Author Topic: Tristant Thompson - will not resign with Cavs for 16-17?  (Read 10336 times)

Re: Tristant Thompson - will not resign with Cavs for 16-17?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I was really wondering how this was all going to work and it is actually becoming an issue. If Irving, Love and Lebron all have max deals, or something close to it, how can they also sign Thompson unless they are just going to pay many many millions in luxury taxes. There is no doubt Thompson is worth the money after watching him dominate the boards last year and stay healthy. If it feels like he is not much better than the Celtics forwards just think about how Thompson would dominate a matchup with any one of the Celtics bigs. The guy was rebounding over entire teams at times in last years playoffs, it was uncanny how many second chance opportunities he afforded the Cavs. Those plays are huge cause they get the Cavs points and break the other team's soul, nothing kills momentum like getting a stop and having to immediately do it again after not getting the defensive rebound.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The guy was rebounding over entire teams at times in last years playoffs, it was uncanny how many second chance opportunities he afforded the Cavs. Those plays are huge cause they get the Cavs points and break the other team's soul, nothing kills momentum like getting a stop and having to immediately do it again after not getting the defensive rebound.

At the same time, how much money do you really want to tie up in a guy doesn't do anything particularly well other than dominate the offensive glass against smaller lineups?

It doesn't help that they've already committed a significant amount to Varejao.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Everybody thinks they're a max player these days.  It's nuts.

Frankly, he's not worth the 80M they offered him in the first place.

I hope they commit the big cash to him anyway. 

Lebron might have a solid career as a GM someday.

Like Mike.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Is Thompson really THAT much better than the Celtics bigs?

Did you miss the playoffs last season? He was like the first one to the ball not only in the defensive end but also offensive end.   

He killed us up front

Relax people.

TT played 4 games against us in the playoffs, and in those 4 games he recorded 3, 7, 11 and 6 rebounds respectively.

That's an average of 9.6 rebounds Per 36 minutes.  That's on par with what Olynyk averaged for us during his rookie season - solid, but hardly spectacular.

He also sucked offensively - he scored 0, 12, 5 and 12 in those four games ro a similar total of around 9 points Per 36 minutes.

The answer is no, he isn't a significant upgrade over our bigs. He's honestly no better than Sully, Lee, Johnson, Olynyk or Zeller as an overall player.   

EVERYBODY looks good when you're playing on a championship contender.  Look how good Perkins looked when he was playing with Pierce, Ray and KG.  Look how good he looked a couple of years later when he ended up in OKC.

Anybody who offers Tristan Thompson a max contract (or anything near it) based on the 9 point and 9 rebound per 36 performance he had against us in the playoffs is out of their minds.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:36:46 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 08:41:05 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

Owners are so greedy these days.

fixed this for you
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
Link? If you're sourcing this guy, he's not reporting anything concrete.

https://twitter.com/michaelgrange
Windhorst has a piece on ESPN

You mean the same Windhorst that said Lebron wasnt signing until the TT deal was sorted?

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/617403143257784320

The same Windhorst that said Lebron would never play with Kyrie.

It's just posturing.  Even with the cap going up, there's no guarantee that Thompson gets offered $16 million per year as a free agent. 

The one thing that surprises me is that another team like Philly didn't sign Thompson to a max offer sheet.  I guess they value their relationship with the Cavs over their relationship with Thompson's agent.

Why does that surprise you? Teams collude all the time. That's why they invented restricted free agency

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
Is Thompson really THAT much better than the Celtics bigs?

No he is not

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

The one thing that surprises me is that another team like Philly didn't sign Thompson to a max offer sheet.  I guess they value their relationship with the Cavs over their relationship with Thompson's agent.

I get the sense the Sixers have already greatly irritated a number of NBA agents. 

Probably they prize GM relationships over agent relationships because they know the only way they're getting back among the best teams in the league is via the draft and trade.

Players and agents hate Philly

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

Like Mike.

He will get a lot of money next offseason when everyone has cap space if Cleveland doesn't sign him. They can't spend the money on anything else anyway since they are over the cap so they should sign him. Plus it would be a bad look if they didn't.

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Like Mike.

He will get a lot of money next offseason when everyone has cap space if Cleveland doesn't sign him. They can't spend the money on anything else anyway since they are over the cap so they should sign him. Plus it would be a bad look if they didn't.

Yeah, I honestly think that if TT walks away from Cleveland, it could actually hurt them a lot. 

