Author Topic: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League  (Read 38473 times)

Re: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I think Arsenal should drop Ozil for the Barcelona games. Play a central midfielder instead of Ozil. Someone who will do a bit more graft. I don't think Arsenal will have enough of the ball to properly utilize Ozil against Barca.

Flamini as holding midfielder with Wilshere and Ramsey as CMs.
Then A.Sanchez and T.Walcott as wide players running from wings to join Giroud or Welbeck.

Drop one of the best, if not the best player in the team? I understand the logic of it, but that's killing whatever chance we have to score. Arsenal would still need him on the counter to pass that long ball. No one else in the team can do that, the other being Santi Cazorla, is not going to be fit until March.

Wilshere is still hurt, don't even know when he's going to come back.

Too bad you don't still have Alex Song; he was terrific as a creative long passer from deep.  Whenever he gets healthy and fit again, maybe Arsenal should take a look at bringing him back.  He'd cost nowt, but could be an effective box-to-box for you. By the way, old friend Nigel de Jong is available for 2-3 million euros from AC Milan.  You could do a lot worse - City have never really recovered our former defensive form since Mancini forced him out, and he's already proven he can excel in England.   

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Arsenal should drop Ozil for the Barcelona games. Play a central midfielder instead of Ozil. Someone who will do a bit more graft. I don't think Arsenal will have enough of the ball to properly utilize Ozil against Barca.

Then A.Sanchez and T.Walcott as wide players running from wings to join Giroud or Welbeck.

Drop one of the best, if not the best player in the team? I understand the logic of it, but that's killing whatever chance we have to score. Arsenal would still need him on the counter to pass that long ball. No one else in the team can do that, the other being Santi Cazorla, is not going to be fit until March.

Too bad you don't still have Alex Song; he was terrific as a creative long passer from deep.  Whenever he gets healthy and fit again, maybe Arsenal should take a look at bringing him back.  He'd cost nowt, but could be an effective box-to-box for you. By the way, old friend Nigel de Jong is available for 2-3 million euros from AC Milan.  You could do a lot worse - City have never really recovered our former defensive form since Mancini forced him out, and he's already proven he can excel in England.

Oh, I like that. De Jong would be great for Arsenal. Suitable stop-gap option while Coquelin is out injured and can return to a reserve role once Coquelin is back in shape. Premier League experience. Cheap price tag. Perfect signing.

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2015, 10:58:39 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Oh, I like that. De Jong would be great for Arsenal. Suitable stop-gap option while Coquelin is out injured and can return to a reserve role once Coquelin is back in shape. Premier League experience. Cheap price tag. Perfect signing.

Nigel's a bit old, so he could play alongside Coquelin for the Barca matches.  He's actually a much better long than short or intermediary passer, but as everyone knows, he's a wrecking ball with few discernable ball skills.  However, he alone can stiffen the spine of any squad, and he's a very intelligent player. 

By the way, I think your suggestion about dropping Özil against Barca is worth considering.  As you suggested, I'd rather be solid in the middle and attack with blinding pace down the wings on the counter with Alexis and Walcott.  Here's another possibility:  play Walcott up top with Özil on a wing at the Emirates, but not at the Camp Nou. 

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Juve should be ashamed for not winning the group. Only we would beat Manchester City twice and then still manage to not win the group. Only we would need just a draw to win the group in the final match and still lose. We deserve to face Bayern and will probably lose to the club we handed Vidal and Coman to. Shameful ending to the summer mercato for Juve. And shameful ending to the Champions League groups.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2016, 08:48:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Juve should be ashamed for not winning the group. Only we would beat Manchester City twice and then still manage to not win the group. Only we would need just a draw to win the group in the final match and still lose. We deserve to face Bayern and will probably lose to the club we handed Vidal and Coman to. Shameful ending to the summer mercato for Juve. And shameful ending to the Champions League groups.

Read from Sky Sports that Juve is readying a bid for Ilkay Gundogan. He's not Vidal when it comes to tackling, but he should provide good midfield option for your boys.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Read from Sky Sports that Juve is readying a bid for Ilkay Gundogan. He's not Vidal when it comes to tackling, but he should provide good midfield option for your boys.

What's the status of his back condition?  Looks like neither of our clubs deserved to win today, but both did...whew!  :-[

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2016, 11:18:07 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

That would be great but I just don't see it because we usually don't spend money in January. After making the champions league final and after our summer sales we have money to spend its just a matter of if they decide to actually spend it. You can't be a top club unless your front office believes it and our front office has a small club mentality. We need to make a big January signing and make it past Bayern for me to forgive the club for their major mistakes. The end of the summer was a train wreck but it would be all forgiven if we make a big January signing. The end of the group stages was also a train wreck but it would all be forgiven if we advanced. The club put themselves in this position, and must be held accountable.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2016, 02:16:34 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

As a City fan, I fully commiserate with you, as our CL group was a bizarre affair, to say the least.  That being said, best of luck to the Old Lady; I will be viewing your two ties against Bayern and pulling hard for your club. 

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2016, 02:44:16 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think it's safe to post this here.

Rafa Benitez SACKED. Zinedine Zidane will replace him.

http://www.espnfc.com/real-madrid/story/2768232/real-madrid-sack-rafa-benitez-name-zinedine-zidane-as-coach

Rafa Benitez has been sacked as Real Madrid manager less than seven months after he was appointed and former player Zinedine Zidane has been named as coach, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said on Monday.

I mean, I get the move. But half way thru?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think it's safe to post this here.

Rafa Benitez SACKED. Zinedine Zidane will replace him.

http://www.espnfc.com/real-madrid/story/2768232/real-madrid-sack-rafa-benitez-name-zinedine-zidane-as-coach

Rafa Benitez has been sacked as Real Madrid manager less than seven months after he was appointed and former player Zinedine Zidane has been named as coach, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said on Monday.

I mean, I get the move. But half way thru?

It was pretty much clear that the players didn t like him. The championship is imho out of reach so they ll try to win the cl

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought they should have given Rafa the full season. He has had some super Champions League runs in the past.

Reports were that Zidane was underwhelming / underachieving at Real Madrid B team. But Real do not really need a manger ... Zidane can be their cheerleader. Like Di Matteo was for Chelsea. Bad managers but inspirational voice on an experienced squad who already know how to win. It could work for a short period.

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Rafa's super runs are long. I always thought of him as a bad choice.
I don t like zizou also as a first coach. I doubt he ll be a decent Cl level coach. And his real b past isn t encouraging. He has already asked for the return of iker.....

But i totaly agree that today  real needs a babysitter rather than a real coach .

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2016, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Rafa's super runs are long. I always thought of him as a bad choice.
I don t like zizou also as a first coach. I doubt he ll be a decent Cl level coach. And his real b past isn t encouraging. He has already asked for the return of iker.....

But i totaly agree that today  real needs a babysitter rather than a real coach .

And that's what they've got now, a babysitter.  This won't work out well for RM, this season, or beyond.

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
There is chance that zizou turns out to be the next big thing in coaching
i highly doubt it so he won t be a good solution in the long term

RM now doesn t need an X n O guy but someone their stars will respect and play for ... that wasn t the case with rafa

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
There is chance that zizou turns out to be the next big thing in coaching
i highly doubt it so he won t be a good solution in the long term

RM now doesn t need an X n O guy but someone their stars will respect and play for ... that wasn t the case with rafa

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...