Author Topic: The Ninth and Tenth Picks  (Read 7361 times)

Re: The Ninth and Tenth Picks
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As always I think it makes far more sense to look at ranges in the draft rather than specific pick slots.

The sample size is just too small for specific slots, and really what you care about is what caliber of player tends to be available in the particular area of the draft that your team's pick falls at.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As always I think it makes far more sense to look at ranges in the draft rather than specific pick slots.

The sample size is just too small for specific slots, and really what you care about is what caliber of player tends to be available in the particular area of the draft that your team's pick falls at.

Yeah, I threw in the 8th vs. 30th example just for fun. 

The thing for me is that mostly these non-linear draft results are probably just random.

I do think it goes towards showing, though, that we probably don't know as much as we think we know  on and around draft night about given draftees and their potential (or lack of it).

The one thing we can count on in the draft is surprises. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I do think it goes towards showing, though, that we probably don't know as much as we think we know  on and around draft night about given draftees and their potential (or lack of it).

Yes, which is why the recent conversation about what a "strong" or "weak" draft really is was fairly confusing to me.

I think the evidence is pretty strong that you're far better off picking in the top 10 than anywhere else, though.  It just matters less where your pick falls within the top ten, unless you're talking about one of the top three picks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Yes, which is why the recent conversation about what a "strong" or "weak" draft really is was fairly confusing to me.

I think the evidence is pretty strong that you're far better off picking in the top 10 than anywhere else, though.  It just matters less where your pick falls within the top ten, unless you're talking about one of the top three picks.

Yes, you're clearly better off picking in the top ten. 

However, there are always at least a few vey good to great pros picked outside the top ten.  If you end up outside the top ten, the trick is to find and develop those guys.

Luckily, the Celtics have a good shot at getting at least one top ten pick this season.  If we don't get so lucky, our chances are maximized at finding a star outside the top ten by virtue of having multiple first rounders. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
More evidence that we should hold on and actually make all these draft picks. Hunter or Mickey could end up being better than Frank.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Paul Pierce--10 All Star Games, 1 Finals MVP (Celtic)
Tracy McGrady--7 All Star Games (available when Celtics drafted Billups and Mercer)
Joe Johnson--7 All Star Games (Celtic; traded rookie season)
Shawn Marion--4 All Star Games (picked with former Celtics pick)
Eddie Jones--3 All Star Games (available when Celtics drafted Montross)
Joakim Noah--2 All Star Games (available when Celtics drafted Green, who was traded for Ray Allen)
roy, i think part of your post was cut off. i didnt see the record of all the other teams that also missed out by virtue of not having 20/20 hind sight and perfect foresight. if you were to repost with those teams it would be helpful context.

i once did a quick look at all those "could have, would have" draft misses/pass overs by the san antonio spurs. it was amazing how poorly run that franchise is based upon these obvious misses. they need to fire their top talent scouts NOW.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
If you look at the data long enough, you'll see many other similar things. For example, pick #3 has been more valuable than pick #2.

It's a reflection of how much randomness there is in the draft.

If you look at the "Career PER-minutes" figure here you can get a feel for this.

http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm

made me think of The Lakers this year....hopefully.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 05:13:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tracy McGrady--7 All Star Games (available when Celtics drafted Billups and Mercer)
Joakim Noah--2 All Star Games (available when Celtics drafted Green, who was traded for Ray Allen)
roy, i think part of your post was cut off. i didnt see the record of all the other teams that also missed out by virtue of not having 20/20 hind sight and perfect foresight. if you were to repost with those teams it would be helpful context.

i once did a quick look at all those "could have, would have" draft misses/pass overs by the san antonio spurs. it was amazing how poorly run that franchise is based upon these obvious misses. they need to fire their top talent scouts NOW.

You were that big of a fan of the Pitino / Wallace years, huh?  I didn't know I needed to point out what a dumpster fire our picks were for most of the post-Bird, pre-Danny era.  And sadly, a lot of the picks / trades noted above looked poor at the time, rather than with perfect hindsight.

You didn't think the Joe Johnson trade sucked at the time? You liked trading a lottery pick for Potapenko?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

You were that big of a fan of the Pitino / Wallace years, huh?  I didn't know I needed to point out what a dumpster fire our picks were for most of the post-Bird, pre-Danny era.  And sadly, a lot of the picks / trades noted above looked poor at the time, rather than with perfect hindsight.

You didn't think the Joe Johnson trade sucked at the time? You liked trading a lottery pick for Potapenko?
hmmmph, mpph...whew took me a bit get your words out of my mouth.  ;D my point was a simple one and not related to the list you provide above.

it gains us little to somehow hold any GM to a standard of draft that requires a near 20/20 hindsight when they make future draft picks. every team can be made to look foolish or incompetent using such an approach. that was it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 05:34:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hated the Joe Johnson and Potapenko trade.

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think the standout issues on that list are trading Billups and JJ in their rookie seasons.  Team drafted quality players but didn't wait to try and develop them.  Both of those guys had really nice careers, regardless of who was picked after them.  Imagine what a team built around Billups, Joe, and Pierce could have done (if they could share the ball enough).

I agree that it's easy to make most any GM look stupid by pointing to guys that were drafted after the team's pick in a given draft.  You can only grade these picks based on what was known at the time, though even that is hard because we don't 100% know what was or was not known at the time.

When you see a series of moves or picks that seemed stupid at the time even from the perspective of a fan with limited information, then it gets hard not to hold it against the GM responsible.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Thank God we got Ray instead of Noah  :P
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

hmmmph, mpph...whew took me a bit get your words out of my mouth.  ;D my point was a simple one and not related to the list you provide above.

it gains us little to somehow hold any GM to a standard of draft that requires a near 20/20 hindsight when they make future draft picks. every team can be made to look foolish or incompetent using such an approach. that was it.

I missed the part where Roy was holding GMs to a standard that requires 20/20 hindsight.

It looked like he was simply showing some evidence that our team was a tad more foolish and incompetent than others.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It isn't really that surprising.  A lot of the mid-top 10 picks are based on ceiling, while the latter half of the top 10 (i.e. 9 and 10) are the more solid guys with smaller ceilings that fell a bit (like Pierce). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It isn't really that surprising.  A lot of the mid-top 10 picks are based on ceiling, while the latter half of the top 10 (i.e. 9 and 10) are the more solid guys with smaller ceilings that fell a bit (like Pierce).

For most part, sure.  But then there are guys like Drummond who fall because of questions about their skill level or work ethic (or whatever the heck it was in his case).  He was clearly a pick made because of his very high ceiling, not so much his skill level at the time.
- Mark Twain