Author Topic: Greg Oden headed to the Kings....  (Read 5847 times)

Greg Oden headed to the Kings....
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:33:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
....the Jiangxu Tongxi Monkey Kings that is, of the CBA.

http://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/greg-oden-headed-china-tongxi

After years on the sidelines and operating tables, Greg Oden appears to have found a way back into professional basketball. Remarkably, that route will be via the Jiangxu Tongxi Monkey Kings, one of the CBA’s youngest teams. The reported acquisition of the top pick in the 2007 NBA draft is a massive coup for the organization, and for the Oden, it represents the chance to be a basketball player once again.

The Monkey Kings, who went 10-28 in their first season in the CBA, have been incredibly active in the last few days. Oden’s signing comes less than a day after the team inked Palestinian big man Sani Sakakini as their “third foreign player,” a clause that allows teams finishing in the bottom five of the previous year’s CBA to recruit an additional “Asian” (non-American) import. The Palestinian territories are regarded as part of the Middle East region, which in turn is considered Asian under FIBA boundary rules.

The willingness of the Tongxi front office to think outside the box was further highlighted when the team also picked up Von Wafer as their final import. By then, Wafer had been banned for six games in the aftermath of a brawl in last season’s CBA playoffs. However, Tongxi is willing to eat the lengthy ban if it meant it could secure one of the league’s best foreign guards for the remainder of the 2015-16 campaign. The talented but unpredictable Wafer, with few other options, has reportedly signed with the only team willing to roll the dice.

But Oden is the biggest gamble of the lot. Having been robbed of a successful NBA career by injuries, the sheer potential of the big man means that teams have continued to keep giving him a shot. The question now is if Oden can stay healthy. Should that be the case, he has a good chance at being an effective center in the CBA, where few local big men will be strong enough to compete under the rim. Make no mistake, Wafer is going to be the featured scorer for Tongxi, but Oden will still be getting the ball.

According to a recent article on Sina Sports, the center is expected to arrive in Changzhou, Tongxi’s home city, by the end of the month. Meanwhile, Chinese basketball is already abuzz with curiosity at what kind of player Oden might be. If he’s healthy (and this is a big if), the American could be an unlikely star in the CBA — and all thanks to the bold thinking of the Tongxi front office.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Greg Oden headed to the Kings....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That Title.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
we'll see if he can stay healthy in a Chinese league, I think this move helps him more than harm, he struggles to stay on an NBA team and he isn't getting much minutes...if he can survive a full season with the CBA, he might end up getting another chance with the NBA with more minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Really surprised by this. So surprised that I wonder if it's a hoax.

Would never have pegged Oden to try to revive his NBA career so far from home. Huge culture adjustment for him.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Hmmm. Sportando is reporting that Oden is heading to China for a "one-week workout" later this month, after which he could sign a one-year deal.

http://www.sportando.com/en/world/asia/172454/greg-oden-to-work-out-for-chinese-team-jiangsu-kentier.html

So perhaps Oden hasn't signed anything yet?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »

Offline Nemam Nabytek

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
sorry for a dumb question, but for a couple of years i've been trying to figure out what DKC stands for . . . i doubt very much that posters are discussing the Detroit Kennel Club or Donkey Kong Country . . . can someone please clue me in?

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Don't the Kings have enough big men as it is?
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 08:15:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Hmmm. Sportando is reporting that Oden is heading to China for a "one-week workout" later this month, after which he could sign a one-year deal.

http://www.sportando.com/en/world/asia/172454/greg-oden-to-work-out-for-chinese-team-jiangsu-kentier.html

So perhaps Oden hasn't signed anything yet?
I hope he makes it. That dude deserves a little something. Such terrible luck.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
He should have signed with the Phoenix Suns----he would be an All Star this year.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Don't the Kings have enough big men as it is?

Not Sacramento

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
China? Hm..

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
sorry for a dumb question, but for a couple of years i've been trying to figure out what DKC stands for . . . i doubt very much that posters are discussing the Detroit Kennel Club or Donkey Kong Country . . . can someone please clue me in?

Supposedly it stands for

David Kahn Challenge

.... And they're all nerdz  :P ;D :-*
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!