Author Topic: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League  (Read 38457 times)

Re: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
So it's PSG - Real Madrid - Shaktar Donesk - Malmo

I don't know much about Malmo, but the rest reached the Knockout Stage last year. That's a brutal group.

Malmo are no mugs. They are very good at digging in and counter attacking as their games against Celtic in the qualifier showed.

There is no such thing as an "easy" CL Group stage match!  Play your best and take your chances, or you will lose in these fixtures.  I'm a Man City fan, so I know all about this dreadful phenomenon... :'( ;)

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't know much about Malmo, but the rest reached the Knockout Stage last year. That's a brutal group.

Malmo are no mugs. They are very good at digging in and counter attacking as their games against Celtic in the qualifier showed.

There is no such thing as an "easy" CL Group stage match!  Play your best and take your chances, or you will lose in these fixtures.  I'm a Man City fan, so I know all about this dreadful phenomenon... :'( ;)

That's true. But there's always the Group of Death.

It's understandable that there's no easy group, but as a club, you'd atleast try to avoid a tough group to ensure a top 16 finish.

You guys, for two years in a row, are in a tough group. While I get that Zenit is no easy way out, I'm pretty sure your boys would rather have them in their group than Juventus.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

That's true. But there's always the Group of Death.

It's understandable that there's no easy group, but as a club, you'd atleast try to avoid a tough group to ensure a top 16 finish.

You guys, for two years in a row, are in a tough group. While I get that Zenit is no easy way out, I'm pretty sure your boys would rather have them in their group than Juventus.

It's actually THREE years in a row.  Hey, at this point, I expect City to always get the toughest group.  This time, however, I think it is possible to win this group, but it will take consistency of form throughout our six group matches to achieve that.  No easy matches in our group, and Sevilla is an exceptionally tough 3rd pot opponent. 

Thank heavens we won't have to face old friend Carlos Tevez in the Juve fixtures! 

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I feel like it's rigged. Manchester City are always in a tough group every year, and the other english clubs never get hard groups. All the other english clubs should have no trouble advancing this year. I think Juve and Manchester City will ultimately advance from our group but we both easily got the hardest group.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I feel like it's rigged. Manchester City are always in a tough group every year, and the other english clubs never get hard groups. All the other english clubs should have no trouble advancing this year. I think Juve and Manchester City will ultimately advance from our group but we both easily got the hardest group.

It is because they had no history in Europe until recently so they have been a low seeded team until now. Anytime you are in the third or fourth pot, odds are you are going to end up in a tough group because you are going to be paired with a first seed + second seed instead of one of the bottom seeds. Teams like Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd often got easier groups because they were a top seeded or 2nd seeded team so they were matched up against more bottom seeded teams.

City were unlucky this year. They were a 2nd pot team. Their first time out of the 4th and 3rd seed groups I believe. Things should be better for them in the future now that they have worked their way out of the bottom pots.

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

It is because they had no history in Europe until recently so they have been a low seeded team until now. Anytime you are in the third or fourth pot, odds are you are going to end up in a tough group because you are going to be paired with a first seed + second seed instead of one of the bottom seeds. Teams like Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd often got easier groups because they were a top seeded or 2nd seeded team so they were matched up against more bottom seeded teams.

City were unlucky this year. They were a 2nd pot team. Their first time out of the 4th and 3rd seed groups I believe. Things should be better for them in the future now that they have worked their way out of the bottom pots.

That's what I'm saying tho, Manchester City was in the same pot as Manchester United and Arsenal but got in a much harder group. And Juve was in pot 1 but we got the hardest group

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
That thought has also crossed my mind a couple of times the last few years! City have always been drawn in a tough group and this year is no exception. The thing that annoys me the most is how "lucky" United have been. They always seem to draw the easy teams ::)

For the sake of Italian football, I hope that you are right in regards to Juve and City advancing in the Group D. The teams in Serie A have been really bad in the European competitions (Napoli and Lazio was a big disappointment this year) which is why I'm hoping that Juve and Roma can make Italy proud by their performance in the UEFA Champions League. Our National team is already suffering from how bad our domestic league has become :-X
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
That thought has also crossed my mind a couple of times the last few years! City have always been drawn in a tough group and this year is no exception. The thing that annoys me the most is how "lucky" United have been. They always seem to draw the easy teams ::)

For the sake of Italian football, I hope that you are right in regards to Juve and City advancing in the Group D. The teams in Serie A have been really bad in the European competitions (Napoli and Lazio was a big disappointment this year) which is why I'm hoping that Juve and Roma can make Italy proud by their performance in the UEFA Champions League. Our National team is already suffering from how bad our domestic league has become :-X

Serie A was very good in Europa League last year. I kno it sounds bad but I root against the other Serie A clubs in Champions League but root for them in Europa League. More money for Juve and more coefficient points for Serie A

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Serie A was very good in Europa League last year. I kno it sounds bad but I root against the other Serie A clubs in Champions League but root for them in Europa League. More money for Juve and more coefficient points for Serie A
Can't blame you, I did the same when Milan was in the CHL but that feels like a millennium ago.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

Can't blame you, I did the same when Milan was in the CHL but that feels like a millennium ago.

Imo our national team is bad because Serie A clubs don't trust young Italian players. Even Juve picked Dybala instead of Berardi. Dybala is a very good young player imo, but so is Berardi and he should be at a bigger club than Sassuolo.

Imo our league is not what it once was because of poor ownership. Of course calciopoli also wrecked Serie A. Old stadiums, outdated tactics, bad economy, poor marketing etc have contributed to poor European performance which has caused our league to be less popular worldwide.

I hate almost everyone else besides Juve in Serie A, but I do want Serie A and of course the national team to rise again.

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 02:29:34 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

As a Man City fan, I'm looking forward to playing home-and-away against la Vecchia Signora, a fantastic club with such a rich history.  Sevilla and Gladbach are also great old clubs - just viewed the latter's Bundesliga game from last weekend, as well as Sevilla's last match.  The only question in my mind is whether or not City can finish ahead a Juve, but I agree that both our clubs are highly likely to advance.  Sevilla have struggled so far, but I'm sure they'll be supremely motivated for the CL matches.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:38:58 AM by Sixth Man »

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Manchester United losing to PSV 2-1. No answer for their counter attack.

Edit: United lost 2-1. PSV has an awesome crowd.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:42:49 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Luke Shaw seems to have broken his leg after a nasty challenge. It's bad to worse for United.

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Pellegrini was badly outmanaged today.  In addition, this core of City players will never succeed in the CL, as it has become a psychological issue for them, and an intractable one at that.