sullinger in the past.

I expect a big year from Sully. However, I think they should move him before the deadline, after he increases his value at the start of the season by being in the best shape of his career. If he is in great shape to start the year the Celtics can get more for him. I wouldn't sign him to a long term contract because I don't trust him to keep the weight off. His hard work this summer should be celebrated because it will increase his value and helps the C's long term.

Thanks Evan.  That's how I feel too.  I am infinitely confident - in fact I 100% expect - Sullinger to come out of the gate hot.  Expect some big games, 20-10.  He has the skill, the talent and the footwork.  Even an out-of-shape-rusty Sullinger in Game 4 against Cleveland, once and a while he can get things going.  When he starts off the season in great shape, he should play great.  But I'm with you, that's the time hopefully to cash it...and for whatever it's worth.  Even if it's not much.

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I'm a big fan of the show and LHR's approach for the most part, I just think that being critical of the way someone looks is very easy when you hide your own image.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 03:26:34 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
JSD: I am being critical of his methods and those that surround him, which in turn is going to lead to, what I feel how Sullinger's upcoming season will transpire.  I do my best to stay far away from trolling him as an average media member would to be a bore.  It's just about adding X, Y, and Z.