Author Topic: Celtics Beat Podcast with Larry H. Russell  (Read 14504 times)

Celtics Beat Podcast with Larry H. Russell
« on: August 16, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I've never seen a picture of the guy (He hides his image pretty well), but with the way he talks about Sully, he better be no more than 8% bodyfat with a significant amount of muscle.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:18:47 AM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Larry H. Russell
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I've never seen a picture of the guy (He hides his image pretty well), but with the way he talks about Sully, he better be no more than 8% bodyfat with a significant amount of muscle.
it would be helpful to provide us all with context, reason, support for your points. it is hard to discuss something or someone when no information exists.

it would get this thread off to a better start if you might provide some background on who russell is, what he said, and why he said it.

thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:30:28 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Are there any other Celtics specific podcasts out there? I started listening to LHR a month or two ago, but really don't particularly like him. I find he spews a lot of inflammatory baseless venom and has some pretty uneducated opinions on matters of the Celtics.

There are some NBA podcasts I really enjoy (Dunc'd On, Basketball Insiders, The Starters, Believe the Hype) but no Celtics ones that are any good.

I'm a relatively new podcast junkie, but want to sort out my playlist for the upcoming season.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
it would be helpful to provide us all with context, reason, support for your points. it is hard to discuss something or someone when no information exists.

it would get this thread off to a better start if you might provide some background on who russell is, what he said, and why he said it.

thanks.

Russell is the author of Fall of the Boston Celtics and host of the Celtics Beat podcast, the #1 Celtics Podcast. In recent weeks, Russell has criticized Sully's Instagram campaign, where Sully is showing off his new physique, as an "Embarrassment" and has suggested that John Lucas, Sully's trainer, has no business being in that position.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Are there any other Celtics specific podcasts out there? I started listening to LHR a month or two ago, but really don't particularly like him. I find he spews a lot of inflammatory baseless venom and has some pretty uneducated opinions on matters of the Celtics.

There are some NBA podcasts I really enjoy (Dunc'd On, Basketball Insiders, The Starters, Believe the Hype) but no Celtics ones that are any good.

I'm a relatively new podcast junkie, but want to sort out my playlist for the upcoming season.

Celtics Beat is really the only one I know of. As far as general basketball, The Lowe Post is by far the best right now until Simmons makes his triumphant return.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
LHR is on these boards; I really hope he sees this post :)
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
He's just another guy that distracts himself from hating himself by criticizing athletes
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
LHR is actually right in his assessment of Sullinger. There is a huge difference in losing weight and losing fat. On average, the max a person should be losing to conserve muscle is approximately 2 lbs a week. Crash dieting/caloric restriction is something that might yield an immediate return, but it's simply not sustainable long term. It's also something that can potentially damage ones metabolism. Metabolic damage is a very real thing, and would take several months of reverse dieting to repair it back to normal maintenance levels.

Sullinger would be much better served, if he's not doing so already, in counting macros and cutting them modestly once he hits plateaus. This would ensure that he's at a slight reduction from maintenance levels and any muscle lost would be kept to a minimum.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:39:59 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 05:21:49 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Hah, I saw this. First off, I always appreciate those who listen since I have a lot of fun doing it.  Want to bang out some quick responses before I get to watch the PGA.

HomerSapien: Apologies you find some of my opinions inflammatory.  I do my best to stray away from the average talk radio yahoo who form their opinions just to incite an audience and thus create intrigue and listenership.  I do everything I possibly can to stay away from that because that kind of analysis is a dime-a-dozen in the WWE-like mediaworld, but most importantlyl, it should be against anyone's principles,

JSD: I think Sullinger and my takes on no necessarily him, but what he's been doing are one of the few negative aspects I've touched upon with the Celtics, particularly over the past year.  And it's based upon what I see and even saw last year.  I commend the guy for trying, but with millions of dollars on the line - it's not about trying, it's about results - just black and white, no more.  And tell me, if you're trying to get in the best physical condition possible, would you feel it is wise to invest in John Lucas of all people? So because he threw away what could and would have been a stellar career with drugs and other screwups all of a sudden makes this man a Vince Gironda-esque physical fitness guru?

Eddie20: I believe it was you whom I spoke to last year. Forgive me if my memory is off, but I remember we talked about how Sullinger "slimmed down" last year and actually gained weight DURING the season.  You just made a great post there as well.  But I remember before the Jackie Mac piece and Sullinger was in his funk around January - it was so visible that he he gained a significant amount of weight during the year.  So it kind of adds up again - he's likely doing what he did last year to trim down and shed weight, but minimal fat.  That generally never works for anyone let alone a basketball player who is now just two months away from playing possibly four games a week.  Once that comes, a demand for eating (and eating carbs no less) increases and thus the weight will return - even though he'd technically be burning more calories per day than he is now.  From a personal standpoint, I'm extraordinarily active during the summer months, walking upwards to 12 miles a day, lot of hiking - I tell myself I need to stop doing it but I can't give in.  However, year after year I put on body fat all the time during the summer because I end up eating more fruit, cucumbers, salads, etc and gain a lot of water weight just to accommodate myself.  Then of course, when the winter comes I can cut down to a physique I like more because I can zero carb it AND have infinite more energy for my workouts because I'm not draining myself the same way Sullinger is about to do so once the season starts.

