Author Topic: Carmelo to Cleveland calling it now.  (Read 12569 times)

Re: Carmelo to Cleveland calling it now.
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
And DOS, Tp that is my favorite clip ever.

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I don't see Melo or Lebron liking  this. Love fits much better with Cleveland if he is willing to take the 3rd banana role like he has said he would. He spaces the floor much better and rebounds much better.

Pearl Jam, respectfully disagree. Melo Avg over 8 RPG two years ago. Melo is a much better player overall. And He would play more minutes than Love because he's more versatile and he can play the three and four.
 Plus as an ISO scorer is not even close and the Cavs could have really used that in the finals.  Love didn't play granted but he's a spot up shooter for them who rebound and they don't even play him major minutes.

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm not seeing it. Even if they move Love and somehow get Melo I'm not so sure the Cavs would want him. I don't see him blending well with Cleveland, who already has enough ball hogs. He plays the same SF/PF position that Lebron already plays. He's 31 years old with a lot of miles on those tires. I just don't see the synergy.

It could happen, I just don't think it's all that likely to happen. Frankly, if Melo goes anywhere I suspect it will be to replace Kobe in LA after he retires.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Okay... Lets entertain this then...

Melo averaged over 8 RPG 2 years ago, and he was strictly starting at the PF position. Where he also played the most minutes of his NBA career of 38.7. Since you want to use Melo's best year rebounding, then lets use Love's 2010-2011, where he averaged 15.2 RPG. That is almost twice as much, in 2 fewer minutes.

Melo has also averaged 34.2% on 3P, whereas Love has averaged 36% with .5 more 3PA.

Melo has more points and assists, but he's also coming off a serious knee injury at an age where regression is due to happen. Love is reaching his prime coming off a dislocated shoulder that was indirectly caused by a player.

I didn't mean to come off as a jerk KG Living Legend, but... Sure small ball is becoming more and more popular, (by the way I still think Love is 6'7-6'8 and not 6'10,) but Love is a great rebounder, perfect on outlet passes on the fast break, and can shoot the 3 better. I just don't think the Cavs would ever do this. It just doesn't make sense, especially since Melo is getting paid more, and is a type of guy who wants to MARKET himself. Cleveland isn't not marketable.

Yes I would take Melo over Love this year, but I'm not too sure anymore. Both are injury prone, but one is due for a regression, while the other has many concerns with staying healthy, but will have plenty of years to dissuade that.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Every time Anthony has been in a position to play with players like James he has played the way Love was expected to this year in Cleveland.

I also think that the chemistry between James and Anthony would translate into a more natural offense than what we saw with Love in Cleveland last year, but there's no way Anthony leaves New York -- weird that he gets knocked for that, since so many fans seem to want players to enjoy playing for their franchises and would appreciate if they stayed there when given the option.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
La La Anthony won't allow it.
this times a million
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
if we're throwing out insane trades then let's go all in. Love for Melo. Kyrie for Paul. Dwyane Wade for David Blatt. No coach, no plays. Just... CP3, LBJ, Melo, Wade, and Ivan Drago. Who doesn't want to watch that? Likely Chalmers is brought in to absorb various scorn

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Every time Anthony has been in a position to play with players like James he has played the way Love was expected to this year in Cleveland.

I also think that the chemistry between James and Anthony would translate into a more natural offense than what we saw with Love in Cleveland last year, but there's no way Anthony leaves New York -- weird that he gets knocked for that, since so many fans seem to want players to enjoy playing for their franchises and would appreciate if they stayed there when given the option.

When has Anthony ever played with players like James? The only thing I recall is the Olympics when Anthony lead the team in scoring, was one of if not the best player, and was dynamic playing at power foward.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:08:03 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
He's played for something like 12 USA teams. Many of them have been with LeBron. All of them show what Anthony can do when he's not the only talented player on his team.

http://www.usab.com/basketball/players/mens/a/anthony-carmelo.aspx
http://www.usab.com/basketball/players/mens/j/james-lebron.aspx
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 05:10:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
So to clarify. Do you think the Cavs would be better or worse with Anthony instead of Love.

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Better.

But I don't think he leaves NY.

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 05:11:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Better.

I'd agree with this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Better.

I'd agree with this.
He does, but it would only be for like a couple of seasons and I don't think Cleveland needs that slight improvement to win the title.  Thus, I don't think they would make the trade.  Cleveland is banking on a 10 year dynasty centered around Irving and Love after James starts to wear down.  Anthony makes them a bit better the next couple of seasons (but Cleveland will probably win a title in the next season or two anyway), but appreciably worse down the line.  Thus, I don't think Cleveland trades Love for Anthony.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It's not impossible, but I think Love is a better fit than Melo for Cleveland. He doesn't need as many touches as Melo to make an impact, while being nearly as good a 1-on-1 scorer. If they were to do a superstar swap I think they'd want someone who's more of a two-way player. What I'd most love to see is Lebron playing with CP3, now that would be a treat.

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Better.

I'd agree with this.
He does, but it would only be for like a couple of seasons and I don't think Cleveland needs that slight improvement to win the title.  Thus, I don't think they would make the trade.  Cleveland is banking on a 10 year dynasty centered around Irving and Love after James starts to wear down.  Anthony makes them a bit better the next couple of seasons (but Cleveland will probably win a title in the next season or two anyway), but appreciably worse down the line.  Thus, I don't think Cleveland trades Love for Anthony.

Are you sure that Love wants to stay in Cleveland after James starts to decline? It seemed to me that he left Minnesota because he didn't want to be the best player stuck on a team with an incompetent front office... that seems fairly similar to what would happen in CLE post-James, assuming Kyrie is never really able to put together a truly healthy season.