They picked up Mo Williams to basically replace JR Smith, and aside from that they really haven't added anybody to improve their roster. Who knows how long they might be without Kevin Love (and how long it will take after his return before he gets his game back).  Varejao was already declining as it is, and coming back from a major injury likely won't help. 

If they lose Thompson as well, they could actually get significantly worse...and yet with so much cap space committed to Lebron, Love, Irving, Mosgov and Shumpert they don't really have the space to sign a replacement...and won't have for years.

I think this is a classic case where Thompson is worth more to the Cavs then he is to any other team because the Cavs are so far over the cap that the only way they can secure talent is be re-signing existing players...so I feel like their securing of Thompson could be more critical to them than people realise.

If Love doesn't return until near the All-Star break, and then it takes him half a season to get his form back...then that Thompson / Mosgov front court pairing could be pretty critical for them.

Plus Lebron has played over 900 games and 35,000 minutes over his 12 year career so far, and has played over 92% of possible games over that stretch.  He's had a ridiculously healthy career,   and now that he's just moving in to his 30's you have to wonder if all of those minutes will start taking their toll soon.

I mean KG was at exactly the same point in his career when he got traded to Boston (30 years old, 12th season in the league) and up until that point he was rediculously durable (he had played in 94% of possible games).  He basically had one healthy season in Boston in 2008, and then from there it all went downhill pretty suddenly.

If something similar happens to Lebron (who has had a very similar career so far in terms of minutes / games / health) the Cavs situation could fall apart very quickly given how committed they are financially over the next 4-5 years.

Especially given the questionable medical history of Kevin Love.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:30:32 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Like Mike.

Yeah, I honestly think that if TT walks away from Cleveland, it could actually hurt them a lot. 

They picked up Mo Williams to basically replace JR Smith, and aside from that they really haven't added anybody to improve their roster. Who knows how long they might be without Kevin Love (and how long it will take after his return before he gets his game back).  Varejao was already declining as it is, and coming back from a major injury likely won't help. 

If they lose Thompson as well, they could actually get significantly worse...and yet with so much cap space committed to Lebron, Love, Irving, Mosgov and Shumpert they don't really have the space to sign a replacement...and won't have for years.

I think this is a classic case where Thompson is worth more to the Cavs then he is to any other team because the Cavs are so far over the cap that the only way they can secure talent is be re-signing existing players...so I feel like their securing of Thompson could be more critical to them than people realise.

If Love doesn't return until near the All-Star break, and then it takes him half a season to get his form back...then that Thompson / Mosgov front court pairing could be pretty critical for them.

Plus Lebron has played over 900 games and 35,000 minutes over his 12 year career so far, and has played over 92% of possible games over that stretch.  He's had a ridiculously healthy career,   and now that he's just moving in to his 30's you have to wonder if all of those minutes will start taking their toll soon.

I mean KG was at exactly the same point in his career when he got traded to Boston (30 years old, 12th season in the league) and up until that point he was rediculously durable (he had played in 94% of possible games).  He basically had one healthy season in Boston in 2008, and then from there it all went downhill pretty suddenly.

If something similar happens to Lebron (who has had a very similar career so far in terms of minutes / games / health) the Cavs situation could fall apart very quickly given how committed they are financially over the next 4-5 years.

Klove is scheduled to be ready for training camp. Not sure what you are on about

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Like Mike.

Totally agree. Thompson would be a HUGE loss for the Cavs. While Kevin Love is far and away the better player of the two, Thompson is a much better fit for a team with two ball dominant stars in LeBron and Kyrie. The ideal turn of events for Cleveland would be as follows IMO:

1. Lock Thompson up long term
2. Once his contract allows for it, trade Kevin Love for depth and future picks
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 10:44:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Definitely posturing. If reports are accurate that LeBron wants him back, he's coming back.

He was a beast in the playoffs, fits well with what they do, and is insurance for K Love in the event of injury. He also has the same agent as LeBron... be shocked if they don't get something long-term done.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 10:49:42 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Like Mike.

Totally agree. Thompson would be a HUGE loss for the Cavs. While Kevin Love is far and away the better player of the two, Thompson is a much better fit for a team with two ball dominant stars in LeBron and Kyrie. The ideal turn of events for Cleveland would be as follows IMO:

1. Lock Thompson up long term
2. Once his contract allows for it, trade Kevin Love for depth and future picks

Yh max out the significantly less talented and replaceable player then trade the more talented and less replaceable player for picks . Esp when you trying to win now! Ok then

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 10:57:06 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
What a diva wants

A diva gets

Remember WHO is running this show