All the best everyone and thanks for listening to the show.  Means a lot to me, even if you could care less about my opinions. LHR
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Tommy point Larry Russ dog, I loved Sully's upside, but I'm jumping on the hate train. Trade him for a crappy first whatever we can get do it Danny. Don't pay this turd nugget 12 million a year. Just draft another guy who's actually athletic. Lord knows we have the pics to do so.

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Well I do feel bad for him, in a way.  He's just getting the wrong advice.  I also personally hate the weight clause as well.  Anyone can 'lose weight' - anyone can go on a cardio-binge and restrict food and drop pounds.  I used to run long distance, and at one point in my life for an extended time I was 125-130 lbs at 6'1" - thinking that was best for running long distance - carrying as little weight as possible.  And for me to obtain that I severely damaged my hormones, a lot of things in my body.  Wasn't until I got the right advice in which I can maximise my own physical outputs but even then, it had been a bit too late.  Wish I knew what I know now than I did 10-15 years ago, and I wish the same for Jared Sullinger right now but that clearly doesn't seem to be the case and thus I firmly believe that will affect his basketball career in a negative way.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Holy crap Larry! 6'1" 125 pounds! We can lipo the fat out of Sully and straight to Larry! JK of course!

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've never particularly liked any of the CLNS people.  Seem very amateurish.

That's just my impression based on what I've seen on Twitter and the few times I've tried watching some of the CelticsBeat stuff.  Maybe I'm missing some of their better content.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hah, I saw this. First off, I always appreciate those who listen since I have a lot of fun doing it.  Want to bang out some quick responses before I get to watch the PGA.

HomerSapien: Apologies you find some of my opinions inflammatory.  I do my best to stray away from the average talk radio yahoo who form their opinions just to incite an audience and thus create intrigue and listenership.  I do everything I possibly can to stay away from that because that kind of analysis is a dime-a-dozen in the WWE-like mediaworld, but most importantlyl, it should be against anyone's principles,

JSD: I think Sullinger and my takes on no necessarily him, but what he's been doing are one of the few negative aspects I've touched upon with the Celtics, particularly over the past year.  And it's based upon what I see and even saw last year.  I commend the guy for trying, but with millions of dollars on the line - it's not about trying, it's about results - just black and white, no more.  And tell me, if you're trying to get in the best physical condition possible, would you feel it is wise to invest in John Lucas of all people? So because he threw away what could and would have been a stellar career with drugs and other screwups all of a sudden makes this man a Vince Gironda-esque physical fitness guru?

Eddie20: I believe it was you whom I spoke to last year. Forgive me if my memory is off, but I remember we talked about how Sullinger "slimmed down" last year and actually gained weight DURING the season.  You just made a great post there as well.  But I remember before the Jackie Mac piece and Sullinger was in his funk around January - it was so visible that he he gained a significant amount of weight during the year.  So it kind of adds up again - he's likely doing what he did last year to trim down and shed weight, but minimal fat.  That generally never works for anyone let alone a basketball player who is now just two months away from playing possibly four games a week.  Once that comes, a demand for eating (and eating carbs no less) increases and thus the weight will return - even though he'd technically be burning more calories per day than he is now.  From a personal standpoint, I'm extraordinarily active during the summer months, walking upwards to 12 miles a day, lot of hiking - I tell myself I need to stop doing it but I can't give in.  However, year after year I put on body fat all the time during the summer because I end up eating more fruit, cucumbers, salads, etc and gain a lot of water weight just to accommodate myself.  Then of course, when the winter comes I can cut down to a physique I like more because I can zero carb it AND have infinite more energy for my workouts because I'm not draining myself the same way Sullinger is about to do so once the season starts.

All the best everyone and thanks for listening to the show.  Means a lot to me, even if you could care less about my opinions. LHR

And you get a Tommy Point for explaining yourself.
I don't listen to podcasts, so I don't know the difference between what you said and what you wrote here, so I won't criticize or defend you (not that you'd need that).
What I know is that it's difficult for people who gain weight easily to be in an environment where almost everyone is different - I imagine it'll be frustrating for Sully, during the season, to find himself in, let's say, Cleveland, going out to dinner with some team mate and seeing him eat all the stuff he can't eat... But what makes a good professional is the ability to make sacrifices...
I sincerely doubt Sully will manage to keep his weight down, because to me he's doing stuff he won't be able to do during the season. But I understand his need to advertise his work - even if you and me think he's doing it wrong, he's shouting, hey, I'm trying, I'm not lazy (give me my 12M contract...!).

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So what is a kind of chubby Sullinger with 16ppg, 9 rpg worth? Assuming that these fitness gurus are all correct about him continuing to face weight problems..

Also, if it is the case that it is impossible for Sully to maintain his weight at an acceptable level for someone who is paid millions of dollars a year to be employed in a job where fitness is kind of a big aspect to the job; then that is truly sad.

P.s. I'm gonna eat ice-cream on pizza and return to my underpaid job tomorrow.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.